Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lucky for us, we had Tebow as a running option that season. Mullen's offense demands a QB that can run the ball effectively.

200.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. We also had a lot of plays work (see the LSU game) because no one knew how to attempt to defend Tebow yet. We played some great defense that year and had a few timely plays. Reggie Nelson may have been the MVP that year.
That LSU game was the advent of the rocker step play action with Tebow. Completely changed the game. I was amazed by it, a quarterback running his own play action and throwing a TD pass. :lol:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be fine with us cutting ties with Corral and getting a 3 star QB that fits the offense.

I wish the program was in a place to say these type of things. If Mullen can't adapt to our strengths then maybe you are right. Maybe he gets another once in a lifetime QB like Tebow.

We lack talent. I'd rather let the chips fall where they may than pigeon hole into a 3 star.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I'd also like to see Mullen be able to take the best talent you can get and build your offense around them than trying to pound them into an offense that they don't fit in or get lesser talent for your one type of offense.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So, what if our staff goes all in on Corral and they stop recruiting other QBs only to have Corral decommit at the last minute and they land zero QBs. No. We must recruit as many as we can at all positions. If one QB is scared of competition then we didnt want him anyhow. It would be as dumb as telling an existing QB who is suspended for a year that he is guaranteed the starting spot a year later.
Actually it's a lot easier this year. Smart move in my opinion would be to hold off and try to get Carrol to sign early. If he doesn't then you know it's not a sure thing so you go hard after other targets, if he does sign early you still go hard after more targets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wish the program was in a place to say these type of things. If Mullen can't adapt to our strengths then maybe you are right.
Mullen can't adapt. He's proven it over the last 12 years.

they all mouth bs about adapting to the talent and yet they never do.

we've seen enough of Mullins to know he needs running quarterbacks and several of them.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen can't adapt. He's proven it over the last 12 years.

they all mouth of crap about adapting to the talent and yet they never do.

we've seen enough of Mullins to know he needs running quarterbacks and several of them.

Tiger can't change his strips, eh? Sigh.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Thing that I do not get is, why does Corral WANT to come to Florida now? If character is an issue, he would be much better off going to a JUCO and becoming a model student and star than coming to Florida and spending his days practicing running his 180lb scrawny butt into the line of scrimmage and getting killed. When the only two pass plays in the book are screen/swing pass and "everybody go deep and the first one to pass the car I will throw to", there is not a lot passing development going on there. Also, I would think that the head coach not making time to talk to you in a week should send a pretty strong message as to where your recruitment stands with him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thing that I do not get is, why does Corral WANT to come to Florida now? If character is an issue, he would be much better off going to a JUCO and becoming a model student and star than coming to Florida and spending his days practicing running his 180lb scrawny butt into the line of scrimmage and getting killed. When the only two pass plays in the book are screen/swing pass and "everybody go deep and the first one to pass the car I will throw to", there is not a lot passing development going on there. Also, I would think that the head coach not making time to talk to you in a week should send a pretty strong message as to where your recruitment stands with him.

Why do you say the head coach hasn’t talked to him?

Some of you will make any damn thing up.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Why do you say the head coach hasn’t talked to him?

Some of you will make any damn thing up.

Mostly because after Gonzalez met with him, there was not 1 single tweet from the kid one way or the other than he has spoken to the head coach. With all of the Twitter activity from Corral, you really think that he years from the new Florida head coach that he does not announce that all over the place? Maybe I am extrapolating, but I do not think that is too much of a reach. Meanwhile every inaccurate throwing running back mis-cast as a high school QBs are posting how Dan Mullen is calling them and checking in on them.

Again, proof in a court of law? Nope. But, the way these kids live their lives through Twitter, most of what happens with them is pretty well known. I mean, do people really think Mullen called Corral and at the end of their conversation told him to keep it top secret?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There is so much wrong with this post, I can't even.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why do people think that coaches don't ever learn anything? Are they some sort of weird type of human unlike the rest of us that never learns any lessons along life's path? Does Saban or any coach run the exact same offense today that they did 10 years ago? For instance, when I built my first Baja truck I did a fairly good job and used it to win some races, but every day I look at it I see things I would do differently. The next time I build a truck it will be better than the current one, but there is no way to go back and re-engineer the truck I have now in a cost effective way. Perhaps building a football program has some similar learning points and limitations?

For that matter, why do people think that a coach has an "offense" in the same vein that they thing a coach has a birthmark? As if its some sort of constant trait that will always be there? If some coach has a scheme or plan that works, do they play the games in secret so no other coaches can see what they do or devise a way to defend it? Hasn't every formation and play that Saban and Meyer have ever run in a game exist on film for all to see? If a coach has a scheme that always gets defended, why would they keep running it? If a coach has a scheme that always works, why wouldn't everyone run it?

My guess is that the more you try and confuse the defense with a scheme, the harder it is to teach that scheme to your own guys in the short amount of practice time available to coach up these amateur players. So you try and find the right balance between a simple offense executed perfectly and a deviously deceptive offense executed poorly based on the talent and ability available at the time. For a less talented group of players, perhaps running the veer is the most effective scheme, whereas such a simple scheme would be wasted on a group of smarter faster athletes.

If I see Mullen recruit a skinny QB and use him to run power then I'll come to the conclusion we have a guy who isn't smart enough to use the players he has and is only a one trick pony. Until then I'll take a wait and see approach and hope that in all the years of being an offensive coordinator he's learned some stuff about offense and in the 9 years he's been a HC he's learned some things about running a program.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Perfect example of what Zambo was saying. In 2015, Dak's senior season, MSU was 101st in rushing offense and 14th in passing offense. Dak's a big guy who had running ability, but his strength was throwing the ball, so Mullen engineered the offense that way. Two years later, the numbers are basically reversed with Nick Fitzgerald, whose strength is running the ball as opposed to throwing it. Mullen is going to run whatever kind of offense suits his quarterback's skillset.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald were both 3 star recruits, right?

Put a 3 star QB like them into a Mullen offense with 4/5 star RBs, OL, and WRs, I think we'd get pretty impressive offensive production, right?

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
There is so much wrong with this post, I can't even.

Pick 1. I am not above being wrong and corrected, so just list one of those many things and explain where it is wrong. This is a "discussion" board, right?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This Carrol subject doesn't warrent all this anti-Carrol wry-heaves. Carrol has given no indication that he dodges competition. He has remained a more stalwart Gator-faithful than anyone, especially than Fields who I hear only praise for. Carrol is not a scrawny 180 pounder, he's a 6'2" 196 lb highschool senior in early December.The leading Heisman candidate Baker Mayfield is 6'1" 220 lb college senior, with 4 years of college nutrition guidance and S&C development more than Corral.

Carrol has the right, in practices, to open Mullen's eyes on the fact that Carrol can run Dan's offense better than other QBs Dan's collected. Frankly, I like our RBs to amass the running yards and our QBs to tear it up passing.The great worry when your QB runs is injury that causes you the loss of your passer, your leader. If everyone is resigning to having that battering-ram QB offense, then that's how you want Fields used? Is that his style? And he will hold up in that. Tebow was a 240 lb knot of muscles, giving more than he got. Not anymore coming along like that.

Will UF have the greater chance to be dominant if we have 2 offensive minded coaches (HC,OC) with the same tunnelvision on styles, repetoire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator