Your thoughts on our base defense against Tennessee

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
With the Vols less than adequate passing game, do we play 5 DB's or 3 LB's on first down? Also, if we're having trouble stopping the run game who will be the third linebacker and which position will he play?

This is a serious question but non-serious answers aren't discouraged.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We got gashed last year (in the 1st half) playing nickel...2nd half we ran a 4-3 and busted that ass! Hopefully we run a 4-3 the whole game Saturday and bust Dobbs/Hurd/Kamara up early and often. #ChompChomp

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Read somewhere that K. Johnson will be starting in place of the still injured McMillian. Here it is.
Starting outside linebacker Daniel McMillian, who has been battling an ankle sprain, is questionable or doubtful for Saturday’s game, McElwain said. If McMillian can’t go Saturday, redshirt freshman Kylan Johnson likely gets the start in his place.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20160921/ARTICLES/160929986?tc=cr

Disclaimer - the article was written by Andreu.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure they will have to adjust to whatever Tenn is able to do at first. Tenn does get their best O lineman back for the game I think.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Not to be the grammar police, but it's hard to make fun of them as hillbillies with thread titles like that.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyhow, does anyone care to opine about the OPs original intent of this thread? :lol:
We have to stop the run and spy on forehead, so we'll be playing 3 LBs most of the game, until we get way ahead and they have to throw it.
:chomp:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2 LBs, 3 LBs or 4 LBs? Spy's or 5 DBs. Don't matter if we don't tackle. Last year they ate our lunch due to yards after touching. We just couldn't tackle.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2 LBs, 3 LBs or 4 LBs? Spy's or 5 DBs. Don't matter if we don't tackle. Last year they ate our lunch due to yards after touching. We just couldn't tackle.
You're right. Pretty sure they've been watching a lot of footage from last year and having that pointed out. They better bring it this year, and I have a good feeling they will.
:pumper:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm half expecting a Kylan Johnson has arrived party. And we are much better with a LB on the field IMO, even if the LBs are safety sized or former safeties. I doubt McMillan is the starter after tonight anyway.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'm half expecting a Kylan Johnson has arrived party. And we are much better with a LB on the field IMO, even if the LBs are safety sized or former safeties. I doubt McMillan is the starter after tonight anyway.
Yeah, much better off with a linebacker on the field. Anzalone will most likely be Dobbs' spy. We know about his tackling ability. Kylan Johnson still has the jury out on him.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the personnel combinations will be based on down and distance, field position tendencies, but I wouldn't be surprised if we played more 3 LB looks based on UT strength/weakness. Johnson, or whoever the WLB is, will likely be assigned the TE or RB, depending on the formation, when we are in man. I can't recall this aspect from last year, but this game seems like a good opportunity for a zone blitz package.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

VA Tech loves those 'safety sized' LB's. The hiring of Gray may be helpful in scheming our D, for now, while our LBs are safety sized....until we can hopefully sign some bigger LB's.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure they'll play nickel on 3rd and long, but I assume they'll play a 4-3 on most 1st and 2nd downs. I agree with Law that Johnson will be good at one of the OLB spots. I also think we'll see a lot of man coverage with some zone-blitzes mixed in. You don't have to be fancy to slow down this offense. Just contain the QB in the pocket, wrap up, and don't leave receivers wide open.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Regardless of what base defense we run I think our front will be living in the backfield. TN's o-line has been horrendous so far this year and that isn't something that magically comes together overnight (See our o-line last year). I just want our guys to tackle and not try so hard for the big hit. If we tackled halfway decent last year the game wouldn't have even been close.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not tackling was a hallmark of chump teams. This staff had to break their bad habits.

The only position that tackled relatively well under the chump was cornerbacks. But the majority of their tackling happened behind the line of scrimmage because they were always peeking into the backfield. This usually led to big passing plays, particularly on third down.

Sep 29, 2015
Regardless of what base defense we run I think our front will be living in the backfield. TN's o-line has been horrendous so far this year and that isn't something that magically comes together overnight (See our o-line last year). I just want our guys to tackle and not try so hard for the big hit. If we tackled halfway decent last year the game wouldn't have even been close.

I remember more than a few instances where this was the reason a tackle was not made, at least early on in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator