Master Bathroom Renovation Thread

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

I trust you, and that seems to be far riskier than my shower pan. The house is only 12 years old.

Here's the greatest concern I have with your pan (or lack thereof). If you go back to post #70, the shower photo shows the raised curb at the bottom of the door torn out. You can see the black line (it may be red or blue, hard to read color here) at the bottom of the floor tile. That is the shower pan membrane if one was ever installed. It may just be a shadowline. It's required by code. The membrane is one monolithic piece of pvc liner that turns up the wall at least 6 inches. Think of a pool liner. At the time of the plumbing rough-in inspection (required before drywall or coverup, its flooded with water the day before the inspection to make sure it holds water. When the curb was torn away, if a pan was ever installed, it is now missing. In order for the pan to be effective, a new piece would have to be seamed back with pvc solvent. In order to accomplish this, the existing floor tile would needed to be removed to bond the new piece to the existing. It should wrap over the top of the curb however it's difficult to determine if it's there as it is now covered in durock (post #90). When the old durock in the shower was torn out, it would have exposed a pan liner. If for some reason one was not installed during the original construction, that could be the major contributor to the old moisture problem at the right side of the door. You cannot rely on grout and caulking to maintain a water-tight impervious area that has to essentially act as a pool.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the greatest concern I have with your pan (or lack thereof). If you go back to post #70, the shower photo shows the raised curb at the bottom of the door torn out. You can see the black line (it may be red or blue, hard to read color here) at the bottom of the floor tile. That is the shower pan membrane if one was ever installed. It may just be a shadowline. It's required by code. The membrane is one monolithic piece of pvc liner that turns up the wall at least 6 inches. Think of a pool liner. At the time of the plumbing rough-in inspection (required before drywall or coverup, its flooded with water the day before the inspection to make sure it holds water. When the curb was torn away, if a pan was ever installed, it is now missing. In order for the pan to be effective, a new piece would have to be seamed back with pvc solvent. In order to accomplish this, the existing floor tile would needed to be removed to bond the new piece to the existing. It should wrap over the top of the curb however it's difficult to determine if it's there as it is now covered in durock (post #90). When the old durock in the shower was torn out, it would have exposed a pan liner. If for some reason one was not installed during the original construction, that could be the major contributor to the old moisture problem at the right side of the door. You cannot rely on grout and caulking to maintain a water-tight impervious area that has to essentially act as a pool.
TLDR.

didnt-read.gif

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice! Don't let them leave before they apply sealant to the grout.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does the sealant last more than 6 months?
Depends. Both on the type of grout & the type of sealant. Any sanded grout needs sealant before use. Then reapplication on a regular basis to prevent staining. I prefer using epoxy based grout. That solves the problem forever. If you've never used that before, be sure to get some help from someone who has though. It can go south on you fast.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have never sealed grout ever in my life..... and I have never had a grout stain or any kind of grout issue whatsoever.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I've been painting like a mad fool while we're waiting on the granite. There is so much cutting in to do it's ridculous. There are FOUR doors in that bathroom.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't appear to me that you can see the TV from the throne. That's a serious design flaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.