WWE's Vince McMahon announces new XFL; Tebow already mentioned

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Make it the National Football Development League and it would skyrocket. The Highschool Recruits could get paid while playing the mandatory 3 years removed from HS. If done correctly, college football could really be the one hurt in all of this.
He's not going to be able to compete with the nfl. He can compete with college football. Go after the rivals 250. Instead of them going to jawja, scUM and other colleges, offer to pay them a legit salary. Do you really think the rivals top 10 guys would play in college if McMahon's new league payed them 75-200k a year? And after their 3 or so years are up they can bolt to the nfl when they want. McMahon can't compete with NFL salaries. He can with college football.

At first I thought this was dumb. But it’s actually a smart idea.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Development league? Seriously? How many players made it from the XFL to the NFL and actually succeeded? Who are the coaches going to be? Washed up NFL coaches? Washed up college coaches? Former players who can't get a coaching gig in the NFL? High school coaches?

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
Make it the National Football Development League and it would skyrocket. The Highschool Recruits could get paid while playing the mandatory 3 years removed from HS. If done correctly, college football could really be the one hurt in all of this.
Assuming that this league is also partly made up of older, more physically mature guys who were already cut from the NFL, this would be a tough sell for most 18-year old linemen and backers. Skill players, however, would flourish in this league at 18. But, you’re certainly on to something here.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
What do you think the actual percentage of college football players are who give 2 shyts about a college education? What do you think the actual percentage of college football players are who will actually do something with their college education? What do you think the actual percentage of college football players are who actually learn something from their college football education?

My guess is it's extremely low, really really low.
99% care about an education. Im not even exaggerating. There are 10s of thousands of college players (if you have full rosters at every 128 teams thats 10,880 players, not counting d2 or d3) and only a few HANDFUL will ever make it out of each draft class to have a good career. If kids dont want to go the school route and opt for a developmental league instead, they are getting very bad advice. And i bet in time youd see them start going back to school. Theres what 64 players in the first two rounds? Theres no guaranteed anything after that. Tens of thousands risking their entire lives for a short lived career? I highly highly highly doubt this will be something to worry about.

Ill expand: theres roughly 3200 juniors on the d1 level, 106 declared early. More than half have no business declaring, so again, awful advice, or kids that dont care about educational or their future. 3% of college juniors declared early. Less than 1% will get drafted high and be eligible for guaranteed contracts. Adding d2 and 3 and that number gets lower. This would be harped on, and unless you are a complete dumbass, you go get the free degree and then try out the league. XFL or developmental has zero promise for a kids future. Its a gamble

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
99% care about an education. Im not even exaggerating. There are 10s of thousands of college players (if you have full rosters at every 128 teams thats 10,880 players, not counting d2 or d3) and only a few HANDFUL will ever make it out of each draft class to have a good career. If kids dont want to go the school route and opt for a developmental league instead, they are getting very bad advice. And i bet in time youd see them start going back to school. Theres what 64 players in the first two rounds? Theres no guaranteed anything after that. Tens of thousands risking their entire lives for a short lived career? I highly highly highly doubt this will be something to worry about.

Ill expand: theres roughly 3200 juniors on the d1 level, 106 declared early. More than half have no business declaring, so again, awful advice, or kids that dont care about educational or their future. 3% of college juniors declared early. Less than 1% will get drafted high and be eligible for guaranteed contracts. Adding d2 and 3 and that number gets lower. This would be harped on, and unless you are a complete dumbass, you go get the free degree and then try out the league. XFL or developmental has zero promise for a kids future. Its a gamble
We'll agree to completely disagree.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He should work with the NFL as a development league for cut players, practice squad guys, and others that go undrafted.
Spot-on g-lover,Earn respectable gingerbread. How big is that reservoir of overlooked players?

I dont see it affecting college at all to be honest
Colleges will have to ignore "fake students" and concentrate on students who can concentrate - on studies.The XFL, Emphasizing only positives for a full life = stress the appeal of going to college taking fewer courses to gain more study-time to make sure of passing those courses, getting that degree. Partner with practical vocation schools to insure viable post-FB life.
... and Maheo's right >> should work if handled smartly:
1) teams send agents that take way lower %s than the agents currently do now.
2) in homes of H.S. athletes, appeal to the "unsmart"/academically unmotivated athletes & parents = Do 3 years XFL, save for college, or attend during XFL offseason on those earnings.
3) Hone your craft with full freedom for nightime partying.
4) Do contracts that preclude bringing pollitical-PC behavior to the stadium. Just football.
5) Of course choose vibrant cities without NFL "footprints"
6) Have low ticket prices, with local hotel-motel deals.
7) Play on Saturday nights.
8) Mastermind deals that draw fans to Stadiums = call out ticket #s for halftime football throws to win $2,000; etc. Allow H.S. cheerleaders contests.etc,etc..
9) Mine that gold found in tv contracts.
10) To ad for the league appeal = On tv, play human interest success stories of XFL alumni & current players going the XFL-route.
11) To get in CFB's graces = Hire Saban away.
12) etc. etc.

For the fun of it, let's see the great GatChat minds offer routes to success.??
Give the thumbed noses of the NFL some worries.

--- for the fun of it, let's have GatChat minds come up with ways to make the XFL viable.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
99% care about an education. Im not even exaggerating.
You might not be exaggerating but you are high on caffeine.

Id say closer to 9%... about the same as percentage as the general population. For the gen pop, I consider them being instutionalized, it's mostly about free loans/grants and a chance to live away from home on Uncle Sugar's dime without working.

Are you telling me that people who major in general studies and minor in agrieved minority sociology are serious about studying? that is probably 80% of the athletes.

Last edited:

Fred

Nov 27, 2017
I work in academia. The majority of these "modern" brats want a safe place, degree pretty much handed to them and a free ride in life. A truly overall sorry generation.

Fred

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you Donkey
personalized_donkey_design_thank_you_card-r90b73c3dc80d4d2ab2a1f0bc6de577bd_xvuak_8byvr_630.jpg

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I just see them taking players right out of high school as a disaster. Give an 18 year old that money with no need for a father figure to try and get them some maturity and education and it will not end well. Colleges have some oversight (although it appears to be very little at times) and look at the troubles we see out of it.

Would they be required to keep them all 3-4 years or could they cut them, damaging the future of that player even more. They would need to force them to attend classes on money management and such for them to have a shot or require them to hire money managers (that are licensed and respectable non family members) until they turn 21 at least.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So it is going to be the XFL again but without all the gimmicks and is going to be family friendly?

So if that means no "He Hate Me" then I am out!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Development league? Seriously? How many players made it from the XFL to the NFL and actually succeeded? Who are the coaches going to be? Washed up NFL coaches? Washed up college coaches? Former players who can't get a coaching gig in the NFL? High school coaches?
You can't tell me, with a straight face, that if Tim Tebow was on a XFL team, that 99.9% of the people on this sight would be watching to see him succeed. Same goes for the Tebow Haters and the Kapronick Haters. They'd be watching to see the train wreck.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You can't tell me, with a straight face, that if Tim Tebow was on a XFL team, that 99.9% of the people on this sight would be watching to see him succeed. Same goes for the Tebow Haters and the Kapronick Haters. They'd be watching to see the train wreck.
And the gimmick would wear off after the first week, exactly how it did with the XFL.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe Butters can get a job in the XFL as an assistant quality analyst.

I liked the XFL, it felt like half of their players flunked out from the Miami Dolphins and landed there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that Sas opposes this makes me think they are really on to something this time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
McMahon was asked by reporters specifically about Manziel, Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow playing in the XFL. While Kaepernick does not have a criminal record, he started the NFL movement to protest during the national anthem, which would not be allowed in McMahon's league. McMahon answered the question and only specifically referenced Tebow.

"You want someone who does not have any criminality associated whatsoever with them. Even if you have a DUI you will not play in the XFL," McMahon told reporters. "So that will probably eliminate some of them. Not all of them. If Tim Tebow wants to play, he can very well play."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Hope they have a better version of the Bubba cam this go around. Maybe built in helmet cams? That technology has come a long way in 20 years. That would be really cool.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
McMahon is funding 100% of it himself. That's pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator