WWE's Vince McMahon announces new XFL; Tebow already mentioned

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have no idea whether it could make it or not. History says no, yet we seem to be at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to pro football, as NFL viewership is declining because they don't care about the viewer and arrogantly think they can't lose. They could be in for a world of hurt. I think "oversaturation" is well down the list of reasons why people are turning off the NFL.

Of course it's a huge risk, but I admire the hell out of his entrepreneurial spirit. He's using only his own money (unheard of in these kinds of situations) and he's rich enough (net worth 1.6 billion) that it could be a complete flop and he'd still be rich.

Oversaturation is huge. People unplugging is another. Folks are dropping cable. Not only are people fighting for entertainment dollars but now they are fighting for a finite amount of their time as well. Millenials don't give an F about the NFL.

I just don't think he'll attract enough viewers for this to be a viable venture. And I doubt the NFL is going to help him at any point along the way.

Pretty sure this is a doomed adventure.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm intrigued to see how this will turn out. Chances are it will fail, but who knows. Maybe he'll make it work.

Really the thing that will make or break it is affordability. Ticket prices, merchandise, streaming, etc. will have to be way cheaper than the NFL in order to draw a lot of people. I'm sure it is really expensive to fund a football league, so how he prices everything will be interesting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Millenials don't give an F about the NFL. .
Best I could.do. Tried to find hipster football memes and all I found was soccer shyt.

He is wearing skinny jeans and obviously has zero athletic ability.

dceec6-371.jpg

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Thinking more about this. 10 teams. 40 players per team. 400 players who don't have records and aren't already more secure in some other job or are students who's mother says yeah, go take a chance on this league that lasted one year last time? Ehhhhhhh...not seeing it.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
MNF, TNF, SNF, fantasy football, pre- and post-game shows, youtube--I'd go with oversaturation.

As for vinny using only his own money, I've got a few bridges crossing the St. John's I could sell you, cheap

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking more about this. 10 teams. 40 players per team. 400 players who don't have records and aren't already more secure in some other job or are students who's mother says yeah, go take a chance on this league that lasted one year last time? Ehhhhhhh...not seeing it.
I think you're on drugs. The NFL cuts nearly 1,200 players every year getting down from 90 to 53, and that doesn't include the thousands that can't make the 90.

400 is nothing. There are tens of thousands of football players that would love to get paid for doing it, even if it isn't that much money. Finding players isn't going to be a problem.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I think you're on drugs. The NFL cuts nearly 1,200 players every year getting down from 90 to 53, and that doesn't include the thousands that can't make the 90.

400 is nothing. There are tens of thousands of football players that would love to get paid for doing it, even if it isn't that much money. Finding players isn't going to be a problem.
I wasn't talking about quantity alone, Ox. If the 400 players they're gonna end up paying a sac of beans to for play aren't up to snuff, who's gonna watch? How many who don't make the cut have no record? And out of those that remain, how many already have jobs and families and won't want to risk another one or two year fold? And of the others, how many are gonna tell mom "OK, I'll go to college and get a degree playing for an established team rather than risk injury going straight from HS to this new league where I'll be potentially getting the crap beat out of me by guys 10 years older who've been juicing for years"?

The feeder-league idea is intriguing, but without (1) direct ties to The Show and (2) solid exposure on TV where it doesn't look like the old XFL carnival sideshow and (3) SOLID players who are ballplayers, not just wanna-be's looking to be able to say they once played "professional" football...I don't see it lasting.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a drug-free contributor.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't talking about quantity alone, Ox. If the 400 players they're gonna end up paying a sac of beans to for play aren't up to snuff, who's gonna watch? How many who don't make the cut have no record? And out of those that remain, how many already have jobs and families and won't want to risk another one or two year fold? And of the others, how many are gonna tell mom "OK, I'll go to college and get a degree playing for an established team rather than risk injury going straight from HS to this new league where I'll be potentially getting the crap beat out of me by guys 10 years older who've been juicing for years"?

The feeder-league idea is intriguing, but without (1) direct ties to The Show and (2) solid exposure on TV where it doesn't look like the old XFL carnival sideshow and (3) SOLID players who are ballplayers, not just wanna-be's looking to be able to say they once played "professional" football...I don't see it lasting.

:drunk2:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

You're such a judgmental millennial.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Bill's on the toot again...if those were panties on his head that would be pretty believable

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see, I've been to Orlando "Blazers" World Football League games, USFL Orlando "Renegades" games, Arena League Orlando "Predators" games and XFL Orlando "Rage" games. I don'r see why I wouldn't check out the new XFL Orlando "Severely Angry Nefarious Characters" games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.