Worlds Greatest Wiffle Ball Tournament

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I remember playing wiffle ball home run derby a lot as a kid. What was so great about it was it only took two guys and could be played almost anywhere.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had some wicked breaking stuff. I was always Carl Yastrzemski at the plate.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Half round, cork ball, wiffle Ball. As kids we played some serious games of each. If you could hit those things you could hit anything.

Except an 80+mph fastball.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We used my garage. The pitcher would stand in the driveway and the batter at the back of the garage, a wheel barrow behind him and on its end, turned backward so that rear wheels helped frame the top of the strike zone.

A ball hit across the street on the fly was considered yard. I did yard regularly.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had some wicked breaking stuff. I was always Carl Yastrzemski at the plate.

You're still pretty wicked.

Half round, cork ball, wiffle Ball. As kids we played some serious games of each. If you could hit those things you could hit anything.

Except an 80+mph fastball.

Cork ball....we would pitch underhanded flicking the cork off two fingers and get a natural riser. Used a broomstick for a bat.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We used my garage. The pitcher would stand in the driveway and the batter at the back of the garage, a wheel barrow behind him and on its end, turned backward so that rear wheels helped frame the top of the strike zone.

A ball hit across the street on the fly was considered yard. I did yard regularly.

You're fooking awesome. Serious.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A thin broomstick. Anything thicker and you couldn't react to the damned thing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coot, this was serious stuff. I studied this guy's stance and got it perfected, the bat height, angle and all. Yaz had the most amazing uncoil of anyone until Reggie arrived. 8301967new-york-ny-carl-yastrzemski-shown-in-a-batting-stance-at-home-picture-id515299060.jpeg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A thin broomstick. Anything thicker and you couldn't react to the damned thing.
That sounds like stickball. That was before my time.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We played with a wine bottle cork. You could put a couple winds of masking tape on the cork and get some grease.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stick ball....couldn't afford a wiffle ball....a cork wrapped in adhesive tape which was also used to wrap the stick for grip

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tell you a short story about Yaz. I went with my group to Little League Day at the original Comiskey Park in '67, the year he won the Triple Crown. I think he was the last player to do it.

The Red Sox and my beloved White Sox. We're way out in the left field upper deck. A friend and I went to go get a Coke between innings. I decided to get a Red Sox helmet. I was that much of a Yaz fan. Probably not a good idea.

I no sooner put the helmet on my head than a kid from another Little League group, an all-black group, knocked it off my head. I reached down to pick it up and another kid kicked me in the face. I'm now surrounded. I knew I was in trouble. I grabbed the helmet and somehow was able to sidestep about four or five of them and haul ass back to my seat.

Comiskey Park was a freaking adventure back then. The South Side of Chicago continues to be an adventure.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I didn't finish the video, but grating the ball should be illegal.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017

And used masking tape to make the strike zone. if the ball landed in the box it was a strike. I used throw knuckle balls with the whiffle balls. Man playing whiffle balls was a blast.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We played with a wine bottle cork. You could put a couple winds of masking tape on the cork and get some grease.

This is how we played as a kid. And I know damn well I am half you age. You could make that cork do some really wicked things. Broom stick too.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And used masking tape to make the strike zone. if the ball landed in the box it was a strike. I used throw knuckle balls with the whiffle balls. Man playing whiffle balls was a blast.
I was Hoyt Wilhelm with the kuckleball. Pretty badass flutter I had on the ball I have to admit.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is how we played as a kid. And I know damn well I am half you age. You could make that cork do some really wicked things. Broom stick too.

Tape a penny to the base of the cork. Then see what you can do with it. You better have a thin stick. The cork ball they're showing on the internet is not cork ball. Real cork ball is with a wine bottle cork. Anything else is for sissies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb