08 UF vs 20 Bama: Who wins?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Was talking with my brother earlier today and this subject came up.

I’m of the belief that our 08 team would beat this Bama team. I think our defense was light years better than this Bama team’s, and our offense was just as potent, with just as many weapons, maybe even more, depending on how you look at it.

The one advantage they’d have would be at running back since we were rotating the smurfs while running Tebow and Percy with a little Mooooody sprinkled in.

Discuss.

Theswamp_Gator

Jan 8, 2021
Was talking with my brother earlier today and this subject came up.

I’m of the belief that our 08 team would beat this Bama team. I think our defense was light years better than this Bama team’s, and our offense was just as potent, with just as many weapons, maybe even more, depending on how you look at it.

The one advantage they’d have would be at running back since we were rotating the smurfs while running Tebow and Percy with a little Mooooody sprinkled in.

Discuss.
We were six points away with grantham... I would've loved to see spikes meet najee in the A gap. Don't think bama could've stopped tebow and harvin, but I don't know how well we could cover those stud WR. Would be a shootout I would love to see

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s very hard to compare. This was a weird year. This Bama offense scored virtually every time they had the ball. I’ve never seen anything like it. Our defense was definitely better but defenses can’t cut loose like they could before.

Bama’s roster is ridiculous.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s very hard to compare. This was a weird year. This Bama offense scored virtually every time they had the ball. I’ve never seen anything like it. Our defense was definitely better but defenses can’t cut loose like they could before.

Along those lines, if they played today, who’d be called for more targeting, RFN or Major?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Bama's offense was nuts for sure. But as far as best offenses I've ever seen i gotta give the nod to last year's LSU's.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bama's defense this year absolutely sucks. They should not be mentioned amongst the all time greats regardless of beating our sorry asses and a lousy OSU team.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody's defense sucked this year compared to normal. The SEC was led by aTm, who was 9th nationally. Bama was 32nd nationally. For us, the was the most atrocious year on defense I can ever remember since I've been watching football, and we were still middle of the pack in the SEC.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody's defense sucked this year compared to normal. The SEC was led by aTm, who was 9th nationally. Bama was 32nd nationally. For us, the was the most atrocious year on defense I can ever remember since I've been watching football, and we were still middle of the pack in the SEC.
So what you are saying is that their offense wasn't really that great... The defenses sucked.

They played a 6 win team for the NC. At the end of the day their biggest win this year was aTm. Color me unimpressed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is really era dependent, I believe the 96 team would beat both in the current era, because they played really good defense that would align with today's era and Wuerfell and those receivers would absolutely demolish all passing record with dbs having to play they do. 1996 while not the most talented teams we had (08) was the most complete team we have had.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is really era dependent, I believe the 96 team would beat both in the current era, because they played really good defense that would align with today's era and Wuerfell and those receivers would absolutely demolish all passing record with dbs having to play they do. 1996 while not the most talented teams we had (08) was the most complete team we have had.

Agree.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Bama's offense was nuts for sure. But as far as best offenses I've ever seen i gotta give the nod to last year's LSU's.
Comparing 2019 LSU's offense, against four OOC teams to Bama's 2020 offense, against 12 SEC teams and zero OOC and saying that LSU was the better offense is dumb.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing 2019 LSU's offense, against four OOC teams to Bama's 2020 offense, against 12 SEC teams and zero OOC and saying that LSU was the better offense is dumb.
Maybe if all you are looking at is numbers, which t didn't say he was doing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Nalt, while I understand defending you native team... Last years LSU squad, had all 11 starters on offense on an NFL roster this year. Though Alabama's offense is absolutely loaded as well, the difference would be at QB,

Burrow was easily the best player in last year's draft and would be the second best player in this year's draft. Mac Jones while a great college quarterback is no better than the 4th or 5th best prospect at his position this year and would be the 5th or 6th best prospect at his position in last years draft.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
LSU 2019 beat what was essentially the 20 Bama squad last year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
they would have both been out virtually the entire year.

RFN may not have been allowed to cross state lines into Georgia after that Massoquoi hit in ‘05.

Lawrence Wright also would have been a “one half” guy. Monty Grow would be in prison. Oh wait..

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
08 would crush this bama team. Believe 06 would beat them as well. Bama's D is garbage and 06 team would have had no problem going up and down the field on it. 06 Defense was sneaky good too and is the whole reason we won the NC that year.

Not taking anything away from this year's Bama squad as they are the best in the country but I dont think they are close to being called the best ever. Plenty of better teams than them. Hell, 95 Nebraska would have crushed them. Several of the scUM late 90's early 00s teams would have beat them.

Again...we lost by 6 with Grantham as our DC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
08 would crush this bama team. Believe 06 would beat them as well. Bama's D is garbage and 06 team would have had no problem going up and down the field on it. 06 Defense was sneaky good too and is the whole reason we won the NC that year.

Not taking anything away from this year's Bama squad as they are the best in the country but I dont think they are close to being called the best ever. Plenty of better teams than them. Hell, 95 Nebraska would have crushed them. Several of the scUM late 90's early 00s teams would have beat them.

Again...we lost by 6 with Grantham as our DC.

In this era of football, i don't know if we would be allowed to play the type of defense we played in 06 or 08. Our best players in the secondary and linebackers would be on the sideline for targeting most games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb