WTF coaching moments from the UT game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this game exposed our lack of depth on defense.
Hmmmm.....maybe but maybe not.

It also forced us to play Slaton and Campbell who, at least at first glance to me in real time, looked like our best two DTs, better than the 1s.

Out LBs are pretty average and our backups are terrible.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I rejoice for any Gator victory. But, I still realize that we have an OC that hid in a booth because he could not face the music and we still have a coach who is inarticulate enough to not capitalize on a Hail Mary victory and needs to be sent back to Montana to farm goats.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well I hope this post does not put anyone to sleep but there is so much to digest. What an Ending OMG. I left the game after it was over shaking my head and knowing it never should have happened, but thanx to 2 Jackwads, it did.

With Bytch Jones, can you please tell me how in the FVKK, after converting a 3rd down and 18 play to get to the opponents 1 yard line, you call a pass play that travels 35 yards horizoatally on 1st down, all to try and get one yard, LOL? (Should have been picked) You just converted 3rd and 18, the defense is demoralized and you have a RB that we could not tackle all day? Thank you Bytch. Do you still have a job? Then on your final drive, after CeCe committs a face mask penalty you actually call the perfect play and the pass was a little low and kelly could not haul it in, but then on 2nd and 3rd downs, you throw on both with all your timeouts and a RB that we could not tackle all day? Thanx again Bytch. BTW Kelly's unsportsmanlike penalty after he scored a TD should have clinched the game for us b/c we got great field position after the kickoff and scored a TD, but could not manage a 10 point lead late! But thanx for trying to help us Kelly.

Now onto Butters. OMG where do I start? The main theme throughout the game with Butters is ZERO attention to detail. It is so apparent in all phases!! First drive of the game we go straight down the field, only to have back to back dumbass mental penalties that killed the drive. Tried to speed everyhting up while everything was going well, dumbass Butters. We also had a dumbass mental penalty on UT's drive that netted them a FG in the 1st half by being offsides on defense. At the end of the 1st half we get the ball back and get a first down, so UT is going to concede the half and not use their TO's. I understand trying to score but on 1st and 10, we throw the ball 40 yards sideways (should have been picked and returned for a TD) that went incomplete. Should have run on 1st down, see what it netted, then decided to proceed or just go into the locker room. if you were going to throw there you should have thrown downfield. Then throw again on 3rd, incomplete, give UT time after the punt. They bust a huge run on 1st down (that can't happen), but luckily miss a FG. Total mismanagement of the clock at the end of the half. Reminded me exactly like in 2004 at home against UT. Zook did the exact same thing, mismanaged the clock at the end of the 1st half, Ut got ball back, and completed a hail mary TD on last play of half!!! The end of the game clock management was just mind boggling. I heard this BS excuse and all I can say to Butters is don't THINK you moron, you must react to what's going on and the facts. Short of 1st down, should have been on ball for a quick QB sneak, then you could have either spiked on 1st down and regrouped or even taken a timeout as you had 2 left. Your excuses and reasoning just show how stupid and out of touch you are. Your innate ability to manage anything is ZERO. But b/c you are a moron, we got lucky.

And I do not want to just talk about the offense., Sadly we are awful and void of talent on defense, especially at D-Tackle and LB. In fact we are awful at both positions. But if I may, regardless of talent, you can't ever give up that huge run at the end of the first half when UT was conceding the half ( see Webb, Ralph, Vanderbilt 2015). Then after scoring an offensive TD, yes an offensive TD to take a 20-10 lead, the defense immediately goes back out and surrenders a TD drive that take 2, yes TWO plays, covers 75, yes SEVENTY-FIVE YARDS, in about 30 seconds. How in the FVKK is that possible? those types of things can happen in the 1st or 3rd quarters for example but NEVER at the end of halves or end of Games!!!!. I know the D was on the field the entire 2nd half and was gassed, but that can't happen, ever!!!

In regards to the turnovers, that is not directly Butters' fault, but it comes back to attention to detail. We get a huge 70 yard run and Davis gets stripped at the one yd. line. It has to be a lesson to always have the ball high and tight and never assume anything. Credit UT for chasing the play down, but again that is a about attention to detail. Defensively, we have got to do better at managing winning situations. We are sorely talent deficient on defense and I know why we never blitz, but funny how UT had the perfect call every time we did blitz. something is tipping the opponent off. Also our O-line is still horrendous. UT had 5 and 6 guys in the box all day begging us to run, and other than 2 long runs, we could not block anyone. BTW as I have said all along, Thompson is our best RB top to bottom, if only he can hold onto the ball. Perrine missed some holes again today b/c he has no vision.

After this game, all I can say is both teams are at best average and probably both are below average. These 2 head coaches are two of or the two worst head coaches in D-1 football. I am happy for the players as they got the W, but the more I thought about it, UT is going to be the biggest winner b/c at the end of the day Bytch Jones is going to get fired (if he has not been already) and we are stuck with non game managing, ZERO attention to detail, PHAT AZZ, Butters!!!!:butters:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We completed precisely 1, yes 1 pass in the entire game that traveled over 10 yards down the field.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to start a thread entitled Dumb and Dumber regarding the coaching...
I had this exact same thought!

BTW I agree completely with your assertion that Mac is poor on attention to details in all phases. This drives me absolutely mad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We completed precisely 1, yes 1 pass in the entire game that traveled over 10 yards down the field.
Frankly, the chance of him getting better soon while only throwing one downfield pass per quarter on third and long when everyone knows its coming is pretty much nil.

We shouldnt be surprised though bc the screen pass IS Butters offense.

southerngrilling

Dec 5, 2015
do not fall for fools gold. butters is not the guy. uf needs to move on from this joke show and get chip kelly before UT or auburn does. both of their coaches will be fired st end of season.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I thought this game exposed our lack of depth on defense.
Nobody has the depth or talent on defense to endure this putrid offense. They were on the field for more the 20 minutes in the second half. Lets not forget how many TD's they saved that would have put the game out of reach.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014

BTW I agree completely with your assertion that Mac is poor on attention to details in all phases. This drives me absolutely mad.
Thats because this staff is lazy.......particularly Mac. I don't know lazy asses that are paying attention to details.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Man, fire foley with an absolute grand slam hall of fame post. Wish I could like it 1000 times.

:butters:

Many thanx Durty, I am not very popular on here, but that is okay. I have to be true to myself and be able to look at myself in the mirror. I can only call it the way i see it!!!!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thats because this staff is lazy.......particularly Mac. I don't know lazy asses that are paying attention to details.

Team is never ready to play. After the first possession of scripted plays the offense just loses all continuity. It's like we don't practice at all or only cover maybe 35% of what needs to be drilled into the players.....it's like, oh well, we'll try to cover that part next week.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This is Butters post game presser....go to the 2:00 minute mark for Butters explanation of why he didn't call a time out with 33-34 seconds left....IT IS ABSOLUTELY DEFINITIVE as to what is wrong with our football program in a nutshell.

Butters first obfuscates with some crap about them using a timeout for a missed field goal or some shiit. Then he states that 44 seconds is the trigger point....errr trigger time...then he opines that he THOUGHT Franks had a first down and was shocked the refs didn't at least measure. Then he talks about we were about to find out Eddies range....
Finally, he realizes none of this shiit is making sense and just says "whatever"....

Good God man the game is on the line with arguably the best field goal kicker in the nation and you have 2 timeouts in your pocket. You totally fcked it up....just damn admit it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The problem I had with Mac not calling timeout at the end of the game was the fact that he said he was waiting for a measurement. In some cases, I could let that excuse slide, but not in this one. We had just had a touchback on the kickoff, so the ball was placed on the 25. In that situation, if the ball is spotted so the nose is touching ANY part of the 35 yard line, it's a first down without measuring, because you know the 10 yards were gained. Since the ball wasn't spotted on any part of the white paint of the 35, they weren't going to measure. They'll never measure that. Ever. Mac has been a coach about as long as I've been alive and he didn't realize that??

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Volts have 2nd and 10, gain 4 yards but are flagged for illegal forward motion. We decline the penalty and opt for 3rd and 6 vice 2nd and 15.
I kept asking everyone around me WTF happened. Did I miss something? Did the ref screw up? Everyone had the same blank WTF look on their faces. Again, for about the 1000th time in the last 8 years of Gator football, I was flabbergasted.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
and yet, 12-1 vs Tenn last 13 games...purty kewl

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We DO have a ton of playmakers...SOS as O-Coordinator would average 40 points a game calling the plays no doubt about it baby dolls!!

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Everyone is focusing on the failure to call a time out (and rightfully so). I'm still fuming about declining the penalty to make it 3rd and 6 instead of 2nd and 15. He also accepted a penalty to make it 3rd down instead of declining to make it a 4th down. (This worked out for us, but it was damn lucky)

Also, why do we always get the ball to start!? EVERYONE, from pop warner to NFL defers so you can start the 2nd half with the ball.

It ain't kewl, it's donkey-@ss stupid.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone is focusing on the failure to call a time out (and rightfully so). I'm still fuming about declining the penalty to make it 3rd and 6 instead of 2nd and 15. He also accepted a penalty to make it 3rd down instead of declining to make it a 4th down. (This worked out for us, but it was damn lucky)

Also, why do we always get the ball to start!? EVERYONE, from pop warner to NFL defers so you can start the 2nd half with the ball.

SOS always took the ball when we won the toss. He liked to score first. Of course, his offenses were usually good enough to score on that first drive...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Stats show you're much more likely to win a game if you score first. It's obviously not set in stone, but the odds are in your favor if you score first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.