Wow the Gators are #11 in the first CFP poll...

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
2-2 against teams currently in the playoff rankings. Unfortunately, that number won’t improve the rest of the year, but we’re a lock for a NY6 bowl if we finish 10-2. That’s quite the turn-around after a year in which we very plausibly could have gone 2-9.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Nice to get a little Respect, lets go win some ball games!!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just win baby.

Not sure how much next year's class will do to improve our overall talent level and depth. If Mullen continues to coach this team up, we are probably looking at another year of being a top 20 team and then hopefully in 2020 make a run at the playoffs. That would be a hell of a feat. It simply takes time. Couple of years of overachieving with current talent level, then a couple of years of getting top recruits to come here and developing them in order to get to the elite level again.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
2-2 against teams currently in the playoff rankings. Unfortunately, that number won’t improve the rest of the year, but we’re a lock for a NY6 bowl if we finish 10-2. That’s quite the turn-around after a year in which we very plausibly could have gone 2-9.
0-8 in conference play speculated many after KY.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I was shocked to read the title of this thread. Unbelievable. Dan is definitely The Man for us, and this team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just win baby.

Not sure how much next year's class will do to improve our overall talent level and depth.
Sadly it looks like we are going to lose more bluechippers than we sign.

If recruiting doesnt turn around in a huge way, we need to see significant changes.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly it looks like we are going to lose more bluechippers than we sign.

If recruiting doesnt turn around in a huge way, we need to see significant changes.
Yeah, many of you guys follow the recruiting and roster way more than me, but it just seems that you aren't going to be elite until you get a squad full of elite players. And you aren't going to get those players until you prove that you can put them in a program that can win. Its a tall order after multiple coaching disasters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And you aren't going to get those players until you prove that you can put them in a program that can win..
That's not the way it works. Either you can sell the product or you can't. You are either a good recruiter or you aren't. Hell, Tagelwain still has a good class. Plenty of guys have terrible first seasons and knock it out of the park in recruiting.

I suspect we need some big upgrades at position coaches to fix this. There were plenty of people hiring last time and some of our picks need to be changed quickly.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's not the way it works. Either you can sell the product or you can't. You are either a good recruiter or you aren't. Hell, Tagelwain still has a good class.

I suspect we need some big upgrades at position coaches to fix this. There were plenty of people hiring last time and some of our picks need to be changed quickly.
Well I'd think that winning goes a long way toward selling the product. "Man, if we can win 10 games with these guys, imagine what we can do around here with guys like you!"

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, many of you guys follow the recruiting and roster way more than me, but it just seems that you aren't going to be elite until you get a squad full of elite players. And you aren't going to get those players until you prove that you can put them in a program that can win. Its a tall order after multiple coaching disasters.
I think we're gonna be fine. For the first time in years our plan B's are 4*s. Seems like Mac's were always 3*s - hell his A's were "diamond in the rough" 3*s. You build a quality roster when your 2 deep are blue chips. And you do that by recruiting better than 2/3rds blue chippers which we are likely to do this year (as we did last year).
Hopefully we start pulling in some 5*s and I gotta believe winning out just might lean someone in our favor.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Got a win against a top 4 team, 11 is about right... I just love the fact that UCF who is undefeated is 12... behind a 2 loss team.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Funniest thing is seeing Notre Dame at #4. We all know what follows.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
They clearly haven’t seen Doug’s data

giphy.gif

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN says we make NY6 and play Urban in Peach Bowl. If that's the case, living here in Jawja, I'm going.

What's to play for without a title possibility? A lot compared to last year.

Our worst FPI the rest of the way out is this weekend - 69.9%. The remaining three games, SC, Idaho, and FSU, are all over 70%. Winning out, finishing 10-2, is something I'm sure NONE of us imagined at this time last year. It just shows how a positive change in coaching can change attitudes. As secretary/webmaster of our Gator Club, each week I write an e-mail to the club about the time, etc, of the subsequent week's game. But I also open by a quick recap of the previous week's game. And as I wrote - the outcome, disappointing. The fight in the team as evidenced by one of the best goal-line stands in UF history (maybe 2nd to LSU two years ago), extremely encouraging. Mullen and his staff have made all the difference in the world.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN says we make NY6 and play Urban in Peach Bowl. If that's the case, living here in Jawja, I'm going.

What's to play for without a title possibility? A lot compared to last year.

Our worst FPI the rest of the way out is this weekend - 69.9%. The remaining three games, SC, Idaho, and FSU, are all over 70%. Winning out, finishing 10-2, is something I'm sure NONE of us imagined at this time last year. It just shows how a positive change in coaching can change attitudes. As secretary/webmaster of our Gator Club, each week I write an e-mail to the club about the time, etc, of the subsequent week's game. But I also open by a quick recap of the previous week's game. And as I wrote - the outcome, disappointing. The fight in the team as evidenced by one of the best goal-line stands in UF history (maybe 2nd to LSU two years ago), extremely encouraging. Mullen and his staff have made all the difference in the world.
And they have KY playing UCF in the Fiesta. Will be interesting to see how it all actually plays out. I just can't see KY in the Fiesta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.