2019 Quarterback Competition

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It'll obviously be an open competition going into the spring, as well it should. Franks delivered yet another gritty performance in spite of missing an obvious touchdown throw and another throw that could have led to one. He's fiery in the mold of TT.

The offense is immediately different with Jones taking the snaps. He's more deliberate in the pocket and even in handing off. And he's a legit runner. He had two or three Michigan defenders so unsure about him running that his pitch to Scarlett left the dude wide effing open for a huge gain.

Loved FF's show of emotion in the final seconds. If I had to guess, however, I'd say it's his to lose and that he'll lose it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If he makes as much improvement next year as he did this one its gonna be his to lose like you said.........and he dont lose.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he makes as much improvement next year as he did this one its gonna be his to lose like you said.........and he dont lose.
I'd be good with that, but let's not forget that EJ benefits from the same coaching.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Franks is serviceable at best. If EJ doesn't beat him out, that will tell us more about EJ than Franks. Franks is tough, but he doesn't see the field well and he's not very accurate. I don't see either of those things changing.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be good with that, but let's not forget that EJ benefits from the same coaching.
But FF benefits from all the playing time. He is a hell of an athlete at times, making some of the best plays you'll see. But he is wildly inconsistent. One play he misses a wide open guy, next play he's threading the needle with an amazing strike. I dunno what's gonna happen. I think the competition for the job is gonna be fierce. I also think Mullen won't have any qualms about playing the best player.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It'll obviously be an open competition going into the spring, as well it should. Franks delivered yet another gritty performance in spite of missing an obvious touchdown throw and another throw that could have led to one. He's fiery in the mold of TT.

The offense is immediately different with Jones taking the snaps. He's more deliberate in the pocket and even in handing off. And he's a legit runner. He had two or three Michigan defenders so unsure about him running that his pitch to Scarlett left the dude wide effing open for a huge gain.

Loved FF's show of emotion in the final seconds. If I had to guess, however, I'd say it's his to lose and that he'll lose it.

I am grateful for what Franks did this year and my hat is off to him for his relentless effort and vast improvement. I think Mullen did wonders with him but I think Jones may be the answer to take us to the next level. We shall see. Anything can happen. He deserves a lot of credit for his performance this year though. He gave us his all.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There won’t be a legit competition. Mullenz has his guy and is loyal to older players. Franks will be the starter till he has a lousy game and perhaps gets benched again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EJ has shown absolutely not a single play this year that’s says he will beat out Franks next year. Zero. Maybe he will.
That's similar to the criticism leveled at Fields. Neither has been allowed much playing time, and yet ...

12-of-16, 124 yards, two TDs, no picks, a 181.9 rating. I can pretty much guarantee the playbook wasn't opened up either.

I don't know that I would bet against Jones' upside relative to Franks'.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There won’t be a legit competition. Mullenz has his guy and is loyal to older players. Franks will be the starter till he has a lousy game and perhaps gets benched again.
Don't agree at all. Jones is the guy Mullen brought in, one he obviously thinks fits his system. He's going to give EJ every opportunity. I've NEVER gotten the impression that Franks is "his guy". Not at all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What lousy game has he had since he was benched against Mizzu?
I'm not about to insert myself into a political conundrum on a day when he led us to an important bowl win.

I respect and appreciate his contribution. He's played a major role in our resurgence. But he frequently goes into the tank for a quarter or so. Inconsistency is his Achilles' heel. You know it as well as I do.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
For the first time in years, we have a coach we can trust to make the call. What a great place to be.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
That's similar to the criticism leveled at Fields. Neither has been allowed much playing time, and yet ...

12-of-16, 124 yards, two TDs, no picks, a 181.9 rating. I can pretty much guarantee the playbook wasn't opened up either.

I don't know that I would bet against Jones' upside relative to Franks'.

Idaho

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't doubt EJ could be a great QB here, but he hasn't done a single thing in any meaningful game time to warrant a starting job next year. Some of you slapdicks were foaming at the mouth over Treon Harris when he threw a couple TD bombs against Eastern Michigan his first game. And are we really saying EJ is better because he pitched the ball on a designed play and it gained a lot of yards? I could find DOZENS of examples of that from Franks this year. :rolleyes3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.