WTF coaching moments from the UT game?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The problem I had with Mac not calling timeout at the end of the game was the fact that he said he was waiting for a measurement. In some cases, I could let that excuse slide, but not in this one. We had just had a touchback on the kickoff, so the ball was placed on the 25. In that situation, if the ball is spotted so the nose is touching ANY part of the 35 yard line, it's a first down without measuring, because you know the 10 yards were gained. Since the ball wasn't spotted on any part of the white paint of the 35, they weren't going to measure. They'll never measure that. Ever. Mac has been a coach about as long as I've been alive and he didn't realize that??

As I have said all along Squatch, if it involves ANY "attention to detail", it ain't happening with Butters. You are 100% correct, that even if one dimple of the football is touching the 35 yd. line, it would be a 1st down, otherwise it is play on. But this is WAY WAY WAY too much detail for Butters to involve himself with as he walks back and forth and the only reason his is not scratching his sack is that his arms are constantly crossed. So your explanation that even a pop warner player would know, was way over Butters head. And b/c of his ineptitude, we strike on a play that never would have happened had he had any clue!!!!. BTW I will take better understanding and attention to detail going forward over stupid, dumb luck!!!!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Stats show you're much more likely to win a game if you score first. It's obviously not set in stone, but the odds are in your favor if you score first.

Not that I care about coin toss results, but I believe UT won the toss yesterday and deferred. We ended up with the ball first b/c of that. Was not our choice.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone is focusing on the failure to call a time out (and rightfully so). I'm still fuming about declining the penalty to make it 3rd and 6 instead of 2nd and 15. He also accepted a penalty to make it 3rd down instead of declining to make it a 4th down. (This worked out for us, but it was damn lucky)

Also, why do we always get the ball to start!? EVERYONE, from pop warner to NFL defers so you can start the 2nd half with the ball.

It ain't kewl, it's donkey-@ss stupid.

I'm still waiting on his explanation for that one. There's no excuse, no time pressure, no nothing. How about simply paying attention. Maybe he was making a call to see how his BBQ sauce was moving.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Many thanx Durty, I am not very popular on here, but that is okay. I have to be true to myself and be able to look at myself in the mirror. I can only call it the way i see it!!!!
you hit it spot on, couldn't have said it better myself. We got an absolute moron for a HC.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Correction: lack of talent on defense.

Or as usual lack of good offense. I understand some of the suspended would have been useful since the defense was on the field a lot. Perhaps those fumbles would not have happened either.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
What a horribly coached game on both sides of the ball yesterday and for both teams. The f****** on offense by both teams were mammoth and then you add those two head coaches to the mix and it's really a cluster you know what.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
We were never going to try a long field goal, the plan was to run out the clock,thankfully Franks ignored orders and tossed one deep, no doubt in my mind if that ball had been picked that he would have been on the bench on OT.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Volts have 2nd and 10, gain 4 yards but are flagged for illegal forward motion. We decline the penalty and opt for 3rd and 6 vice 2nd and 15.

That stupidity has Mactard written all over it. Please tell me Shannon isn't that stupid.
OBTW: TN got the first down, of course.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
3rd and 19 for the Vols, what are 1 and 1a to cover in that situation? A draw or a screen. Yet somehow our coaches don't understand that.
They also don't understand how to use the freaking middle of the field. Our top 3 plays passing came over the middle (yes 1 was the last play). Start running more slants...gets yards and prevents dlines from getting to the qb

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They also don't understand how to us the freaking middle of the field. Our top 3 plays passing came over the middle (yes 1 was the last play). Star running me slants...gets yards and prevents dlines from getting to the qb
Being too afraid/conservative to throw over the middle allows them to blitz at will. Our OL isn't good but anytime you try to block 5 or more guys, your OL will look even worse.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As did the Michigan game, we don't have the talented bodies this year.

I think we have a good bit of talent on defense. The problem is, the ones who have the talent to play in the SEC, are mostly freshmen and haven't been in the weight room enough yet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we have a good bit of talent on defense. The problem is, the ones who have the talent to play in the SEC, are mostly freshmen and haven't been in the weight room enough yet.

It's talented bodies nav, we don't have depth to sustain right now. the kids will get better, and willprobably be better at the end of the season. Just right now it is what it is.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's talented bodies nav, we don't have depth to sustain right now. the kids will get better, and willprobably be better at the end of the season. Just right now it is what it is.

Yeah, we are thin on talent depth wise in some spots for sure.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As I have said all along Squatch, if it involves ANY "attention to detail", it ain't happening with Butters. You are 100% correct, that even if one dimple of the football is touching the 35 yd. line, it would be a 1st down, otherwise it is play on. But this is WAY WAY WAY too much detail for Butters to involve himself with as he walks back and forth and the only reason his is not scratching his sack is that his arms are constantly crossed. So your explanation that even a pop warner player would know, was way over Butters head. And b/c of his ineptitude, we strike on a play that never would have happened had he had any clue!!!!. BTW I will take better understanding and attention to detail going forward over stupid, dumb luck!!!!

Remember when he was first hired and in almost every press conference he talked about "the little things" and "attention to detail"?

:jerkstore:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Mac claimed that he thought Franks got the 1st down on the scramble( honestly I thought at least a measurement would happen), but it's still inexcusable.

if the refs blew the whistleto stop the clock then he got the first. If you call that TO, and a replay shows first down then youd get the TO back anyway with the time back on the clock. If not, well you needed the TO anyway.

I can buy him thinking they should measure, even if he missed that 'detail' about any of the ball being marked over the line. However, as HBC, it is your job, and your staff should support you on this, to CALL THE TIMEOUT regardless. Ensure that the refs are going to measure, and as Law points out, if they aren't then you needed the TO anyway. Dumb non-TO by the entire UF staff.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Also, why do we always get the ball to start!? EVERYONE, from pop warner to NFL defers so you can start the 2nd half with the ball.

SOS always took the ball when we won the toss. He liked to score first. Of course, his offenses were usually good enough to score on that first drive...

As noted, SOS always wanted to score first. I think with this staff, part of it is wanting to set a tone by using that scripted opening drive to get an initial lead and get some confidence amongst the offensive staff and players. The alternative is to let the other team have the ball first, and if they score, I think it effects Mac (some) and Nuss (a lot more) in how they call the plays - to the point of deviating from the scripted drive or doubting your team's ability to score on the drive and keep up. Bottom line, we've seen we can't play call offensively outside that first drive with any sense of consistency or logic. I believe the intent is to shoot your load prematurely, hoping it sticks (pun not intended) and put the other team in catch up mode since your team (err....your STAFF) has not shown a lot of ability to play (call) from behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator