Status
Not open for further replies.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
For those that are adamantly against Mullen being hired ... who should we have went for after being told no by CK and Frost as well as Norvell appears to be unhireable for some reason.
My question exactly...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
High Schoolers don't grow? :dunno: By the time he is a RS Fresh, he would be up to 225
:lol: now you're just making random crap up out of nowhere and flinging it. I get it, youve decided to go back to extreme pump, but dont expect me to believe you when you piss on my shoe but tell me its raining. :D

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: now you're just making random crap up out of nowhere and flinging it. I get it, youve decided to go back to extreme pump, but dont expect me to believe you when you piss on my shoe but tell me its raining. :D
Grier put on 30 in one year. you think Fields can't put on 25 in 2? come on man

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not exactly overwhelmed with this turn of events. But I can hear my dear departed Grandma's voice in my head, saying what she would always say when something didn't quite work out as expected..."It could be worse!" And I guess that's where I am right now, wait and see. I kinda had a feeling when Nebraska fired their HBC that Frost was most likely out of reach and this process would become more of a crap shoot than a lock.

For me personally, I think the key to making this thing work is that the first two details Mullen has to work out is assembling a good staff that can not only coach at a higher level than what we've experienced for at least these past three seasons, but who can also contribute to the second detail and that is salvaging a decent recruiting class. We'll see what shakes out pretty soon, I'm sure.

I think Mullen obviously comes in with some repair work as far as the fan base is concerned, given comments attributed to him and his missus, but he's got 7 million reasons to get it cleaned up (and I still can't conceive that figure in this situation BTW). I don't expect him to fall prostrate at a press conference confessing his sins (nor would I expect him to do so), but I think the onus is clearly on him to come in and start winning and what he can do with the recruits is again a first big test. He's not lauded as a great recruiter, but a good staff can help to offset that if it is so. A little bird told me that he is already planning in-home visits with many of the commits, so I have to take that as a positive.

A poll in one of the recent threads had me answer, concerning this hire, that "anything was better than 'Butters and Nuss!'" so that's all I've got for now. Come in and win. That's what I want. I'll be watching carefully (and maybe dreaming about what might have been!).

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I've been thinking about this a little bit, why didn't we want Mullen as HC?

Some people will point to his MSU statistics which are valid but you know the most fun you've had as a fan outside of SOS was while Mullen was calling the plays here. He left and the offense lost its edge even though Urban was still around and Tebow was still running the offense which culminated in getting smoked by Bama in the SECCG. Things have only gotten worse since and that includes some Urban teams.

The others will say that he and his wife talked **** about Gainesville and called us a lateral move. Honestly, I wonder if this was all just shade thrown at Foley. It's known that Mullen and Foley had issues but we now know how bad Foley was as an AD for football. We've seen what he did to this program and now we're hoping to catch up to much lesser teams. Mullen seems happy to be back and that's probably because Foley is gone. Also the money but I personally don't think he takes the deal if Foley had been the one to offer it.

I'm selling/sold myself on this hire as much I can. I'm excited to see what he does with the offense and I hope he can recruit with the best because that's exactly what he'll be doing. Most of the former players seem extremely happy so I'm down.

GataFlava08

Sep 21, 2017
Certainly not thrilled by the hire, but I’ll hold off on passing judgement until I see who he hires to round out his staff and if there is a spike (in either direction) in recruits leaving or joining the program.

Details of the contract will tell us a lot as well

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
There was a thread here a few weeks ago where she was interviewed for local radio in Mississippi and inferred that UF fans are such awful horrible scourge of the Earth that she had to literally drive ALL THE WAY to Orlando just do her grocery shopping to get away so she wouldn't be heckled or hear about losing a game.

I don't think that's an entirely accurate report, 007. She was praising MsU fan base, as she should, and said she'd never been in a bad situation. Said nothing was good enough even when they were winning, kinda like SOS when he left. She was working in Orlando back then, so she went to Publix there rather than G-vile. Yeah, she took a little shot, but that's about as benign as it gets. With the constant flow of vitriol expressed here on GC, who wouldn't avoid being subject to that in person?

Here's what she actually said (though there may be more I haven't heard):

"There is nothing like being a Mississippi State Bulldog,” she said. “The support of fans here is so unlike anything anywhere else. It’s unbelievable. I’ve never experienced a really bad situation. The former school we were at, won two national championships there, won practically every game we played for four years there."

"It wasn’t if you won or lost. If we didn’t score 43 points or more, I was going to the grocery store in Orlando where I worked with the Golf Channel and I was driving the groceries back to Gainesville because it was that bad."

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still hoping it's a one-year deal.
No way. I bet we're on the hook for 3 years minimum with a $10M buyout. If the $7M is accurate, that's a $31M commitment to the new coach.

In the scheme of things, Strickin whiffing on Kelly and Frost is a huge and costly blunder. The Gators had to pay top dollar for the best thing left out there, and for the Gators, it probably was Mullen.

I saw your post earlier where you said Mullen would win just enough to stick long term here. That could play out a number of ways, lets hope it plays out the way it did for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'm hearing he gets a contract extension from Stricklin after a successful O&B game victory.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mostly off the forums due to work. But, one competitor site was easier to check from my phone so I was on it a little bit more than others. For some reason, I only recently realized that this site was available through Tapatalk.
Welcome back. Hope you stick around and post more again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.