WVU spring game: Will Grier has the arm, experience to move WVU

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really? Please find where I ever said he was innocent. The truth is he was taking a supplement that was LEGAL UP UNTIL A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE HE WAS TESTED.....Maybe he didn't get the memo? Maybe the staff forgot to tell him about the change? Who knows and at this point w ho gives a f vck. You don't run talented players off for BS like that at the position of most need....And please, about those other players that said he had to go.....I'm sure it would be real smart of them to say it was Molly McButters fault while they're still playing for him right?
C'mon seriously. Take one look at what McButters has done to the QB position since he's been here.....It's just been one endless train wreck.

You continue to provide the narrative that Grier was "run off", but you have no idea if that was actually true. As it has been said many times in this thread... we don't know what happened. The most likely scenario in my mind is that the Griers did push McElwain for some sort of promise that he will get his starting job back and Mac wasn't going to be bullied by a kid and his Dad.

Is your belief that Grier came in and said... "sorry coach, I made a mistake, but I look forward to continuing to practice and help the team until I am eligible again" - and Mac said... no kid... I think it is best you transfer? There is no way I see this as what happened.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's quite a few on this list I'd have taken....and they won't be available next year or the year after (if we're having a job search) due to the way contracts are written these days (unless we want to pay a $10+ million buyout, plus McElwain's buyout - if he's let go):

Who?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You continue to provide the narrative that Grier was "run off", but you have no idea if that was actually true. As it has been said many times in this thread... we don't know what happened. The most likely scenario in my mind is that the Griers did push McElwain for some sort of promise that he will get his starting job back and Mac wasn't going to be bullied by a kid and his Dad.

Is your belief that Grier came in and said... "sorry coach, I made a mistake, but I look forward to continuing to practice and help the team until I am eligible again" - and Mac said... no kid... I think it is best you transfer? There is no way I see this as what happened.
Do you honestly believe ANY player who was 2 years into the program and at this level would believe he would be guaranteed a starting spot..... and after coming off a suspension to boot.....That's almost laughable. Everything WG has said since then has shown that he is still bewildered about the whole incident. I believe Mac honestly thought he had a stud in LDR and didn't need Grier. He has only shown bad decision making regarding the QB position since he been here so why is it so hard to believe that he did it here also?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you honestly believe ANY player who was 2 years into the program and at this level would believe he would be guaranteed a starting spot..... and after coming off a suspension to boot.....That's almost laughable. Everything WG has said since then has shown that he is still bewildered about the whole incident. I believe Mac honestly thought he had a stud in LDR and didn't need Grier. He has only shown bad decision making regarding the QB position since he been here so why is it so hard to believe that he did it here also?

So because the Griers has said it, it must be true. As far as any player who has been in a program 2 years asked for a guarantee after suspension... wouldn't be the first, won't be the last.

:headslap:

I forgot that the Griers are perfectly innocent in all of this... you still haven't answered by question of proof that isn't bias Crete... still waiting...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So because the Griers has said it, it must be true.

:headslap:

I forgot that the Griers are perfectly innocent in all of this... you still haven't answered by question of proof that isn't bias Crete... still waiting...
And nobodies given any proof that isn't also biased the other way....MacNoodles? Really, because coaches never lie, right?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And nobodies given any proof that isn't also biased the other way....MacNoodles? Really, because coaches never lie, right?

We aren't talking about other people, you made an accusation, and you have never, ever backed it up with facts.... When facts/context are brought up, you change the subject, like you have done multiple times in this thread alone. Just enjoy pointing it out.

Thank you... :raysgirl:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We aren't talking about other people, you made an accusation, and you have never, ever backed it up with facts.... When facts/context are brought up, you change the subject, like you have done multiple times in this thread alone. Just enjoy pointing it out.

Thank you... :raysgirl:
Dougie you must live in a world of utter complication....Where in the hell have I ever changed the subject regarding this subject?

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dougie you must live in a world off utter complication....Where in the hell have I ever changed the subject regarding this subject?

you mean when have you change or not answered a question directly pointed to you... See above... i asked, then it wasn't about your accusation, but about what other have said.... When context is brought up, you change the conversation... Go back to the Bert conversation, the Griers, Redshirting.. you have a history..

I have a history, I'm an A$$hole... guess what... I'm an A$$hole...

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
you mean when have you change or not answered a question directly pointed to you... See above... i asked, then it wasn't about your accusation, but about what other have said.... When context is brought up, you change the conversation... Go back to the Bert conversation, the Griers, Redshirting.. you have a history..
Yes let's revisit those....First off I was the only one who said Bert was a better coach then McButter's ....The only proof we have of that was a 31-10 ass kicking...but ignore those facts.
I posted a link regarding the "Medical Exemption" rules and qualifiers and it stated exactly what it was that I was saying despite 3 dozen posters trying to make an ass out of me....Again proof.
News flash...more people saying the wrong thing doesn't make it right...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes let's revisit those....First off I was the only one who said Bert was a better coach then McButter's ....The only proof we have of that was a 31-10 ass kicking...but ignore those facts.
I posted a link regarding the "Medical Exemption" rules and qualifiers and it stated exactly what it was that I was saying despite 3 dozen posters trying to make an ass out of me....Again proof.

Crete your so much fun... comparing to middle tier coaches, and thinking one game is proof... I guess Mike Shula is a better head coach than Meyer... Shula did beat him in one game (31-3) proof... I guess those are the only facts you need for that conversation... Butters and Bert are two sides of the same middling coach... If Bert was so good, he would be at a better program by now... but the AD's know what the rest of us except for Foley knows... Butters and Bert are middling coaches for middle tier schools.

What does that second point you have to make offer proof against your accusation... it doesn't.... it's another way for you to divert from you own accusation... it's not proof, just you not providing anything to back up YOUR CLAIMS.

As far as making an ass out of you, you are doing that all on your own... at least you should own it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

You didn't answer the question... I get that you believe Mac thought he had a stud in LDR, but having a stud in LDR doesn't mean that Mac would just kick WG off the team. Mac has consistently shown and said he believes QB depth is important. So why would he kick off a really good potential backup? There has to be a trigger... something that caused Mac to tell WG to leave... or do you believe the scenario I put forth is what happend?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS TIME: Is your belief that Grier came in and said... "sorry coach, I made a mistake, but I look forward to continuing to practice and help the team until I am eligible again" - and Mac said... no kid... I think it is best you transfer? There is no way I see this as what happened.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Tom Herman
Charlie Strong
PJ Fleck
Matt Rhule
Willie Taggert

I personally think these guys resumes are/were better than Muschamp & McElwain's were when they were hired at UF. Strong failed at Texas, but he was put in a no-win situation; his previous experiences at UF and history at Louisville are proven.

I'm not saying any of these coaches are the next Urban, Swinney, or Saban. But they are all solid coaches who did a hell of a job at previous head coaching gigs. Hell, look at the team Taggert left for Strong at USF. That's a team full of 2 and 3 star players who are a top 15 type roster.

And those who say, "Who would YOU hire?" That's a stupid argument/comment. Most people post up ridiculous options that are 99% unattainable . like, "We should offer Urban $10 million to come back!" - Uh, he ain't coming back! or, "We should go after Saban (or Stoops or Swinney, etc).

But, in reality, we should be able to hire a hot up and coming coach. McElwain had 1 good season before he took the UF job. I would have loved to see him do it two years in a row (having 4 years, instead of 3). Our job used to be a top 5 job. I don't think it holds near the prestige that most Gator fans think it does (the same fans who argued our facilities were fine and we don't need an IPF because "We're FLORIDA! Gosh darnit!"

So, those are the coaches I'd have offered. That's my opinion and I'd love to hear yours....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete your so much fun... comparing to middle tier coaches, and thinking one game is proof... I guess Mike Shula is a better head coach than Meyer... Shula did beat him in one game (31-3) proof..
OK, Lets revisit the whole offense thing here which will wrap this ball up tightly for you. Bert is better because he whipped, McButtbutters rear end head to head...he also puts at least 40-50 ranked offenses on the field, has managed to get 2 pretty highly ranked QB's in like 4 years, McButters has none here despite a HUGE recruiting advantage, Bert has coached longer, won more games and has a higher winning percentage.....How many more facts do I need to back that up?
Now what this shows me along with McButters incompetence regarding QB's is that it is HIGHLY probable he made a monumental error in figuring LDR to be better than WG...Not so sure how that is hard to understand. In other words he ran him off.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
PLEASE ANSWER THIS TIME: Is your belief that Grier came in and said... "sorry coach, I made a mistake, but I look forward to continuing to practice and help the team until I am eligible again" - and Mac said... no kid... I think it is best you transfer? There is no way I see this as what happened.
Simple Butters didn't think things through...he didn't think WG was worth the trouble of having to respond to media questions and such...He made that clear 30 seconds after he ushered WG off the podium. Remember WG was supposed to stay with the team, in school and practicing. Never happened and the only thing the Griers were trying to find out is,..... why?
Don't underestimate the short sightedness of a guy who said playing QB is so simple he could teach his dog to do it.....just saying.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OK, Lets revisit the whole offense thing here which will wrap this ball up tightly for you. Bert is better because he whipped, McButtbutters rear end head to head...he also puts at least 40-50 ranked offenses on the field, has managed to get 2 pretty highly ranked QB's in like 4 years, McButters has none here despite a HUGE recruiting advantage, Bert has coached longer, won more games and has a higher winning percentage.....How many more facts do I need to back that up?

Crete you are so much fun... still trying to force your argument, instead of reading what was written, because you have no real answer.... SURPRISE. I said they are two sides of the same coin... you are too busy Bert is so much better, but has only beaten a down Big 10, and had some bottom half finishes in the SEC West. Ok... he has a longer career, and? So does Fulmer was better than Meyer, he had 17 years, he coached longer. I guess 25-26 (10-22 SEC) at Arkansas is HUUUGEE.. you sound like that guys who defended Muschamps 4-8 record.

Now what this shows me along with McButters incompetence regarding QB's is that it is HIGHLY probable he made a monumental error in figuring LDR to be better than WG...Not so sure how that is hard to understand. In other words he ran him off.

And where do you get that McElwain though LDR was better talent that WG? A press that said they were neck and neck.. just like he said that Grier and Harris were neck and neck in 2015? You talk about McElwain being a liar, but we are suppose to trust that, because it fits your argument.... Honestly, are you going with that. Everyone who had watched Fall practices in 2015, knew Grier was doing the majority of the work with the 1s. But your right Crete, don't beleive McElwain unless it fits your argument.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Simple Butters didn't think things through...he didn't think WG was worth the trouble of having to respond to media questions and such...He made that clear 30 seconds after he ushered WG off the podium. Remember WG was supposed to stay with the team, in school and practicing. Never happened and the only thing the Griers were trying to find out is,..... why?
Don't underestimate the short sightedness of a guy who said playing QB is so simple he could teach his dog to do it.....just saying.

According to the Griers. Right Chad?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tom Herman
Charlie Strong
PJ Fleck
Matt Rhule
Willie Taggert

I personally think these guys resumes are/were better than Muschamp & McElwain's were when they were hired at UF. Strong failed at Texas, but he was put in a no-win situation; his previous experiences at UF and history at Louisville are proven.

I'm not saying any of these coaches are the next Urban, Swinney, or Saban. But they are all solid coaches who did a hell of a job at previous head coaching gigs. Hell, look at the team Taggert left for Strong at USF. That's a team full of 2 and 3 star players who are a top 15 type roster.

And those who say, "Who would YOU hire?" That's a stupid argument/comment. Most people post up ridiculous options that are 99% unattainable . like, "We should offer Urban $10 million to come back!" - Uh, he ain't coming back! or, "We should go after Saban (or Stoops or Swinney, etc).

But, in reality, we should be able to hire a hot up and coming coach. McElwain had 1 good season before he took the UF job. I would have loved to see him do it two years in a row (having 4 years, instead of 3). Our job used to be a top 5 job. I don't think it holds near the prestige that most Gator fans think it does (the same fans who argued our facilities were fine and we don't need an IPF because "We're FLORIDA! Gosh darnit!"

So, those are the coaches I'd have offered. That's my opinion and I'd love to hear yours....

BMF, first the comparison should be Butters. It should be higher. Fleck needs at least a couple of years of a real university coaching, going from Central Michigan, isn't like going from Duke, Utah, and jumping to UF. Fleck still has a lot to prove, McElwain got the same media bj the year we picked him up. ESPN is ESPN. Strong a defensive mind, and I beleive we should have an offensive minded coach at UF. Strong is a perfect fit for USF. Herman won't be in the conversation here, but he has two years at Houston first year was great, second year should have been better. I personally think Texas reached for him, but it might be a good fit.

Willie Taggert would have been an interesting hire. But only one year of his 7 coaching has he had less than 5 losses. Rhule would have been interesting, Temple Head Coach with NFL background. Temple got better every year under him, which I can't say about Taggert at either stop. Rhule is also a candidate I know the least about.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF, first the comparison should be Butters. It should be higher. Fleck needs at least a couple of years of a real university coaching, going from Central Michigan, isn't like going from Duke, Utah, and jumping to UF. Fleck still has a lot to prove, McElwain got the same media bj the year we picked him up. ESPN is ESPN. Strong a defensive mind, and I beleive we should have an offensive minded coach at UF. Strong is a perfect fit for USF. Herman won't be in the conversation here, but he has two years at Houston first year was great, second year should have been better. I personally think Texas reached for him, but it might be a good fit.

Willie Taggert would have been an interesting hire. But only one year of his 7 coaching has he had less than 5 losses. Rhule would have been interesting, Temple Head Coach with NFL background. Temple got better every year under him, which I can't say about Taggert at either stop. Rhule is also a candidate I know the least about.

Well, the bottom line is we either try to get a proven P5 coach (which is next to impossible nowadays w/ the way contracts are written) or we take a risk. We took a risk twice (McElwain and Muschamp). It's an imperfect world, but some of these younger coaches are future stars. And when I say "younger" I'm not talking about a 53 year old...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the bottom line is we either try to get a proven P5 coach (which is next to impossible nowadays w/ the way contracts are written) or we take a risk. We took a risk twice (McElwain and Muschamp). It's an imperfect world, but some of these younger coaches are future stars. And when I say "younger" I'm not talking about a 53 year old...

I know you aren't, but we have to have more proof than what we have taken in the past. Meyer had success at multiple programs as an HC, Spurrier did. Muschamp, Zook, and McElwain did not. Florida is a top 5 job, this isn't a "this is florida damn" it's placement with recruiting and many other factors (including cash on hand). it's a very visible job as well, we need someone that can handle what all it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator