The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I've mostly stayed away from opining on the coaching search due to all the rumors running rampant.

However, I'm not really understanding the love affair with Scott Frost.

To be sure, I would be thrilled if he were to be hired. But I'd also be thrilled with just about anyone else. Frost doesn't have a track record. I get that he was coordinator for Oregon under Kelly, but how much credit does he actually get for that? We've seen it first-hand here. Look at Nuss... He was coordinator for a great head coach and won a national championship. He's now swindled his way into 2 concurrent major P5 jobs. And of course I'm not comparing the 2 coaches. I just think he hasn't proved enough for everyone to be so dead set on him. He's definitely not a "sure thing." He's just as much risk as anyone else.

As for my pick, put me in the Chip Kelly camp. He's less of a risk than any candidate. And all of you questioning his lack of desire to recruit are clinically insane. So you think Nick Saban is just out there lighting up the recruiting trail, huh? You remember in last year's recruiting cycle there was a kid named Jarez Parks. 4*, maybe 5*, kid. He wanted to go to Bama so bad that he took a grayshirt offer from Saban. Kids will line up to come here if Chip is our coach.

Kelly not only recruits hard, he’ll make sure they get paid to sign.

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
Does Kelly have his own bagmen or do we need to recruit some for him? We don't have the same connections with Nike that Oregon does...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know Stricklin wanted to wait until after the season before things are announced or even leaked. And that would've been fine if we were even remotely well coached by the interim staff, or if the players showed some signs of responding. But as is, I'm not sure we can wait that long. The UF program is crumbling before our eyes. Of course we know next year will arrive. But we need an announcement that there is hope on the horizon. I'm 37, witnessed the 80's first hand, sat through '13, and still have never been as disgusted as I am right now.

Also hope SS sticks it to JM in every way imaginable. He deserves nothing but bad fortune the rest of his life.

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
I know Stricklin wanted to wait until after the season before things are announced or even leaked. And that would've been fine if we were even remotely well coached by the interim staff, or if the players showed some signs of responding. But as is, I'm not sure we can wait that long. The UF program is crumbling before our eyes. Of course we know next year will arrive. But we need an announcement that there is hope on the horizon. I'm 37, witnessed the 80's first hand, sat through '13, and still have never been as disgusted as I am right now.

Also hope SS sticks it to JM in every way imaginable. He deserves nothing but bad fortune the rest of his life.

I think it would help recruiting immensely to have a hire announced and thus take some of the stink off of this season. Whoever the coach may be it would behoove us all to start the transition sooner rather than later

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
If the coach is Kelly, it needs to be announced pronto. If it is someone in their season, that would be the only way I am ok with them keeping it hush until the first possible second they can announce. If it takes until mid December to get this done, we might as well kiss this recruiting class goodbye.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We brought this on ourselves through our own ignorance and arrogance. Or, perhaps I should say, through Jeremy Foley's ignorance and arrogance.

It's fair and objective to now say Foley is the worst thing that ever happened to Florida football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The UF program is crumbling before our eyes. Of course we know next year will arrive. But we need an announcement that there is hope on the horizon. I'm 37, witnessed the 80's first hand, sat through '13, and still have never been as disgusted as I am right now.
This was inevitable by the time we finished Butterteeth's second class.

#3starU

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It can be posited: our players have the strength of high school players. Get a "results-demanding" S&C coach.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am not here to put in my 2 cents for who I want the next coach to be, rather I am now of the strong opinion that regardless who the new head coach is (even if it is Law Swamp Mule), I am in favor of absolutely no one, I repeat, not a single person, be retained from this staff or anyone else who has been anywhere near Butters during his time here. I don't personally dislike all of the staff (most of them I think are awful coaches tho) and I get the concept of relationships for recruiting with both recruits and coaches, but this is no longer a dumpster fire. It is a complete tear down. This is not a rehab project, where you might keep one wall or maybe you like the floor here or the room size here. NO. This is a tear down with a monumental rebuild in store. And you can't keep any remnants or weakness or failure if you are doing a complete tear down and brand new rebuild. The change has to start at the top and I am not advocating getting rid or the Prez, b/c I think he is a good guy who does not care that much about football, but we do have a new AD. Sadly that new AD has appears to be a puppet hanging from strings, but prove me wrong. Prove to me you are of the opinion that the demolition must be total and the rebuild supervised from day 1. No delegating. Get a guy who has his finger on the pulse of everything!!!!!!!!!!!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We brought this on ourselves through our own ignorance and arrogance. Or, perhaps I should say, through Jeremy Foley's ignorance and arrogance.

It's fair and objective to now say Foley is the worst thing that ever happened to Florida football.

Welcome to reality. Better late than never. Many of us were saying it publically long before Gatorchatter existed and we had to poke around on that gawd awful place at the G'ville slime!!!!!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to reality. Better late than never. Many of us were saying it publically long before Gatorchatter existed and we had to poke around on that gawd awful place at the G'ville slime!!!!!!

I was among them, my friend, sad as it is necessary to say.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If Miami holds on to win tonight, they can only win one more game. Because Richt is only a ten wins a year coach.
Not necessarily. He's not a championship coach. They have no chance of winning anything of substance. I know he would have been a dream hire for you but I'd like to win titles again.

I hate that scuzzy program.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Apologies if these articles have already been posted.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ached-three-candidates-fill-coaching-vacancy/

Report: Florida has approached three candidates to fill coaching vacancy
PAUL HARVEY | 2 DAYS AGO

It appears Florida has three candidates for the Gators open heading coaching position.

A number of rumors have floated around since Jim McElwain’s departure from the program, but everything to this point has been speculation. Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen, UCF’s Scott Frost, and Oregon’s Willie Taggart were some of the first names mentioned.

Each of those coaches were purely speculation, but a recent report directly links the Gators to three candidates. It was also reported that these three names are the top choices for Florida in the search.

Marc Ryan shared the names on Twitter Thursday:
Marc Ryan

✔@MarcRyanOnAir

From a very reliable source. UF has reached out to representatives of Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly, and Charlie Strong to gauge interest in becoming the #Gators next head coach. These are believed to be UF's top choices.

1:31 PM - Nov 9, 2017

Bob Stoops has the most successful track record of the three coaches mentioned. He compiled a record of 190-48 with 10 conference championships and a National Championship during his time with Oklahoma.

Stoops took over as head coach for the Sooners in 1999 after serving as Florida’s defensive coordinator from 1996-98 under Steve Spurrier. It will be interesting to see if Stoops may return to coaching after stepping down at Oklahoma in June of this year.

In terms of turning around Florida’s woeful offense, Chip Kelly would be an interesting choice. Kelly is best known for his electric offense during his time with the Oregon Ducks. He led the Ducks to 46 wins, three Pac-10/Pac-12 championships, and a trip to the BCS National Championship Game in four season.

Charlie Strong, much like Stoops, has ties with Florida as defensive coordinator. Strong coached with the Gators from 2003-2009 in a number of different roles. He served as Urban Meyer’s DC from 2008-09 before beginning his head coaching career with Louisville.

Strong has since returned to the state of Florida with USF after stints at Louisville and Texas. He has the Bulls off to an 8-1 start this season.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...fascinating-rumor-florida-coaching-transition

Steve Spurrier responds to fascinating rumor about Florida coaching transition
KEITH FARNER | 1 DAY AGO

Steve Spurrier has been squarely in the middle of the Florida coaching situation for weeks, especially after it came out that he asked former coach Jim McElwain if he could help with the offense and was rebuffed.

The former coach, Gators quarterback and current Florida ambassador addressed a rumor when he appeared as a guest on the Buddy Martin Radio Show, and here is a replay of the Facebook Live version of the show. Spurrier responded to several topics, most notably how he sees the search for a new coach going led by Athletics Director Scott Stricklin.

Spurrier added about McElwain, that after the Georgia game and the comments the coach made about receiving death threats, that “maybe it was time for a change” even though his players played with energy and fire and passion, “just about all the time.”

Spurrier said Stricklin would have a excellent coach hired in three to four weeks.

“The coach is with his team now,” Spurrier said. “The coach we’re going to hire is probably I would almost 100 percent say is coaching his team today, this weekend and through the end of the season and maybe through the bowl game.”

Spurrier also did his part to squash a rumor connecting him with former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, a one-time coordinator under Spurrier at Florida, about the now open head coaching position. Spurrier reiterated what Stoops has said, that he enjoys the retired life.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Not necessarily. He's not a championship coach. They have no chance of winning anything of substance. I know he would have been a dream hire for you but I'd like to win titles again.

I hate that scuzzy program.
Dislike the U as much or more than the dogs, but I disagree with the posters who imagine that some good coaches are somehow destined to never win a championship . The best way to win a championship is to first put yourself in position to win a championship. If Richt beats Clemson he will have done that.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Key word, meaning he has no clue.
Spurrier has no clue?!! :lmao:

There's no question that he, of all people other than Stricklin, knows what's going on with the coaching search. Also, he's a serial statement-qualifier. Even in that article, he says about McElwain, that “maybe it was time for a change” even though his players played with energy and fire and passion, “just about all the time.”

How did you miss those other statements? You're not saying Spurrier "has no clue" about those, are you?

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I'm saying whenever someone says "probably" they are speculating. Had he said "Our next HC is coaching his team till the end of the season" it holds more weight than "Our HC probably or may be coaching his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator