The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
It just seems that now is the time to strike and not pull any punches. Florida State is down. Time to strike and gain the edge in recruiting in the state. Saban has to be ready to quit any year now. Time to pull no punches. Make a move in the SEC. There is a young energetic coach 125 miles south at a directional school who has had great success, great success, is building a program with no tradition and no real game day campus atmosphere. This coach seems grounded in middle American values, but he is well spoken and not prone to speaking McElwainese. Party kewl. With his big neck and blond hair he looks like Mickey Mantle. He is not a 40 year old man with a mullet. He does not look like a slob, but is a mean lean fighting machine. A former legendary quarterback at Nebraska, he's everybody's All-American.

He is well grounded and not a flake like his less than esteemed colleague over in Boca Raton. He plays an uptempo fast paced offense, but he also develops a running game and his teams play defense. The complete package. He likes fast players and knows where to find them. He is not a wacko pirate who throws the ball all over the park but whose team lacks the toughness to go toe to toe with Bama, Georgia, LSU, and yes even Mississippi State. His style can win in the SEC. He is not a Champion of Life and I haven't heard that he ever was in a marching band. And though he can relate to players, he is no "players coach" so we are not getting Mike Shula. He wants to make football fun. It hasn't been fun around here for a long time.

This coach has already built relationships with high school coaches in Florida. He's not a snob the way Derek Dooley was who wouldn't talk to the high school coaches. He recruits Florida first. He's from the Midwest but he likes Florida. His wife, as far as I can tell, likes Florida and would not threaten to leave him to move to Starkville. His parents were school teachers and coaches so Stephen PE should be on board, but hey he's on board with everything Gator anyway. He doesn't scream and yell at players the way the old style Chimp did, but rather gets their attention by teaching them. A novel approach. Actual teaching. Administrative types would welcome him and he would not be the subject of any ESPN snowflake rants.

Listening to that recent press conference of Scott Stricklin's I think Stricklin already had his choice for head coach already picked out before he even spoke into the microphone. Scott Frost checked every box on Stricklin's list. Uncanny. So we've seen Meyer's psychological collapse, leave of absence, and subsequent move to Ohio. We've seen Muschamp come and get some on the job training before moving to South Carolina. And we've seen McElwain come South to develop some barbeque sauce. It's time for Florida to put up or shut up.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It just seems that now is the time to strike and not pull any punches. Florida State is down. Time to strike and gain the edge in recruiting in the state. Saban has to be ready to quit any year now. Time to pull no punches. Make a move in the SEC. There is a young energetic coach 125 miles south at a directional school who has had great success, great success
:jog::jog::jog:

He is not a 40 year old man with a mullet.
e4e44f7c8a96d5d9a47d2f3cc079aab7--game-lol-hair-game.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. Interesting. Especially with the right DC.

I do like his offense. It's quite similar to Frosts but much more vertical.
I just don't know about him...the one decent defense he ran into this season (UCF) almost completely shut Memphis down. They had just 7 points the majority of the game, and didn't get the other 6 until literally the final seconds of the game when UCF was up 40-7.
His team is giving up a crap ton of points and at times to some pretty crappy teams.
I question if he'd even have the connections to bring in a top defensive staff

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't know about him...the one decent defense he ran into this season (UCF) almost completely shut Memphis down. They had just 7 points the majority of the game, and didn't get the other 6 until literally the final seconds of the game when UCF was up 40-7.
His team is giving up a crap ton of points and at times to some pretty crappy teams.
I question if he'd even have the connections to bring in a top defensive staff
Definitely a concern and hard to judge. For both. I'm looking at schemes etc primarily. I just think his 2 and 3 star Tinerc boys aren't as talented as UCF's 2 and 3 star Fla boys. Could that just be better D coaching/development? Yeah. It could be.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If UF wanted to be cheap (and I'm not advocating this), they could keep Shannon on as HC and hire two quality coordinators. Possibly put Rumph in at DC if he shows he can handle it (plus he gets to coach w/o the recruiting burden). Move Skipper back on offense at TE coach, because the TE coach doesn't do a lot but Skipper can recruit, and I haven't seen a lot of LB development. Let Shannon take on the LBs. Fire Nord and Dixon. Keep Seider and Davis. So we'd retain Seider, Davis, Skipper, Bell and Rumph. That leaves 5 spots open I think with the new rule. Who would you go after to fill out that staff? I actually think you could get a pretty good product on the field with a few right hires.

Again, not advocating this, but if we strike out, I like this plan with the right hires better than a Taggart or Mullen.
Well, if the administration wants a completely empty Swamp I'd have to agree it's the way it should go. I can't imagine any quality coordinators agreeing to come here for what they would almost certainly know would be a disastrous one-year failure.

Okeechobee Joe really nailed this scenario. FSU being down makes it even more imperative we get the right guy. It's time to take back the state.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
It just seems that now is the time to strike and not pull any punches. Florida State is down. Time to strike and gain the edge in recruiting in the state. Saban has to be ready to quit any year now. Time to pull no punches. Make a move in the SEC. There is a young energetic coach 125 miles south at a directional school who has had great success, great success, is building a program with no tradition and no real game day campus atmosphere. This coach seems grounded in middle American values, but he is well spoken and not prone to speaking McElwainese. Party kewl. With his big neck and blond hair he looks like Mickey Mantle. He is not a 40 year old man with a mullet. He does not look like a slob, but is a meal lean fighting machine. A former legendary quarterback at Nebraska, he's everybody's All-American.

He is well grounded and not a flake like his less than esteemed colleague over in Boca Raton. He plays an uptempo fast paced offense, but he also develops a running game and his teams play defense. The complete package. He likes fast players and knows where to find them. He is not a wacko pirate who throws the ball all over the park but whose team lacks the toughness to go toe to toe with Bama, Georgia, LSU, and yes even Mississippi State. His style can win in the SEC. He is not a Champion of Life and I haven't heard that he ever was in a marching band. And though he can relate to players, he is no "players coach" so we are not getting Mike Shula. He wants to make football fun. It hasn't been fun around here for a long time.

This coach has already built relationships with high school coaches in Florida. He's not a snob the way Derek Dooley was who wouldn't talk to the high school coaches. He recruits Florida first. He's from the Midwest but he likes Florida. His wife, as far as I can tell, likes Florida and would not threaten to leave him to move to Starkville. His parents were school teachers and coaches so Stephen PE should be on board, but hey he's on board with everything Gator anyway. He doesn't scream and yell at players the way the old style Chimp did, but rather gets their attention by teaching them. A novel approach. Actual teaching. Administrative types would welcome him and he would not be the subject of any ESPN snowflake rants.

Listening to that recent press conference of Scott Stricklin's I think Stricklin already had his choice for head coach already picked out before he even spoke into the microphone. Scott Frost checked every box on Stricklin's list. Uncanny. So we've seen Meyer's psychological collapse, leave of absence, and subsequent move to Ohio. We've seen Muschamp come and get some on the job training before moving to South Carolina. And we've seen McElwain come South to develop some barbeque sauce. It's time for Florida to put up or shut up.

Excellent post Joe! Something tells me that Stricklin is way ahead of us on this hire. He looked very confident and seemed to know the outcome at his presser.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It just seems that now is the time to strike and not pull any punches. Florida State is down. Time to strike and gain the edge in recruiting in the state. Saban has to be ready to quit any year now. Time to pull no punches. Make a move in the SEC. There is a young energetic coach 125 miles south at a directional school who has had great success, great success, is building a program with no tradition and no real game day campus atmosphere. This coach seems grounded in middle American values, but he is well spoken and not prone to speaking McElwainese. Party kewl. With his big neck and blond hair he looks like Mickey Mantle. He is not a 40 year old man with a mullet. He does not look like a slob, but is a meal lean fighting machine. A former legendary quarterback at Nebraska, he's everybody's All-American.

Somebody email this to Stricklan!!! Excellent giphy (8).gif

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's your take on who all will be at that announcement!!???
They clearly wants guy hired right after conference championship games end. They need the hire as early as possible to salvage the recruiting class before the early signing period. I think they want Frost.....if he will come. I think someone like Norvell or Chad Morris may be in the mix too. I would wager Mullen is a fallback "safe" option but SS knows that may not go over well.
He said he wants fun. Frost is fun. I'd put my money on that being the guy if I were a betting man, which I'm not. But if I was, I would....but I'm not.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Frost should be the guy, but if we end up with Norvell or Campbell I think it will be good too.....it just may take a little longer to turn it around IMO. As for money, I say go big with the salary and incentives, but extremely small on the buyout. Make him say no to a big number and EARN IT. If he doesn't earn it he will have cashed a few big paydays, but buying him out would be manageable.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
My UF HC wish list......Frost, Norvell, Campbell, Morris.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@realbsikes: As mentioned on @GatorsBreakdown : Scott Frost improved UCF's yards per play from 4.7 (ranked 125th) in 2016 to 7.9 (ranked 2nd) in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator