1959 Attendance

Jun 2, 2015
I was looking thru some football items that my late husband had of the Univ. of Miami football where he played from 1957 - 61. Curci was the QB & Jim Otto, center. (00 for the Raiders). I came across an interesting attendance page that gave the stats for Miami's away games in 1959. Actually. it was somewhat surprising particularly when you compare with the current UF attendance. Miami is simply not a college football town nor can our 12,000 undergrads compare with UF's & FSU's 40,000 plus undergrads. Plus, the majority of Miami's students are from NY,NJ, Ohio & PA. & return home upon graduation. UF & FSU students are mainly from Florida & find jobs in our larger cities and attend games. So, be nice & don't attack Miami's attendance record.
Miami @ FSU - 17, 600 (Peterson was the FSU coach)
Miami @ LSU - 67,000 (Billy Cannon era)
Miami @ UF - 25,000
My husband stated LSU was the craziest and most intimidating place he ever played in. I graduated from Robert E. Lee in Jax in 1956 & when we played Andrew Jackson in the Gator Bowl each year, we would have between 20,000 to 25,000 in attendance.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice memories.....

I attended Dupont HS in Jax back in 59/60, before moving to Tampa.

Life was so much simpler in those days.

BTW: You can't spell Suck without the U!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Daytonacane, my older sister graduated from Andrew Jackson in 1958. I remember the Jackson-Lee rivalry games, but I most remembered that across-the-street hamburger joint (Bailey's?) where the server girls roller-skated your food tray out to your parked car. I was 12. Lee usually beat Jackson.

Jackson's center went to our church. Lee Causey had movie-star good looks, We laughed about the fact that Causey was easy to spot due to his uniform being stark white, while his teammates' uniforms were much dirt-smudged. 5 years post-graduation my eyes were struck by the inside back cover of Reader's Digest. There stood that Lee Causey family, all beautiful, in a full cover print ad for State Farm. The ad copy went on about how State Farm had satisfied this randomly chosen family's insurance needs. And State Farm will do that for your family. {trouble is, I happened to know Lee was an employee of State Farm.} Truth in advertising.

I relate this here because I refuse to associate with either Jackson or Lee graduates that I could talk to.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was looking thru some football items that my late husband had of the Univ. of Miami football where he played from 1957 - 61. Curci was the QB & Jim Otto, center. (00 for the Raiders). I came across an interesting attendance page that gave the stats for Miami's away games in 1959. Actually. it was somewhat surprising particularly when you compare with the current UF attendance. . So, be nice & don't attack Miami's attendance record. .

nxCggA.gif

Jun 2, 2015
Daytonacane, my older sister graduated from Andrew Jackson in 1958. I remember the Jackson-Lee rivalry games, but I most remembered that across-the-street hamburger joint (Bailey's?) where the server girls roller-skated your food tray out to your parked car. I was 12. Lee usually beat Jackson.

Jackson's center went to our church. Lee Causey had movie-star good looks, We laughed about the fact that Causey was easy to spot due to his uniform being stark white, while his teammates' uniforms were much dirt-smudged. 5 years post-graduation my eyes were struck by the inside back cover of Reader's Digest. There stood that Lee Causey family, all beautiful, in a full cover print ad for State Farm. The ad copy went on about how State Farm had satisfied this randomly chosen family's insurance needs. And State Farm will do that for your family. {trouble is, I happened to know Lee was an employee of State Farm.} Truth in advertising.

I relate this here because I refuse to associate with either Jackson or Lee graduates that I could talk to.
Reply: Not sure I understand your last sentence

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Reply: Not sure I understand your last sentence

It's just unfounded silliness implying that I don't want people thinking that I associate with people who went to either one of those two schools. I got room to talk. I graduated from uncredited Ribault. :cool:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well Fran Curci was the coach of the best football team Kintucky ever had which was 1976. Derrick Ramsey, Art Still etc,.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
cursed never got over Reeves and the boys that flopped for him to break the national passing yardage record.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nice memories.....

I attended Dupont HS in Jax back in 59/60, before moving to Tampa.

Life was so much simpler in those days.

BTW: You can't spell Suck without the U!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Wait…how fricking old are you? 59/60 is 63 years ago…that was before the printing press. Are you 81? You know how a computer works?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Wait…how fricking old are you? 59/60 is 63 years ago…that was before the printing press. Are you 81? You know how a computer works?

You really think he’s awake at the moment? Check your phone around quarter to five for a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb