“...for which they gave the last full measure of devotion...”

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The text in the title is from the Gettysburg Address.

My father-in-law was a 20 year old marine in 1944, and fought in the South Pacific theatre. Until her mid-20s, that’s about all my wife Kelly knew about her father’s service. He joked about the check he received each month as his “shot in the butt money”, but never spoke otherwise about his service. He was a good man, drank a little too much, and was known to be moody sometimes, but he was patriotic, funny, and loved his family. He came back from the war, was the first of his rural family to get a college degree, and went on to be a successful pillar of the community.

When he was 62, he had a stroke, and he was affected by losing some inhibitions - he cursed (which he never did before the stroke), and he lost track of where, and when, he was sometimes. He also told stories. Stories he had never told before. They were confusing, kind of “half dream” stories. He talked about military training, learning to drive a tank, and about his best friend. He was funny, obscene, and clearly had some fond memories. But one day, he was somber. He described a big firefight, being in the water, dragging his best friend to the beach, and swimming back out multiple times. His story was confusing, but clearly emotional.

At 63, he had another stroke, and passed away. It was then, going through his belongings, that we found his medals, his commendations, and the story of the battle in the Mariana Islands (Guam) when he was injured. He was an amphibious tank driver in the middle of a beach landing when his tank took a shell and sank. Whether shrapnel from the explosion or subsequent gunfire, he was wounded in the hip, but swam his more-wounded tankmates to the beach, multiple times. Most survived, but there were two KIA - a gunner, and his best friend.

His best friend, Kelly.

To all the men and women who gave the last full measure of devotion, I spend the day in remembrance for these husbands, wives, sons, daughters, and best friends. I’ll never forget.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Gene Chizik (@CoachGeneChizik) tweeted at 8:06 PM on Sun, May 26, 2019:
This young ladies fiancé was killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb. While Memorial day means going to the beach or eating barbecue for some, others spend it like this. Our soldiers have made this the greatest country in the world, period! Remember tomorrow is to honor our FALLEN men! Gene Chizik on Twitter
()

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Nothing but the highest regards and utmost respect for all who have fallen for our freedom. God bless them.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Want to be inspired? Even if you hate Reagan, it's hard not to get chills when talking about those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the country.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The text in the title is from the Gettysburg Address.

My father-in-law was a 20 year old marine in 1944, and fought in the South Pacific theatre. Until her mid-20s, that’s about all my wife Kelly knew about her father’s service. He joked about the check he received each month as his “shot in the butt money”, but never spoke otherwise about his service. He was a good man, drank a little too much, and was known to be moody sometimes, but he was patriotic, funny, and loved his family. He came back from the war, was the first of his rural family to get a college degree, and went on to be a successful pillar of the community.

When he was 62, he had a stroke, and he was affected by losing some inhibitions - he cursed (which he never did before the stroke), and he lost track of where, and when, he was sometimes. He also told stories. Stories he had never told before. They were confusing, kind of “half dream” stories. He talked about military training, learning to drive a tank, and about his best friend. He was funny, obscene, and clearly had some fond memories. But one day, he was somber. He described a big firefight, being in the water, dragging his best friend to the beach, and swimming back out multiple times. His story was confusing, but clearly emotional.

At 63, he had another stroke, and passed away. It was then, going through his belongings, that we found his medals, his commendations, and the story of the battle in the Mariana Islands (Guam) when he was injured. He was an amphibious tank driver in the middle of a beach landing when his tank took a shell and sank. Whether shrapnel from the explosion or subsequent gunfire, he was wounded in the hip, but swam his more-wounded tankmates to the beach, multiple times. Most survived, but there were two KIA - a gunner, and his best friend.

His best friend, Kelly.

To all the men and women who gave the last full measure of devotion, I spend the day in remembrance for these husbands, wives, sons, daughters, and best friends. I’ll never forget.

Thanks for sharing. Amazing how some veterans don’t really talk about what happened. Everyone processes that stuff differently.

I just hope my service somehow lives up to the standards set by my honorable predecessors.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Simply stated, we are incredibly, unimaginably blessed to live in this country. It is so easy to lose sight of that. And it is easy to lose sight of both our inherent goodness - and our country's collective greatness.

We are the sons and daughters of revolutionary ideals of liberty and freedom, guided by compassion and inspired by Faith. We would not be inheritors of the dream realized some 243 years ago were it not for the brave men and women who stood to defend us and our country in so many bloody wars.

To the members of this board who have served or are still serving: thank you for protecting us.

And to those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice to stand to defend this nation, your blood is woven inextricably into the fabric of a grateful nation.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's most through America's fallen that America rises up.
Thank you all very much for your bravery, your risks, and your sacrifices every single day of your strict regimented enlistment. May peace reside in you all.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
FLORIDA (@UF) tweeted at 9:06 AM on Mon, May 27, 2019:
Century Tower is more than a landmark. It is a symbol for the students and alumni we lost.

Today we honor and remember. FLORIDA on Twitter
()

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
"No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for a friend." For my brothers and sisters in arms, who made that sacrifice, I remember and give thanks. For their families and loved ones who raised such heroes, may God be with you in your loss. And for my countrymen, who owe so much to them, never forget the cost of our freedom and resolve to not let those lives given be in vain.

Jun 2, 2015
I just found out recently my cousin received the purple heart. He saved 2 fellow GI's in Viet Nam. He never talks about his experience in Nam and certainly never tells anyone about his medals. Sadly, a friend from his same hometown committed suicide when he returned home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator