2019 Quarterback Competition

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Is size really that important? The guy who just won the Heisman is about 4 feet tall.
I think in DM's offense that it does help. And in the SEC, it's tough to make it through an entire season at QB if you don't have some size and the durability that comes with it. I may be underestimating EJ's physicality, but to me, he looks a little small to run the RPO in the SEC. Don't forget that TT was stouter than FF, and he took a lot of big hits in this exact same offense. I just don't know if a 6'2" 200 Lb. QB can stand up to that grind, week in and week out.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would kinda argue that all 3 of our Natty's are because of defense, then STs and then offense. I say that without looking up the stats but pretty sure the 96, 06 and 08 defenses were tops.
You certainly missed the point. The 2006 team struggled on offense, the 2008 team did not.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a tid-bit, going back to our QB hey-days 2007 & 2008:
1) Heisman Tebow = 14.1 yds per completion: of course Tim was a smash-mouth QB, not a "pure" passer.(2007)
2) Heisman Bradford, the pro-passer's dream = 14.2 ypc (2008)
3) 2018, Franks = 13.0 ypc

To get those averages all those QBs throw similar distances of long pass completions. I look forward to Franks bringing great Gator success next year.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I would kinda argue that all 3 of our Natty's are because of defense, then STs and then offense. I say that without looking up the stats but pretty sure the 96, 06 and 08 defenses were tops.

You’re right all 3 defenses were excellent. I’d say in 2006 was the defense notably better than the offense. The other two were great & great. Thanks for nudging me to look it up!

1996: #14 total defense, #1 scoring offense, #2 total offense

2006: #6 team defense, #24 team offense

2008: #4 team offense, #4 team defense

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Watching Dwayne Haskins pick apart Washington's secondary in the Rose Bowl. Good example of a kid who is very comfortable in the pocket and knows where every receiver is.

Meyer's having fun in his finale.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a tid-bit, going back to our QB hey-days 2007 & 2008:
1) Heisman Tebow = 14.1 yds per completion: of course Tim was a smash-mouth QB, not a "pure" passer.(2007)
2) Heisman Bradford, the pro-passer's dream = 14.2 ypc (2008)
3) 2018, Franks = 13.0 ypc

To get those averages all those QBs throw similar distances of long pass completions. I look forward to Franks bringing great Gator success next year.
No. It doesnt show that all QB throw similar distance at all. It shows how many yards were gained per pass and tells you nothing about how far the ball went. You think Franks yards on those several well blocked tunnel screens (20 yards ave? just guessing) were long passes? The ball didnt even cross scrimmage.

You are smarter than this.

If you want to arrive at how far the ball was thrown then you need to look at passing yards minus yards after catch.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
No. It doesnt show that all QB throw similar distance at all. It shows how many yards were gained per pass and tells you nothing about how far the ball went. You think Franks yards on those several well blocked tunnel screens (20 yards ave? just guessing) were long passes? The ball didnt even cross scrimmage.

If you want to arrive at how far the ball was thrown then you need to look at passing yards minus yards after catch.

Now if Franks hits any of those long routes that he just missed (still convinced Jefferson could have snagged a few by laying out, but too many overthrows in general), the ypc goes up a bit.

The point does still stand and this is what I hated when people a few years back would be defending the Driskelin’. A good portion of his yards were horizontal and people making a few cuts. You can see when QB’s throw in ways that allow YAC and when the YAC has little to do with the QB.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Frank's will start the season the starter, EJ will have packages. I think thru the year he will show more and more, maybe even get a start or two. But I doubt he takes the job full time untill his redshirt soph year.

Frank's is not great, but he is good. And you don't want to kill a qb's confidence that young.

All I want is the best player and I trust Mullen to figure that out for us like he did this past season.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Are you some kinda yardage snob? Frankly put (yes, pun intended), after the last decade ... I will take all those 40 yd tunnel screens as long as they keep working.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One thing, Franks TD passes are usually 0-yac, as he rifles them into tight windows. That's good.
Many out-west QBs have TD passes where the back or WR scores by breaking loose, running 20, 30, 40, 50.
Us spectators get to observe all kinds of expansion of skills in 2019:
1) Franks gets completion % up. sees field better, runs with power.
2) We get Davis back gashing gains, assaulting defenses.
3) Perrine auditions well for NFL.
4) Copeland surprises us and the SEC.
5) Damien Pierce gets taken seriously.
6) Townsend still booming 'em as well as inside the 15.
7) Along with all those worrisome areas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now if Franks hits any of those long routes that he just missed (still convinced Jefferson could have snagged a few by laying out
I heard Spurrier talking about this long ago and he said it is faster to run through the ball, just like running through the base in baseball. He said the only exception was if the ball was going to be too low to get to otherwise.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you some kinda yardage snob? Frankly put (yes, pun intended), after the last decade ... I will take all those 40 yd tunnel screens as long as they keep working.
No, just a reality guru.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb