Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys really want a hundred year old SOS who quit on his USCe team over Mullen?
There are only about 5 coaches I want less than that piece of shyt.

Shyttersfull is a 4-7 loss coach. If we were going to swing and miss at least we could hire one with an upside.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys really want a hundred year old SOS who quit on his USCe team over Mullen?
I can't speak for anyone else, but the answer for me is an emphatic YES. He could have been a nice stopgap if we didn't get Kelly or Frost.

Mullen is going to win just enough to be here a long, long time. For those that hate these coaching searches, you'll be happy. I'll have a long white beard and a couple of marbles rolling around upstairs by the time Mullen is mercifully fired decades from now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is going to win just enough to be here a long, long time. For those that hate these coaching searches, you'll be happy. I'll have a long white beard and a couple of marbles rolling around upstairs by the time Mullen is mercifully fired decades from now.
Youre talking about a guy who lost to a 1AA team last year.

Im pretty confident he will flop badly and quickly.

Im also optimistic that Stricklin wont survive this. He has no built up credibility and just pissed onnthe shoes of the alums.

Ox is about as true of an Creyer lover as there is and he hates Mullen. That says it all.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
That kind of offense? No.

Mullen runs a pretty specific offense, basically an old.1950s veer which needs a big fullback QB.

BTW, in his 8th year at Cowbell, with HIS players, he lost to South Alabama and six other teams.
Uh no. Meyer said a few times his offense is Spread Single Wing. Look at the formation and youll see the similarities

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
...and still carries a torch for Spurrier. Played in 13 games under SOS with 6 TDs and 3 INTs. Somehow he's a fly on the wall regarding AD boardroom conversations in Gainesville? He's entitled to his opinions, but that's all they are.
He's a Bull Gator, so maybe he's a "fly on the wall" from time to time. Who knows?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I was completely surprised. He was the OC for 2 national championships but he'll need to be the coach of a 3rd before this hire will look good. I will gudgingly add, it's better than Zook, the Chump and Mac. That's not saying much however. It was a splash hire though -- a belly flop.

:rimshot:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
If Mullen coached in the sec east all these years with MSU he would have averaged 2 maybe 3 more wins a year and we would all feel better about this hire.

If Kelly is so great why wouldn't USC usher Helton out for him? Instead they let him to to UCLA. Hmmm.

My first choice was Frost, second Kelly thern the drop down to Mullen and Strong and I preferrd Dan because he's an sec west coach.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else, but the answer for me is an emphatic YES. He could have been a nice stopgap if we didn't get Kelly or Frost.

Problems I've got with SOS as a stopgap...
1. His last two years at USCe. Pretty bad and included a loss to FBS The Citadel. He was losing steam then...and we're supposed to believe he has the energy now to lead UF?
2. It would clearly be a stopgap...so who's gonna sign on as an assistant (of quality proportions) to be on a stopgap staff?
3. Though the name would surely bring some punch to recruiting, that would be balanced by recruits knowing they'd only have him for a couple of years. I don't think the benefit would outweigh the risk.

Listen, the guy's a legend and will always have top billing in the hearts of Gators everywhere. First Heisman, check. First natty, check. Coached the second Heisman, check. But that's all in the 60's-90's. We are TWENTY YEARS past his glory days flinging a visor on the Florida Field sideline. Let's move forward.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So why is everyone considering him the best QB developer in the country with passing numbers like those?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Really? Hell, I'll bet they talk all the time.
I'm sure they do...but I don't think it's likely that they'd talk about this. SS is truly the only one who knows if there was SERIOUS consideration of SOS coming back as HBC.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I was part of the "fire Mullen" crowd back before he went to MS. This is a hunk of shyt hire...period. I hope SS gets fired.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
So why is everyone considering him the best QB developer in the country with passing numbers like those?

Same way that everyone seems to label him as a 'winner' despite every possible statistics saying otherwise.

How on earth does a guy with a losing conference record over 9 years, and the atrocious record against ranked teams get labeled a 'winner' at all?

In his entire career as OC and HC, he's had really great teams 3 times. All 3 when he had the exact right QB (Alex Smith, Tebow, Prescott). When he doesn't have a giant bulldozer who can kinda throw the ball sometimes, it's garbage.

We just hired a guy as an offensive guru. In his entire time at MSU, he had ONE top-10 offense. After that? only one that even broke the top 40.

Smoking mirrors, I tell ya

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
No, of course not.

Corral, if he stays, will never do anything in this offense.
Not that anyone of importance reads this message board, but Really! This is great conversation...We say our new coach can't recruit great players, so we help him out by making comments like this to help scare a committed recruit off...NOT THAT THEY ARE READING...but some recruits may hear about the fan base displeasure . You really know what's broken at Florida, We Are! We are the most obnoxious, egotistical, spoiled brat fans in college sports. Hey I'm pissed too! We were told we're gonna make Football fun again. I just don't see it with this hire. I see boredom. I see mediocrity. I see another coaching search in 4 years, while I see every other program get their guy. If we are all that, why didn't happen for Florida. Don't blame Strickland. Blame US. No one wants OUR job because US. Read this board again. Who would want to step to a podium every week and explain why we only won 21-13 while "Fire ___" message boards get set up on your 1st day. We are a difficult job, because of US

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Not that anyone of importance reads this message board, but Really! This is great conversation...We say our new coach can't recruit great players, so we help him out by making comments like this to help scare a committed recruit off...NOT THAT THEY ARE READING...but some recruits may hear about the fan base displeasure . You really know what's broken at Florida, We Are! We are the most obnoxious, egotistical, spoiled brat fans in college sports. Hey I'm pissed too! We were told we're gonna make Football fun again. I just don't see it with this hire. I see boredom. I see mediocrity. I see another coaching search in 4 years, while I see every other program get their guy. If we are all that, why didn't happen for Florida. Don't blame Strickland. Blame US. No one wants OUR job because US. Read this board again. Who would want to step to a podium every week and explain why we only won 21-13 while "Fire ___" message boards get set up on your 1st day. We are a difficult job, because of US
My God, that's it! Its all OUR fault! We're such lousy fans! Maybe we should all quit going to games, donating money, buying gear, watching it on TV, since we're all bad fans, and then lets see if they have $7 mil to throw at lousy coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.