Best Posts in Thread: Spikes vs Siler and others

1. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $10,432
    Ratings:
    +11,477 / -798
    A few got into a debate on one of the recruiting threads about who was better btw Spikes and Siler and CGator recommended a different thread. I have an opinion on this one, but would be fun for people to throw out some other player comparisons.

I've had the opportunity to watch both up-close in practice as well as games. Siler was a solid, solid LB. Good at everything, but had a ceiling. Hence the draft position. Spikes definitely had his limitations; he was stiff, not the fastest guy and benefited greatly from a scheme that funneled stuff to him. But I'll say this about Spikes...very few realize how savage he was in a few areas and it really changed what people could do against us. He had a great 1st step and I'm sure many remember him beating All-SEC tackles with a speed rush a few times, but his ability to destroy blocks in the run-game is what got him drafted. He was just an angry 250# dude. He won the majority of blocks that didn't have good angles and teams simply wouldn't even run certain plays, bc they knew he'd destroy the guard. That was against teams like bama in 2008 too. That's one of the reasons teams had trouble exploiting our DTs when they were very average. The other thing I'll say about him is that he completely set the tone in practice in early 2008. He was absolutely dominant in drills, but he was also serious AF. People wouldn't take it easy in drills, bc they were scared he'd get pissed and make them go against him.

Siler, Bostic, Crowder, Davis etc were all studs, but if I get a Gator MLB for one game, it's Spikes for sure.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,594
      Ratings:
      +6,474 / -394
      If the discussion is between Siler and Spikes only as college LB's this is easy. Spikes was a much better all around LB than Siler. Take nothing away from Siler, but he was drafted in the 7th round for one very good reason. Siler was terrible in space, especially in pass coverage and especially in zone coverage. He was always unaware of what was going on in his zone and it was the large knock on him in draft reports. he was an excellent in the box LB behind a tremendous d-Line, which he proved to be his junior year. It is also why he left early, even tho he knew he would be a late rounder or an undrafted FA b/c the D-line returning in 2007 was going to be awful, which they were. With that said, Siler had a nice long NFL career, b/c he was smart and knew his assignments, but just could not cover the pass.

Spikes was slow afoot in a straight line, but he was excellent at diagnosing plays in both the run and the pass. He often times was in the throwing lanes on pass plays and even had some real INT's (not deflected to him) during his college career. I once asked a player on the defense with Spikes what made him so good at those things b/c he was slow afoot, and his answer was simply "film study". Said Spikes watched a ton of tape and knew how to watch it and break it down. His NFL career has not bee the greatest, but he was an excellent MLB in college.

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,530
        Ratings:
        +2,979 / -123
        I am a little partial to spikes because of the hit he put on Knowsho. That sealed the game early.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $10,160
          Ratings:
          +19,118 / -94
          Spike's Mamma made him this pink suit.

He wore it coming off the plane in Glendale. I believe that was his redshirt year and he didn't play but we all noticed him. He wore it again in Miami for the Oklahoma game. Wore it with the Patriots before the Super Bowl too.

Pink suit FTW.

[​IMG]

Alex.

• t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt

Oxbucks:
            $5,118
            Ratings:
            +11,410 / -613
            Spikes all day everyday. You didn't wanna see that scary basterd across field. Dude was a thumper and cleaned up everything. I wouldn't trade spikes for anybody.

• GatorStud

GatorStud Score Points, Be Happy
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $599
              Ratings:
              +2,543 / -16
              I'm thinking Spikes hangs with me at the bar and Siler helps move a days worth of freight.
              :lol3:

• OurProgramIsBroken

OurProgramIsBroken Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $781
                Ratings:
                +454 / -34
                Spikes and Siler, were great college LBs , and even better leaders. Our defense/team lack both now

• CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $8,303
                  Ratings:
                  +11,332 / -183
                  I’m not good at evaluating talent, so take it fwiw... if you took Siler’s brain and work ethic and put it in Spikes’ body, you’d ALMOST have Marshall 2.0, but we’re dang lucky to have those three names associated with Gator FB.

[emoji246][emoji246][emoji246]

• jdh5484

jdh5484 Just Beat UGa
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,466
                    Ratings:
                    +7,078 / -136
                    Plus, there's the whole Predator thing
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                        • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                        • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.