2019 Quarterback Competition

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any reason not to include the final 4 games?...This would have been reflective through the end of the Mizzou game, week 10.....
I couldn't find anything more recent, Crete.

It's obvious there's widespread dissent on the subject of Franks, which is fine. We're hopefully here to have intelligent and objective discussion over blind grandstanding.

I'll be as happy as the rest of you if he remains the starter. I'm speculating more on Jones' improvement and natural ability than on Franks when I say I doubt it happens.

Improvement as a passer tends not to be linear. I believe FF has achieved the brunt of the improvement we're going to see.

If not? Cool. We all win.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think it's that easy. He's not an accurate passer, and it's pretty rare to see inaccurate passers become accurate ones, no matter how much they practice.
Actually think he was more accurate this year than last. And he makes extremely accurate throws that very few QBs could make make. But I still am of the opinion that he can get the timing figured out on the long downfield passes and that will make a YUGE difference.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No one is 50-60% everywhere and higher on short passes. The elite guys are 60ish % combined. The guys that throw higher than that are Bammer QBs or sideways offenses throwing 80% screens.
Yeah. I'm looking at how you get to 60% combined. You could be 60% everywhere (unlikely) or higher on short (easier) passes and lower on more difficult passes.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
...It's obvious there's widespread dissent on the subject of Franks, which is fine. We're hopefully here to have intelligent and objective discussion over blind grandstanding...
Misunderstood instructions, thought we were here to get to a million posts :dunno:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's something that I just realized and wonder if it had anything to do with FF marked improvement in the last 4 games....Grimes and Jefferson pretty much took over at the receiver positions at that point of the season. Prior to that we were seeing a lot more Swain and Hammond....hhhmmmm, better receivers could help= better QB, right?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I don't think it's that easy. He's not an accurate passer, and it's pretty rare to see inaccurate passers become accurate ones, no matter how much they practice.
Frank's may be an anomaly, in that, from what I've read, he hasn't gotten any real coaching, ever, until this past year. If that's the case, his game may drastically improve in every respect over the next couple of years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here's something that I just realized and wonder if it had anything to do with FF marked improvement in the last 4 games....Grimes and Jefferson pretty much took over at the receiver positions at that point of the season. Prior to that we were seeing a lot more Swain and Hammond....hhhmmmm, better receivers could help= better QB, right?
We need to find some 7-foot receivers for Franks so they'll have a chance to catch some downfield throws.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
If FF completed just 5 more of his attempts over 13 games he would be at 60%. That’s great progress. 5.

I also note the 10 week analysis and suggest the full season analysis would favor more improvement for FF.

We have talked a lot about how much FF confidence improved but I note how much DM’s confidence in FF improved as the season progressed especially in the bowl game with multiple shots and completions vertically downfield.

Most of the criticism of FF abilities are somewhat valid but have to be balanced by what his starting point was and appreciate the progress. I trust DM when he said FF would not truly be ready before 2019.

The expectations around here are comical and unfair. We’ve seen HOF’ers Brady and Elway and Heisman winning Gator legend Danny effing Wuerfel used as comparisons. One major area of improvement is his ability to throw away passes instead of taking a sack or running out of bounds. He threw 4 away against Michigan so he was really 13-19.....70%! Helluva game.

Can we win a championship with him? Absolutely! Will he need a championship team around him to do so? Absolutely!

I’m a big EJ fan and a bigger JJ fan. If either of them can unseat FF then we are in a super place because DM is making a real QB out of FF. I thing if FF wins the job again he will have a really good season probably 30/3000.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Frank's may be an anomaly, in that, from what I've read, he hasn't gotten any real coaching, ever, until this past year. If that's the case, his game may drastically improve in every respect over the next couple of years.
Of course we all know Baker Mayfield is the ONLY QB who ever improved after their freshmen season, right? Everyone else is either a Freshmen phenom or a complete bust...:lol:

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Despite the improvements he's made this year, and will make in the off season it won't be nearly enough for the drunk SOB two rows behind me in the swamp.

I think Frank's will definitely put his name in for evaluation for the draft, and wouldn't be shocked if he thought enough of himself to leave.

OMG, I’d love to see the feedback he gets from the NFL: “Nope.” “Don’t bother.” “Try the CFL, but still no chance.” “At quarterback? Wait, am I being plunked? Is Candid Camera coming back” “We project him as scoring less than zero on the Wonderlic test.”

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Let's face it, we won the 2006 title on defense.

I would kinda argue that all 3 of our Natty's are because of defense, then STs and then offense. I say that without looking up the stats but pretty sure the 96, 06 and 08 defenses were tops.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Franks is the starter next year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see EJ transfer.

Perhaps, EJ, as well as QBs to follow, will value what QB coaching Mullen offers, value it enough to want to stay for the max-rational # of seasons. This might be a new improved Mullen that can make UF a magnet for top QB recruits
Our waiting will supplant all predictables.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OMG, I’d love to see the feedback he gets from the NFL: “Nope.” “Don’t bother.” “Try the CFL, but still no chance.” “At quarterback? Wait, am I being plunked? Is Candid Camera coming back” “We project him as scoring less than zero on the Wonderlic test.”
'Fess up. Are you Bowl?

If so, I just wanted to remind you that I am your biggest fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.