“...for which they gave the last full measure of devotion...”

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
"Taking Chance" is an amazing movie, And yes the pollen count was high the day I watched it. This is a movie the whole country should watch.
I really liked how it was based in a smaller town, Usually more patriotic and a loss there hits harder.

Thanks to those giving props to my Son... To us being where he is is a big deal but to them, As he told us, "We've been here for years"..... Send coffee :)
Having served, I never know how to react to "Thank you for your service." It was my honor and privilege; I'm sure your son feels the same way. However, I am extremely grateful to parents who rear their children to do their duty. So, thank you mom and dad for your son's dedication and your permission for him to serve.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Having served, I never know how to react to "Thank you for your service." It was my honor and privilege; I'm sure your son feels the same way. However, I am extremely grateful to parents who rear their children to do their duty. So, thank you mom and dad for your son's dedication and your permission for him to serve.

I’m interested in your thoughts on what Dan Crenshaw says on the topic:

Dan Crenshaw said:
”Everybody says ‘Thank you for your service’ and I’ll tell you what, veterans really appreciate that,” Crenshaw said. “I kind of want to change that up a little bit. I want you to say ‘Never Forget’ because when you say ‘Never Forget’ you’re thanking that veteran in a different way. You’re allowing them to be thankful for the idea for the fact that as an American you’re in it with them. We’re in it together and we don’t forget together.”

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My father was a flight line chief in the Army Air Corps, Pacific Theater. He enlisted December 8, 1941. The day after Pearl Harbor and was one of the first E-8's in the entire military... Growing up, I thought the F Bomb was just another adjective, adverb or noun. :)

I served in the United States Air Force for four years before entering UF. Thankfully, now wars during my service time. My brother and sisters are much older than me. I was a "Surprise."

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
"Thank you for your service" comment is a hard one to take and I think it means something different to those who have served. I truly believe that most recognize it as a sincere gesture but people have to understand that a flood of memories and the emotions that are tied to those memories come up sometimes when those words are heard. So, if you say those words to someone please understand that the reaction might not be what you think it will be. And if you say those words to someone on Memorial Day, be prepared for a reaction that definitely might not be expected. When I hear or see "Happy Memorial Day" I get angered. Visibly angered. I think about the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends and so on of those who never came back and think about what they feel when they see or hear "Happy Memorial Day". There is not a damn thing happy about it. It hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator