2019 NFL Draft: ZERO Vols drafted AGAIN

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I want all the best players regardless of state :)
Youre in the wrong place then.

We are just hoping for some quality leftovers once the elite teams fill up.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like our old friend Gerald Willis was the player most of the talking heads couldn't believe didn't get drafted. His off the field stuff and interview must have been really bad.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2019 NFL Draft Tracker

Only thing guaranteed after 2nd round is the signing bonus and everything is now set by the CBA so hiring an agent is questionable.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
2019 NFL Draft Tracker

Only thing guaranteed after 2nd round is the signing bonus and everything is now set by the CBA so hiring an agent is questionable.
This is what makes me think we will see a strike like no other. The CBA of the NFL is a complete joke compared to the NBA and MLB. Two hundred million contracts guaranteed are the norm in other sports, but you can be cut anytime in the NFL.
Riches sport with the most under paid players isn't going to fly any longer.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is what makes me think we will see a strike like no other. The CBA of the NFL is a complete joke compared to the NBA and MLB. Two hundred million contracts guaranteed are the norm in other sports, but you can be cut anytime in the NFL.
Riches sport with the most under paid players isn't going to fly any longer.

The veterans were tired of the rookies making all the big money up front without having ever played a down in the NFL, so they voted for the new system to limit rookie contracts and signing bonuses.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Despite some long waits and anxious moments over the past three days, Florida’s underclassmen were a perfect five-for-five in the NFL draft.

All five juniors who declared for the draft were taken in the draft.

After offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor (Jacksonville Jaguars) and outside linebacker/defensive end Jachai Polite (New York Jets) got the call Friday night (rounds 2-3), three more Gators heard their names called Saturday — defensive back Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, linebacker Vosean Joseph and running back Jordan Scarlett.

Gardner-Johnson was selected by the New Orleans Saints with the third pick in the fourth round with the 105 overall selection, while Joseph and Scarlett were scooped up in the fifth round — Joseph by the Buffalo Bills with the 147 overall pick and Scarlett by the Carolina Panthers with the 154 pick.

There were no UF seniors selected, including two former five-star recruits, offensive tackle Martez Ivey and defensive end Cece Jefferson.

As for the underclassmen, five is the UF record for declaring for the NFL draft. And they’ve all made it.

Like Taylor and Polite, the versatile Gardner-Johnson had to wait longer than anticipated to get the call. He was expecting to get drafted in the second or third round Friday, but had to settle for going early in the fourth.

“It’s been a long weekend. Yeah, (I was expecting to go a lot higher),” Gardner-Johnson said. “But it’s all in God’s plan. I’m not worried about it now. I got drafted, my name got called and now it’s time to go out there and put my head down and work.

“I appreciate coach (Sean) Payton and coach AG (secondary coach Aaron Glenn) believing in me, making me their first defensive player taken in the draft. I’m ready to go out there and compete and work.”

Gardner-Johnson has only been to New Orleans once — a few weeks ago to interview with the Saints — and knows only one player on the team (former UF linebacker Alex Anzalone), but he already has a close tie with the man who will be coaching him, Glenn.

Glenn coached Gardner-Johnson at The Opening in Oregon before his senior season at Cocoa High School and the two have remained in touch.

“He coached me out there, and since then he’s always talked to me, making sure I was on track,” Gardner-Johnson said. “My last visit (in New Orleans recently) was with him. I was like, ‘Dang, I could play for you.’ Now, I will be.”

In his three-year career at Florida, Gardner-Johnson showed he could excel at cornerback and both safety positions. He also was stellar on special teams in his freshman and junior seasons.

The Saints secondary is a team strength, led by standout cornerbacks Marshon Lattimore and Eli Apple, but there is only one player listed at strong safety on the current depth chart, Vonn Bell.

“I play both safety positions, and on special teams,” Gardner-Johnson said. “I’m just ready to go out there and compete.

“I’ve got to get ready to come to a team that’s one of the best in the NFL, that’s established, whose coaches are established. I’m proud to be a part of it. I’ve got to come in and live up to that standard.”

Gardner-Johnson said he’s looking forward to going against quarterback Drew Brees and one of the NFL’s most potent passing offenses in practice.

“I’ll get real game experience in practice,” he said. “Then when I get to the games, I can just relax and play my game and fit in the defense.”

Less than two hours after Gardner-Johnson went to the Saints, Joseph was drafted by the Bills, who are looking to improve their depth at linebacker.

Joseph played both inside and outside linebacker for the Gators and likely will start out on the outside at the next level.

“Whatever they want me to play, I’ll be up to the challenge to go out there and do what I can to help the team win,” Joseph said. “I’m somebody who’s going to come in and compete at every level, try to give my all and contribute to the team in any way I can. They’re getting someone who really loves the game and wants to be exceptional in everything he does on and off the field.”

Not long after Joseph was drafted, Scarlett got the call from the Panthers. He will have a chance to back up starting running back Christian McCaffrey.

“I can get those tough yards in between the trenches and take some of the wear and tear off his body, because I’m a very physical runner and I like to run downhill,” Scarlett said. “I’m also a great pass protector and run blocker, too.”

In just two seasons, Scarlett rushed for 1,846 yards for the Gators. He missed the 2017 season after getting suspended for credit card fraud.

“It was just a terrible, long year,” Scarlett said. “I had been playing football since I was six or seven years old and never missed a year. So when I had to miss a year due to suspension, it just hurt me and it kind of made me reflect on how much football really meant to me and who I am. Definitely a learning experience.”

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NOTE: Senior defensive tackle Khairi Clark has signed an undrafted rookie free agent contract with the Jaguars, he announced on Twitter. … Senior offensive lineman Tyler Jordan has been invited to the Atlanta Falcons rookie minicamp for a tryout. … Jefferson has been invited to a Seattle Seahawks rookie mini-camp next week and might have a chance to sign a free-agent contract. … Offensive guard Fred Johnson signed a free-agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The veterans were tired of the rookies making all the big money up front without having ever played a down in the NFL, so they voted for the new system to limit rookie contracts and signing bonuses.

This - it was crazy how many guys that didn't produce were getting more money than players that did and then you had the issue with QBs etc. trying to get bigger contracts than guys picked ahead of them. This was the smartest thing the NFL ever did as it prevented the crazy holdouts also.

Imagine someone like Grier who feels they got slighted going late in the 3rd round. I almost guarantee you that would be a holdout situation in the past or that OSU QB would be demanding the same money as the QB that surprisingly was taken over him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NOTE: Senior defensive tackle Khairi Clark has signed an undrafted rookie free agent contract with the Jaguars, he announced on Twitter. … Senior offensive lineman Tyler Jordan has been invited to the Atlanta Falcons rookie minicamp for a tryout. … Jefferson has been invited to a Seattle Seahawks rookie mini-camp next week and might have a chance to sign a free-agent contract. … Offensive guard Fred Johnson signed a free-agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Who makes it onto an active roster for the season as a free agent you think?

Right now I think Ivey might stick somewhere but doubt Jefferson, Johnson or Jordan do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who makes it onto an active roster for the season as a free agent you think?

Right now I think Ivey might stick somewhere but doubt Jefferson, Johnson or Jordan do.
Luck, contracts (overpaid backups), players getting hurt, how much the position coach likes the kids, these are what matters for those UFAs. If they team knew they had a need at a position they probably would have drafted for it.

Ivey is the one I'd most expect to be on a roster.... as a guard.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I understand this, but the guaranteed contracts the other sports enjoy combined with the CTE issues not to mention other life long ailments former NFL players face I stand by my assertion that we will see a strike. The owners have broke the union the last two agreements, but it will be much tougher to break them this time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes underpaid, even by hockey standards.
Much less baseball and basketball.
No, that means those failing sports are ridiculously overpaid. No mediocre first baseman who doesnt drive in runs is worth 100-200 million and only a fool would sign a guaranteed contract regardless of whether or not employees actually perform.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
No, that means those failing sports are ridiculously overpaid. No mediocre first baseman who doesnt drive in runs is worth 100-200 million and only a fool would sign a guaranteed contract regardless of whether or not employees actually perform.
No, it means NFL owners are grossly under reporting the billions and billions of dollars they are making. I too thought the other sports were on life support, but as of right now the only sport that matters is facing the most challenges, and hoarding the money is not helping.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, it means NFL owners are grossly under reporting the billions and billions of dollars they are making. I too thought the other sports were on life support, but as of right now the only sport that matters is facing the most challenges, and hoarding the money is not helping.
:rolleyes4:

Spare me the poor athlete bullshyt. Kids are millionaires after being a (terrible) scout team QB for three years. I dont care even a little about the "plight" of the NFL players.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking back to the thread a week ago about lack of NFL interest. What am I missing in the translation?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
He cant catch at all. It is why he was rated so low.

"Weaknesses

Suspended for 2017 due to theft by credit card fraud
Missed bowl game as freshman due to misdemeanor marijuana charges
Needs to play faster
Can be too indecisive in initial stages of the run
Vision runs hot and cold
Slow to trigger into downhill burst gear
Cuts play-side runs back into traffic rather than bursting to the edge
Punishing blows catch him cleanly over course of the game
Poor technique as pass-catcher with atrocious drop rate
Bad adjustments to swing passes outside the frame"

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Jordan Scarlett | NFL.com