Your Top 3 Realistic Picks to Replace Butters

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is finding the right coach that is currently fighting for 2 stars. That seems to be the challenge we are having.

In my opinion the goal is to find a coach who can win a title. I don't think Gundy is that guy, but I know a lot of people disagree. The problem is that I don't know who that guy is... it looks like UGA may have found something with Kirby, but Muschamp had a good second season also. Kirby's recruiting makes you believe he will continue to have success.

I do like Fuentes at Va Tech, but I don't think he is a slam dunk. I really don't know who is out there that is a slam dunk... whoever we hire... we are going to have to hope they are not a McElwain/Muschamp. They better have a last name that doesn't start with the letter "M".
Urban Meyer wasn't considered a slam dunk by everybody either...he was the hottest name in CFB but there were plenty of people who questioned whether he could get it done in the SEC with that offense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Meyer wasn't considered a slam dunk by everybody either...he was the hottest name in CFB but there were plenty of people who questioned whether he could get it done in the SEC with that offense.

This is true, but I don't think there are even any "hot" names out there like Meyer.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is true, but I don't think there are even any "hot" names out there like Meyer.
No, not quite like that. Though a guy like Kelly that is a free agent or a Petrino would be hot names and very obtainable but they come with baggage.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Not directly for another job. Osu was very happy with tressel when meyer quit.
Also his team and record sucked azz when he left. Sure, if we want to wait for a winning coach to have a mental breakdown and struggle to win 7 games while in a Xanax coma from the sideline, sure that guy might be Obtainable. But pulling someone away at the top of their game winning 11 games a year ain't gonna happen.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
What does everyone think of DJ Durkin? He has had HORRIBLE luck with QB injuries but he seems to recruit pretty well for Maryland and produces on the field when he isn't so handicapped with injuries.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, not quite like that. Though a guy like Kelly that is a free agent or a Petrino would be hot names and very obtainable but they come with baggage.

If Louisville AD is completely broken off, Petrino's buyout goes from $8 million to $4 million if he leaves before June 30, 2018.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Louisville AD is completely broken off, Petrino's buyout goes from $8 million to $4 million if he leaves before June 30, 2018.
True...and he would jump at the chance and i think he would kill it here. If only we could just take his coaching brain and put it in the body of someone that isn't a POS

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I don't want anything to do with Petrino. I'm not as sold on Kelly as others, but he would be a big name. The baggage worries me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want anything to do with Petrino. I'm not as sold on Kelly as others, but he would be a big name. The baggage worries me.

I'm not a fan of either as coach of the Gators, but they are good coaches.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac feels the heat ; so tired of being slanderously referred to as a Zen coach, Mac in desperation, devised for Franks a tse-tse fly pattern.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What does everyone think of DJ Durkin? He has had HORRIBLE luck with QB injuries but he seems to recruit pretty well for Maryland and produces on the field when he isn't so handicapped with injuries.
Hasn't proven he can win (has 10-9 record) and he came up as a DC which is the kiss of death around these parts.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Hasn't proven he can win (has 10-9 record) and he came up as a DC which is the kiss of death around these parts.

True but Mac isn't getting fired till next year. Maybe he Durkin has a big 2018. Just throwing out names right now. Who is available in 2018 because that's when we are making a move

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

No he wasn't, and I remember there being a lot of second guessing that first season, esp when Vandy took us to overtime at home. The offense looked out of sync. It obviously turned out a lot different.

I'd like to see us get an energetic young coach who similarly relates well to recruits, can teach the game and can help us restore some if not all of the glitter. You know the right guy's out there, it's a matter of finding him.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
No he wasn't, and I remember there being a lot of second guessing that first season, esp when Vandy took us to overtime at home. The offense looked out of sync. It obviously turned out a lot different.

I'd like to see us get an energetic young coach who similarly relates well to recruits, can teach the game and can help us restore some if not all of the glitter. You know the right guy's out there, it's a matter of finding him.

Yes I know Meyer had a great run here and we are all appreciative, but that quote made me chuckle and brought back memories of thebiggest lie ever told by a head coach in Gator Football history, when in Meyer's introductory press conference, one of the soft ball tosser's asked about Leak and how he fits the offense to which Meyer responded and I quote: "There is no offense".

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
True...and he would jump at the chance and i think he would kill it here. If only we could just take his coaching brain and put it in the body of someone that isn't a POS
We can his name is Jeff Brohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator