Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They are probably more of a dumpster fire than any team in the SEC and have been since mid 2000s. Hell a win over Vandy is a rarity now.

And yet..... they can out recruit us.

Yep. Pruitt is a great recruiter and career coordinator, which means he’ll load up on talent, but won’t end well.

Mullen, imo, is a really good head coach, maybe great. But if he doesn’t surround himself with elite recruiters, to give himself the necessary talent, his tenure won’t end well either.

I’m not a fan of the recruiter-turned-head-coach idea. That got us Muschamp. But I also don’t know how critical a RB/Safeties/LB, etc. coach is with regards to player teaching and development. Guys like Wright, Nelson and Spikes were going to be great regardless of their position coach. They were just ultra talented players. Surprise success stories in the NFL like Kamara bear that out. He may as well have skipped college because none of that had a thing to do with his current performance.

So while I want a legit HC who understands the X’s and O’s of a game plan, I think we need recruiter-first guys everywhere else. The rest will sort itself out.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Yep. Pruitt is a great recruiter and career coordinator, which means he’ll load up on talent, but won’t end well.

Mullen, imo, is a really good head coach, maybe great. But if he doesn’t surround himself with elite recruiters, to give himself the necessary talent, his tenure won’t end well either.

I’m not a fan of the recruiter-turned-head-coach idea. That got us Muschamp. But I also don’t know how critical a RB/Safeties/LB, etc. coach is with regards to player teaching and development. Guys like Wright, Nelson and Spikes were going to be great regardless of their position coach. They were just ultra talented players. Surprise success stories in the NFL like Kamara bear that out. He may as well have skipped college because none of that had a thing to do with his current performance.

So while I want a legit HC who understands the X’s and O’s of a game plan, I think we need recruiter-first guys everywhere else. The rest will sort itself out.
Kamara wasn't a surprise. Jones was an idiot anyone who watched kamara at UT knew kamara was a stud.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Kamara wasn't a surprise. Jones was an idiot anyone who watched kamara at UT knew kamara was a stud.

Your alleged nole ties, or at least anti-UF stance on virtually everything, isn’t nearly as annoying as your insistence on trying to debate minor details of my posts.

My entire point was that guys like Kamara were studs all along and that coaching, whether as a backup at Alabama or as a starter at ut, had nothing to do with what he’s become. He was going to be great, just likes Spikes and many other 4-5* recruits.

And ftr, Kamara was a 3rd round pick, and the 5th back taken. His production is absolutely a surprise to every single NFL exec that picked 75 players in front of him. Choose better debates.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Your alleged nole ties, or at least anti-UF stance on virtually everything, isn’t nearly as annoying as your insistence on trying to debate minor details of my posts.

My entire point was that guys like Kamara were studs all along and that coaching, whether as a backup at Alabama or as a starter at ut, had nothing to do with what he’s become. He was going to be great, just likes Spikes and many other 4-5* recruits.

And ftr, Kamara was a 3rd round pick, and the 5th back taken. His production is absolutely a surprise to every single NFL exec that picked 75 players in front of him. Choose better debates.
Kamara was the # 1 APB and #42 recruit in the nation. No exec was surprised. I know you're fos when you bring out the you're a.
Nole crap. I'm not anti UF. Im anti paying mediocre coaches millions. Great players need great coaches and vice versa.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Kamara was the # 1 APB and #42 recruit in the nation. No exec was surprised. I know you're fos when you bring out the you're a.
Nole crap. I'm not anti UF. Im anti paying mediocre coaches millions. Great players need great coaches and vice versa.

Once again, where did I suggest anything otherwise? In fact, his sheer talent was the crux of my argument. He didn't receive, or need, any special coaching at the collegiate level. He was going to eventually shine because he's just that good of a player.

His position in the draft--which was never my point in the first place--isn't really debatable. You can get into semantics regarding whether or not NFL execs were "surprised". But it doesn't change the fact that he was taken in the 3rd round and was the 5th RB, even behind Joe Mixon who was bogged down with character concerns.

But really none of that matters. My original point was that at this stage, we need serious recruiters, even if that means they're not the best position coach. Get the talent level back up, and the rest will take care of itself. As I said, you take some small portion of my post, and insist on taking a nonstarter argument to the mat, despite empirical evidence to the contrary.

And as for your not wanting to pay mediocre coaches millions, at this point last year you were pining over a guy with a sub .500 record(that's less than mediocre, just fyi), who's currently a year into a 6 year 30 million dollar deal. So this must be a new leaf for you.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016

Right here

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Once again, where did I suggest anything otherwise? In fact, his sheer talent was the crux of my argument. He didn't receive, or need, any special coaching at the collegiate level. He was going to eventually shine because he's just that good of a player.

His position in the draft--which was never my point in the first place--isn't really debatable. You can get into semantics regarding whether or not NFL execs were "surprised". But it doesn't change the fact that he was taken in the 3rd round and was the 5th RB, even behind Joe Mixon who was bogged down with character concerns.

But really none of that matters. My original point was that at this stage, we need serious recruiters, even if that means they're not the best position coach. Get the talent level back up, and the rest will take care of itself. As I said, you take some small portion of my post, and insist on taking a nonstarter argument to the mat, despite empirical evidence to the contrary.

And as for your not wanting to pay mediocre coaches millions, at this point last year you were pining over a guy with a sub .500 record(that's less than mediocre, just fyi), who's currently a year into a 6 year 30 million dollar deal. So this must be a new leaf for you.

Man you're butthurt. Tagfart wouldn't have cost as much as Mullen and out recruiting would be fine. Not #17 in the nation.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Man you're butthurt. Tagfart wouldn't have cost as much as Mullen and out recruiting would be fine. Not #17 in the nation.
Tagelwain makes Butters look competent. If he could lose 7 games with the #3 roster in the country, I dont even know how many he would lose with ours. Probably 10+.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Right here

Correct. Look at the entire quote. He was a stud that could've skipped any "coaching/development" in college and still would be the same player. Never knocked or debated his recruiting status. Quite the opposite. I'm not sure how to explain this any clearer.

And again, every single NFL exec passed--at least once--on a player who's currently a top 5 RB in the league. Yes, they all saw what he was and just chose to draft less valuable players.

I'm not sure which part makes you seem like more of a nole...your infatuation with Taggart or the fact that you clearly couldn't pass a 10th grade reading comprehension class.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Bull crap. He would've been a 1st rd pick if Jones used him instead of Hurd. How many talented players have come through here and not been coached only to land in better places?

Driskel
Brissett
Murphy
Gillislee
Patton

Etc

Hell look what Mullen has done with Franks

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bull crap. He would've been a 1st rd pick if Jones used him instead of Hurd. How many talented players have come through here and not been coached only to land in better places?

Driskel
Brissett
Murphy
Gillislee
Patton

Etc

Hell look what Mullen has done with Franks

Once again, the communication process has broken down. You're making my point, both in that talent rises to the top, and in that Kamara's performance in the NFL has been better than his draft placement would suggest. Exactly what I said...5 posts ago.

In any event, the Kamara debate is completely irrelevant. It was a side note to the point that talent > position coaching. What Jones did or did not do, and where a guy like Kamara should've been drafted is moot. He was going to be great regardless of where he went to school and/or who his RB's coach was.

As for all the names you posted, they all share a common theme. They played under a clueless HC(also something I mentioned not wanting in my original post). The best QB coach in the world wasn't going to make Driskel or Brissett great playing in WM's overall system. Gillislee may have been drafted higher if he'd been used more extensively in his first three years, but I don't think his NFL success is due to what he learned from the 3 different OC's, or more specifically the 4 RB coaches he had while at UF.

I'm not saying position coaching has no importance. But if I had to choose between a great recruiter who is a modest coach, or a great coach that can barely recruit, I'll take the first. That was, and remains my initial point. I could not care any less whether you subscribe to that thinking as well, and have no desire to continue this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.