The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
So we agree Campbell can't recruit. :fistbump:

Just like your statement that OSU is not in the same stratosphere as Oklahoma and Texas I would say ISU is not in the same class as OSU.

So, the same point could be made about Campbell's institutional disadvantages as about Gundy's.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just like your statement that OSU is not in the same stratosphere as Oklahoma and Texas I would say ISU is not in the same class as OSU.

So, the same point could be made about Campbell's institutional disadvantages as about Gundy's.
I guess I missed the season where Campbell won 10 or more.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I guess I missed the season where Campbell won 10 or more.

Well, I don't think he's been in charge for 13 years. Give him time. Maybe he never will but he'll obviously improve that program...already has. BTW, I don't think he's the right guy for the Gators.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well, I don't think he's been in charge for 13 years. Give him time. Maybe he never will but he'll obviously improve that program...already has. BTW, I don't think he's the right guy for the Gators.
Sure. When he gets a resume behind him I'll listen. Lots of candidates in front of him though.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Sure. When he gets a resume behind him I'll listen. Lots of candidates in front of him though.

Completely agree. And if Gundy ends up in Gainesville I am sure we will see a high flying, high scoring offense.

My hesitation with him is his record against Oklahoma. Even if they have major advantages in prestige, money and facilities (which I'm not sure they do in all those areas) an elite coach should find a way to beat a rival like that more than twice in 13 years. It's not a Vandy versus Florida disparity. Figure out how to win your biggest game of the year maybe 25% of the time.

Also, as a minor issue, you can expect that every SEC rival will have a ball with the "I'm a man, I'm 40" rant. That would probably produce some pretty funny memes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I think OSU is a better job than ISU. Neither has much talent in state, but recruiting is better at OSU since it is closer to Texas, where most of the Big12 talent comes from.

It really doesnt matter much bc we arent going to target a guy who makes 80th ranked offenses and we certainly arent going to pay a big buyout even if we got down to the point of considering 80th ranked guys.

I know 65 desperately wants to hire a 3rd shytty coach, but luckily he has no vote innthe process.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Will you answer questions like a man or just throw punches?
Youre really spiralling out of control since tbe Butterteeth firing. Have you thought about counselling?

Seriously dude, calm down. Its just the internet.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
1. Frost
2. Norvell
3 Kelly
4. Gundy
5 Drag stoops out of retirement
6 drag spurrier out of retirement
7 Close down the entire football program

There's nothing else that even remotely gets me excited. If you think anybody else is going to revive this dying program, I'd love to know what you're smoking. Guys like Mike "Only Real Talent is Public Speaking" Campbell aren't going to make the needle move

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Completely agree. And if Gundy ends up in Gainesville I am sure we will see a high flying, high scoring offense.

My hesitation with him is his record against Oklahoma. Even if they have major advantages in prestige, money and facilities (which I'm not sure they do in all those areas) an elite coach should find a way to beat a rival like that more than twice in 13 years. It's not a Vandy versus Florida disparity. Figure out how to win your biggest game of the year maybe 25% of the time.

Also, as a minor issue, you can expect that every SEC rival will have a ball with the "I'm a man, I'm 40" rant. That would probably produce some pretty funny memes.

Yep he doesn't check that box. And OK State v OK isn't Florida v Vandy. Maybe Florida V Tennessee? And we know how that's worked for Tennessee. That's a risk and there are others I'm sure.
I'm not particularly attached to Gundy, his name just passed a few filters when people were throwing out names. I'm one of those spoiled, entitled, arrogant Florida fans that thinks we should go after the best we can get. Also after the past two coaching failures I'm a bit risk adverse. If this was post Meyer I would be all for going after some up and comer but now I want more of a sure thing. Yes, everybody is a risk but you'd have to agree that all other things being equal a 10 yr, 80%, P5 coach is less risk than a 2 yr, 80% G5 coach.
So my first choice is a successful P5 coach. Not that I don't think we could possibly talk a Tier 1 P5 coach to come to Florida but I don't think there's anybody available right now. So next choice is a successful P5 T2 coach.
What boxes does he check? (in no order)
1) His offenses are lights out. We couldn't ask for more.
2) He's experienced with the media - he's been through his "I'm a man" rant with the media and I'm sure he learned form that.
3) He's tested. He's been running a P5 team for 13 years with all the ups, downs, suspensions, injuries and media fights that go with that.
4) He's not a flash in the pan. He wins more than most and has been doing it for a while.
5) He's only 50. I'd like the next coach to be a 10 year guy and if he made the jump I'd bet this would be his last stop
6) He's arguably available. He was pushing for the job three years ago. His buyout is reasonable. He makes only $4.2M now and I think we should be paying $6M for NC caliber coach. (whether or not he's that guy remains to be seen).

What boxes does he not check?
1) Rivalry record. Keep in mind Spurrier was only 5-7 v FSU. The gamble here is if he would do better on an equal recruiting ground.
2) Defense. I'm one who believes defense is easier to fix than offense. DC's are easier to get and defense can be more quickly fixed through recruiting. Having said that I have no idea if he's reverse Muschumpian in his recruiting of defense. If so, we don't want him.
3) Only one Conference championship. Again the gamble is would he do better on equal recruiting grounds.

The worst case with Gundy is probably Richt level. That's a helluva lot better than we've had in the last 8 years although we'd have to dump him eventually. But we'd be in much better shape. That's worst case. Worst case on an up and coming flash in the pan is that they are a total disaster. Not a risk I prefer to take.

Other names look good also, Fuentes, Franklin for example. I mostly choose Gundy because the Mullet is my spirit animal.

Having said all that I'd be very excited if we hire Frost.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His team, his philosophy. SOS didn't coach the defense, and while we had a few years that weren't stellar, we sure as hell were never in danger of being THAT bad on that side of the ball.
Man, I dont know. Teams could pretty much score at will on Zook and Hoke. We had one game in Hoke's last year in which we didnt stop them once the whole game (Tinerc).

Also, the numbers are skewed by flayimg all the high flying offenses of the Big 12. They dont play all the dreadful and impotent offenses that we do in the SEC.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
9nrxka.gif

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Just a random thought....Scott Frost really endears himself to recruits, players, and fans by leveraging his relationships within Nike which were established years ago when he was the OC @ Oregon. Oregon was the first school to really embrace letting Nike's design team develop unique uniform combination that help draw attention to the rising Oregon program and provide his players with pretty cool NCAA sanctioned SWAG. He has continued that @ UCF with some "really cool" (my son's words, not mine...though I do like them) gear and creative partnerships with NASA, the US ARMED FORCES.

The reason I bring this up is because I could see this rubbing some "traditionalists" the wrong way if he brought some of this creativity to Gainesville. I don't see us being as traditional as USC, Alabama or Penn State from a uniform perspective, nor do I think we need to go as crazy as Oregon did or Maryland does at times, as our brand is far...far more established. I do know that some of the "special" uniform we have tried have not been received well and in my opinion have been dreadful @ times.

When he came to UCF, he was specifically asked during his introductory interview with the media about his ability to bring some uniform creativity with him and would he consider doing so and why? He said, and I paraphrase, I want to do whatever elevates the profile of UCF in the minds of recruits, our fans, and the national football audience. Now, he might not need to do that @ Florida, but if he did "tweak" the old Orange and Blue unis from time to time.....I wonder what some of our more traditional fans would think? To me, just win and I don't give a crap what you wear while you are doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.