Zach Piller - a true friend after death

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's a nice story on ESPN about Steve McNair's family after his death. It includes several paragraphs about Zach's continued involvement with McNair's sons, even nearly a decade after his death:

Piller, a former guard for the Titans, was one of McNair's pallbearers. Nine years later, it's still hard for him to talk about McNair. Offensive linemen spend their careers protecting the quarterback, and Piller couldn't. But he could be there for McNair's boys. Piller downplays his involvement. He says that McNair would do the same thing for him, and that what he does isn't much. Tyler disagrees.

"He was the first person to come," Tyler says. "He was the first one saying how proud he was of me and how proud my dad would be."

There's a little more, too. He continues to go to the younger son's basketball games.

He was a great Gator. It looks like he's also a great person and a great friend. I thought some people here might enjoy the read.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There's a nice story on ESPN about Steve McNair's family after his death. It includes several paragraphs about Zach's continued involvement with McNair's sons, even nearly a decade after his death:

Piller, a former guard for the Titans, was one of McNair's pallbearers. Nine years later, it's still hard for him to talk about McNair. Offensive linemen spend their careers protecting the quarterback, and Piller couldn't. But he could be there for McNair's boys. Piller downplays his involvement. He says that McNair would do the same thing for him, and that what he does isn't much. Tyler disagrees.

"He was the first person to come," Tyler says. "He was the first one saying how proud he was of me and how proud my dad would be."

There's a little more, too. He continues to go to the younger son's basketball games.

He was a great Gator. It looks like he's also a great person and a great friend. I thought some people here might enjoy the read.

Met him at a Vandy game. Maybe 2012? Interesting story about him. He was at GATech playing defense and got into a bar fight with a fraternity. I'm going off memory here but I believe he ended up tossed through a window, suffered bad cuts, like nearly losing a leg bad. He played high school at Tallahassee Lincoln but they wouldn't let him transfer to FSU so he transferred to UF where he became an excellent offensive tackle. Dude was broad. Like a wide body. He was like one big person tall, but a big person and a half wide. Not fat, just broad.

Alex.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
One of the better parts is he is not making a big deal out of doing what he feels to be right. Of course that means few if any actually know about it and could be influenced to do similar things.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great story. Gators doin work in the real world baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.