UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Meyer showed a propensity to change things up based on personnel. Very true. Mullen has shown no such thing as the lead decision maker (head coach) in 9 years. So yes, we will.
Did Mullen need to change at MSU based on personnel? Serious question .

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
It's outrageous. This is like paying a 3rd round NFL draft pick 1st round money. He should have been offered two things:

1) $1 more than you're making at MSU.
2) The opportunity to leave this sh*thole you've been living in for the last 9 years to return to the great state of Florida....and we'll pay for your move.
Sounds exactly like what he was offered

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
i wondered this as well... Did he have the Bulls at QB that precipitated this type of dynamic, or was he putting square pegs in a round hole? I seriously do not know

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
@pat_dooley: Dan Mullen's contract -- $6 million a year for six years, the Sun has learned

Time to change the thread title.

I hope it’s a very heavily incentive-laden contract. Something like $2 mil unless he brings home some hardware. And I don’t mean divisional hardware.

I’m crazy, I know...

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't Kelly, Frost, well I guess that's everyone, so Mullen then. Mullen is the bottom of the barrel. A bad recruiter, developer and coach with a losing record. And he has history with the university that is very negative, both himself and his ignorant wife insulting the fanbase. This is a terrible hire, he won't win sh#t here and will be fired in 3-4 years with us even worse off than we are now. Stricklin sealed his fate with this hire. Now we are stuck waiting for the inevitable.
After being publicly rejected twice, he faced the risk of going down the road Fooley did when he settled on Zook after multiple rejections. He went with a guy that wants to be here, that he's comfortable with. I know, if he can't take the heat he shouldn't be our AD. Problem is he is our AD. No point in pissing on Mullen, its not his fault. He's not as bad as you make him out, he's done better than Sherrill at MSU did. As far as his comments, big deal. Spurrier laid into us on his way out too.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but again, we're not a program the top guys want now. Yes, we could have poached a young innovator and hoped they thrived, hell I would prefer it. But none of them deserve it. And what's the outrage? if its that we couldn't convince a top guy to take the job, I'm with you. But pretending Mullen didn't have a monumental job in the SEC west at a dog crap school is just stupid.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good question. I can't answer that to the level you are looking for, but I will say this. He hasn't always had a good qb at MSU (dak, the current kid) but the offense has pretty much remained the same and the record that season was just a bit worse. Does that mean he had the right guy but he just ended up sucking or does that mean he tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and it didnt work? I dunno, but his offenses havent appeared to change in 9 years. I know that.

Maybe he can change it up to meet our personnel. I sure hope so. But I'm just not someone that spends much time hoping. I prefer to look at current situation and past history to determine my expectation for the future. I have hope, but my expectations are not high.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Good question. I can't answer that to the level you are looking for, but I will say this. He hasn't always had the type qb that he needs for his offense (tebow, dak, the current kid) but the offense has pretty much remained the same and the record that season was just a bit worse.

Maybe he can change it up to meet our personnel. I sure hope so. But I'm just not someone that spends much time hoping. I prefer to look at current situation and past history to determine my expectation for the future. I have hope, but my expectations are not high.

Yeah past results tends to be a pretty good indication of future performance. So if he can recruit like Urban (LOL)... can't even finish the sentence.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Well, if the #1 rated dual threat QB in America can't run it because he is "too small" how does anyone field a team who runs it? Seriously, you are way out on a limb here.
In GMD's defense...
(from team pages)
Tim Tebow 6'3"/245#
Dak Prescott 6'2"/229#
Nick Fitzgerald 6'5"/230#
Justin Fields 6'3"/221#
Matt Corral 6'2"/185#

Corral clearly doesn't fit the size test for Mullin's offense, but Fields is right in there with the others. And then there's:
Kyle Trask 6'5"/238#
Feleipe Franks 6'5"/227#
Jake Allen 6'3"/199# (yeah, might as well look for another school...sorry Jake)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah past results tends to be a pretty good indication of future performance. So if he can recruit like Urban (LOL)... can't even finish the sentence.
Yeah i know. hes had a few good players, but they were fly under the radar ones that he got lucky with. We know that doesnt work here. Really it doesnt work there either, its just when you go 9-3 there they act like you just won a title. The recruiting is my biggest fear. He's got to contend with richt and jimbob, and now strong and even kiffin. And he's never been accused of liking or even being very good at it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In GMD's defense...
(from team pages)
Tim Tebow 6'3"/245#
Dak Prescott 6'2"/229#
Nick Fitzgerald 6'5"/230#
Justin Fields 6'3"/221#
Matt Corral 6'2"/185#

Corral clearly doesn't fit the size test for Mullin's offense, but Fields is right in there with the others. And then there's:
Kyle Trask 6'5"/238#
Feleipe Franks 6'5"/227#
Jake Allen 6'3"/199# (yeah, might as well look for another school...sorry Jake)
in his defense? the numbers you just put up prove my point. And again, fields is currently a recruit, which means his measurables are going to be anywhere between 5-15% inflated. Hes probably about 205 and 6'1. He'd be fine at auburn or oklahoma but murdered running the qb power into SEC defenses. As far as trask who knows, but franks? really? He's tall and thin, would not be a good idea.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
Look at the ranking of Total O and then compare that to ours over the past few years. That with anything close to the D we had just a couple of years ago and we are knocking on heaven's door.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, you just posted a whole bunch of guesses with zero actual information. The fact is that he offered the job to Kelly and Kelly turned us down. End of story, unless you think he should be beaten unconscious, handcuffed, and stuffed on the plane against his will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb