Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here's a mock class from another source. I'd rather see a Safety added than Beasley (who is 6' 220 already - we have plenty of guys that size). I don't see Whittemore staying at Safety either (he's 6'3 205 right now);

QB: Jalon Jones
RB: Nay'quon Wright
TE: Keon Zipperer
WR: Dionte Marks
WR: Jamarkis Weston
OL: Wadrick Wilson
OL William Harrod
OL: Ethan White
OL: Riley Simmonds
OL: Kamaar Bell
OL: Deyavie Hammond
DL: Derek Hunter
DL: Jaelin Humphries
Rush: Mohamoud Diabate
Rush: Lloyd Summerall
LB: Tyron Hopper
LB: JD Bertrand
LB: Jesiah Pierre
LB/S: Diwun Black
Star: Aaron Beasely
DB: Jaydon Hill
DB: Chester Kimbrough
DB: Kaiir elam
S: Trent Whittemore

So this class says UF adds to the commitments:

QB: no one
RB: Wright
WR: no one
TE: Zipperer
OL: Bell, Hammond
DL: Hunter, Summerall
DB: Beasley, Bertrand, Elam

Such a class would rank about 14/15 in the area UF's class was ranked last year by 247.

Basically the only guesses that seem a bit surprising to me are:

1. Taking 6 OL. I know UF needs OL, but with 6 true frosh someone seemingly always gets lost in the shuffle. I would ratheri 5 this year and one more than the plan next year.

2. Bertrand and Beasley surprise me a bit. I suspect with all the CB prospects some will shake out as safeties.

3. Hunter is also a bit of a surprise to me. The rest are pretty much guys everyone thinks UF has a decent shot at except maybe Hammond.

This is a class that would both give our favorite Donkey lots things to rant about during the off season and fill the roster with a bunch of guys some of who would contribute a lot and since this is football many of whom would contribute little.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015

Such a class would rank about 14/15 in the area UF's class was ranked last year by 247.

1. Taking 6 OL. I know UF needs OL, but with 6 true frosh someone seemingly always gets lost in the shuffle. I would ratheri 5 this year and one more than the plan next year.

2. Bertrand and Beasley surprise me a bit. I suspect with all the CB prospects some will shake out as safeties.

3. Hunter is also a bit of a surprise to me. The rest are pretty much guys everyone thinks UF has a decent shot at except maybe Hammond.

This is a class that would both give our favorite Donkey lots things to rant about during the off season and fill the roster with a bunch of guys some of who would contribute a lot and since this is football many of whom would contribute little.
14/15 is not gonna cut it everyone knows that. With us winning and looking competitive everyone said recruiting would come around. I'm gonna be positive and give him the benefit of the doubt this year because of how bad it's been lately but if we keep winning he has no excuses (including the facilities excuse) not to be too 6-7. And with the way Miami and FSU are playing there is no reason our class shouldn't be higher than theirs this year but again I'll give him the BOTD.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
14/15 is not gonna cut it everyone knows that. With us winning and looking competitive everyone said recruiting would come around. I'm gonna be positive and give him the benefit of the doubt this year because of how bad it's been lately but if we keep winning he has no excuses (including the facilities excuse) not to be too 6-7. And with the way Miami and FSU are playing there is no reason our class shouldn't be higher than theirs this year but again I'll give him the BOTD.

Well let's say UF gets: Wright, Zipperer, Summerall, Bell or Hammond and Elam. That would get UF to 20. So who does everyone want that UF might reasonably get?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Given the success on the field, there is no reason not to be 10-12. At the beginning of the year, the over/under was around 15, so I think the onfield success should result a little higher, but not dramatically. It should help with the leans and it has certainly gotten us some second looks from committed guys. Also keep in mind that the on field success may just result in a bigger class. So we could have some projects that need to RS, and this would be an opportunity for that concerning OL/DT putting some weight on.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Well let's say UF gets: Wright, Zipperer, Summerall, Bell or Hammond and Elam. That would get UF to 20. So who does everyone want that UF might reasonably get?
I'm not sure, I get recruiting had to be difficult this year because of how bad we've been but next year is no excuse. Miami already has 5 of the top 20 in our st. We have to take back our state to compete for top 5 classes. Long way but 247 only has us CB with only 1 of the top 20 players in Fl. That's concerning to me. But it's a long way to 2020.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

That is a 'mock class' I borrowed (not mine). I posted that I'd like to add a DT, WR, and Safety. I don't think we take 6 OLs unless we get some unexpected kids wanting in (and then I'd prefer we process White out).

The fact is, this class likely ends up no higher than 12th. The teams ahead of us are pretty locked in and for us to jump them would mean a few things: 1) they'd be losing a few players and replacing them w/ lower ranked players, 2) we get a few unexpected highly ranked kids (Sanders, for example), 3) we sign more than 25 (giving us more points to move up).

We've discussed this over and over, for those thinking we'll get into the top 10, it's probably going to be a disappointing class for you. The best (imo) we can do is around 12th and hope for as many blue-chip players as possible (4-stars+) - to rebuild our roster (i.e. replacing departing 3-star kids w/ incoming 4-star kids).

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is a 'mock class' I borrowed (not mine). I posted that I'd like to add a DT, WR, and Safety. I don't think we take 6 OLs unless we get some unexpected kids wanting in (and then I'd prefer we process White out).

The fact is, this class likely ends up no higher than 12th. The teams ahead of us are pretty locked in and for us to jump them would mean a few things: 1) they'd be losing a few players and replacing them w/ lower ranked players, 2) we get a few unexpected highly ranked kids (Sanders, for example), 3) we sign more than 25 (giving us more points to move up).

We've discussed this over and over, for those thinking we'll get into the top 10, it's probably going to be a disappointing class for you. The best (imo) we can do is around 12th and hope for as many blue-chip players as possible (4-stars+) - to rebuild our roster (i.e. replacing departing 3-star kids w/ incoming 4-star kids).
I think we get around 10 or 11, based on oversigning. If we beat UGA and are competitive against Bama, then we can revisit, but those are two big IFs. I can see us upsetting UGA, but Bama will be hard to even be competitive with if Tua is healthy

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we get around 10 or 11, based on oversigning. If we beat UGA and are competitive against Bama, then we can revisit, but those are two big IFs. I can see us upsetting UGA, but Bama will be hard to even be competitive with if Tua is healthy

I sure hope we can get into the top 10, but tell me; which teams do we jump? We're at #25 on Rivals (and #22 on 247):

upload_2018-10-15_10-12-46.png

upload_2018-10-15_10-13-22.png

247:

upload_2018-10-15_10-14-55.png

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

That's easy: on the first play from scrimmage, in a coordinated effort, have the entire DL plus three blitzing LBs jump off-sides and CRUSH Tua - then immediately start pointing at the Left Guard saying he moved (have all 11 defenders pointing at the left Guard). There you have it; no more "healthy" Tua!! :D (just kidding, of course...or am I?).

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope we can get into the top 10, but tell me; which teams do we jump? We're at #25 on Rivals (and #22 on 247):

You

247:

I forget all the players I added to the class calculator, but I think the biggest name was Elam. Where I didn’t know who we’d add, I chose a low 4 Star kid. I think the number I came up with was 265, which was good for 11 last year. This year’s rating could shake out different. But I did not put any big names in, it was numbers, I think 27. I take it back, I put Pickering in thinking someone of his caliber could flip. Big thing hurting us is Black falling in the rankings. I would be happy around 12 if we fill our needs with quality guys. The 2020 class will be where this season can pay off

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Probably stating the obvious, but I'm of the opinion that the higher average star ranking holds more weight than numbers. Would much rather have elite players than large numbers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I forget all the players I added to the class calculator, but I think the biggest name was Elam. Where I didn’t know who we’d add, I chose a low 4 Star kid. I think the number I came up with was 265, which was good for 11 last year. This year’s rating could shake out different. But I did not put any big names in, it was numbers, I think 27. I take it back, I put Pickering in thinking someone of his caliber could flip. Big thing hurting us is Black falling in the rankings. I would be happy around 12 if we fill our needs with quality guys. The 2020 class will be where this season can pay off

It looks like the staff is about to make a hard push for the DE from Mississippi, Jaron Handy, who is committed to Auburn. He's a 4-star. Auburn's class is ranked 16th (rivals) and 12th (well ahead of us). Handy is a top-100 player. They also have a 4-star Safety, Zion Puckett, ranked 108th overall (on rivals). We are listed on his page as a team that offered/recruited him before he committed. I'd like to see us make a push for him. Honestly, we "need" another OL, DL, Safety, WR, and CB. If we could add a 4-star at all 5 of those positions I'd be really happy.

Edit: add OL Keiondre Jones to the list of players we could poach from Auburn.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I did understand it was a class someone else put up. That is why I was interested to see that the usual suspects Zipperer, Wright, Bell, Summerall and Elam made up the majority of additions.

Since I am not a star gazer, I am less interested in where this class "ends up," than the players UF is getting. It appears to be heading to be a pretty good group. Were Sanders to sign with UF, he would be a nice get, but he would be another RB and UF has plenty of RBs. So unless Sanders is Emmitt II, then his signing would help UF's ranking more than UF.

Anyway to answer my own question, right now I would like to see UF finish out with: Sanders or Wright at RB, Higgins or TJ Jones at WR, Andrews at FS, and Sorrell at DL. That gets UF to 24. I would like to see another QB maybe the guy committed to Clemson switch to UF as Clemson is playing a frosh this year and UF clearly is still in need of a QB.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably stating the obvious, but I'm of the opinion that the higher average star ranking holds more weight than numbers. Would much rather have elite players than large numbers.
If the numbers are on OL and DT, I have no problem, just process out the irrelevant in two year and try again

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

That is the way I see it too. The 247 method of decaying rankings compresses the rankings making all classes appear close together. Given the uncertainty of college football recruiting, maybe that is the right thing. So as you saw from playing around with the class calculator even adding extra bodies does not do that much for the number.

Really this is not getting into the ugly side of recruiting. Teams with good records may both poach from other classes and bail on kids they have taken commitments from. That can of course improve both ranking and average.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think our recruiting board is by gonna expand quite a bit after the season. We have way too much room and way too little targets. Our on the field success might not equate a ton or recruiting success but I think it'll help some. I know I don't have the evidence but my gut tells me we'll crack the top10. Not top 5 but I think we'll break into the top 10 after the 2nd signing day.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Staff visits this week:

RB N. Wright (I can't spell his first name) - visiting him on Thursday
CB Elam, visiting his game on Friday

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Well, I guess I trust the S&C program a little more nowadays, plus he's ranked in the top 100 - which means he's attended enough camps for the scouts/recruiting sites to rank him as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.