Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Urbs had a hell of an '06 class. The rest weren't anything to write home about. He recruited a boat load of highly rated, Percy Harvin wannabes.
Huh? The 07 class gave us Hernandez, major Wright, Joe Haden, Cam, the pounceys, Ahmad black, etc
The 08 class gave us hill, janoris, demps, etc. It had a bunch of busts.

09 gave us jelani, Nixon, bostic, reed, Gillislee, hallapio, etc

10 gave us 10 future NFL players. To say these classes brought nothing is absurd. Did it have missed yes and closer towards the end Meyer was lost .

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Since the rumors mostly seem to be, that we’ll have another disappointing signing day Wednesday. Would Mullen make any staff changes before February signing day or after?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Did you turdmuffins really think I didn't know where Zook was working? I still have to look at his dumb face during Packer games.

Back to my point, recruiting to UF right after Spurrier left was one of the easiest gigs in the entire country. There are dozens upon dozens of coaches that could have recruited as good or better than Zook during that time frame.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
There's a lot of doom and gloom in this thread(from myself included). Is there any good news? Rivals shows 5* DB Chris Steele as a probable Gator commit. Has that changed?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Did you turdmuffins really think I didn't know where Zook was working? I still have to look at his dumb face during Packer games.

Back to my point, recruiting to UF right after Spurrier left was one of the easiest gigs in the entire country. There are dozens upon dozens of coaches that could have recruited as good or better than Zook during that time frame.

Zook is one reason we had those 95 and 96 players that actually matched FSU in talent level. FSU always beat us in recruiting some when Zook wasn't under Spurrier if I remember correctly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just fell to # 23 behind South Carolina with the same number of recruits. Looking more like a Butters type #15 class will be our fate possibly.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
No that guy is urban Meyer.

Meyer said after the 2016 NC win that Ron Zook recruited 20 of the 22 starters on that team.

Zook was a very average D1 coach, but he was in a league of his own as a recruiter. Meyer is a great recruiter as well, but he wasn't nearly as sleazy as Meyer.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Zook wasn't a great recruiter, he was nothing more than a time-slot hit; the UF brand was huge at that time because of Spurrier. If Zook was our head coach now, he wouldn't be faring any better than Mullen.

Ron Zook - Wikipedia

"Following the Gators' victory over Ohio State in the 2007 BCS National Championship Game, Urban Meyer praised Zook for recruiting the large class of seniors who played in the game. Twenty-two of the 24 starters were recruited to Florida by Zook."

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Gotta agree with Ox here. Bring in Zook today and see how great he recruits. He did pretty good back then but I wouldn't bet on that today.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Zook is one reason we had those 95 and 96 players that actually matched FSU in talent level. FSU always beat us in recruiting some when Zook wasn't under Spurrier if I remember correctly.
You are a clown. 50 other coaches could have recruited those players at that time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You remember poorly. The only top class SOS ever received was 98 or 99 ("Berlin Wall" class) and the second best was 97.

Zooklove was created by people parroting what Fooley said. He truly believed HBC and CUM were just guys who were lucky enough to be handed championships by Ole Zookie.

HBC and CUM (multiple for CUM) both landed top classes without the Zookie. Zookie never landed a #1 class as hbc or as an assistant.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You remember poorly. The only top class SOS ever received was 98 or 99 ("Berlin Wall" class) and the second best was 97.

Zooklove was created by people parroting what Fooley said. He truly believed HBC and CUM were just guys who were lucky enough to be handed championships by Ole Zookie.

HBC and CUM (multiple for CUM) both landed top classes without the Zookie. Zookie never landed a #1 class as hbc or as an assistant.

I remember reading an article that made a real good case those 95 and 96 starters were about the only time we really matched FSU in talent. It showed recruiting stuff from the 2 years that made up most of the starters.

You may be right on that Berlin class (2000) and it was only up to that point. I will have to see if that old article is still around.

Edit: Only one I could find and it went back to 2000 was the 24/7 recruiting rankings listing and it had us # 2 over # 3 FSU but they had a few more 5 stars and we had quite a few more players. Tenn was listed # 1 that year.

As far as articles on older classes they seem almost impossible to find now where they tell who had the most parade All- American and all state players etc.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
'Ol Bushmaster and Fever are really stoking their Zook love about now, like he was the only coach who could have stockpiled talent at UF. Puh-leeze.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Out of curiosity, how many of zOoK recruits started on the 2006 team?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ron Zook - Wikipedia

"Following the Gators' victory over Ohio State in the 2007 BCS National Championship Game, Urban Meyer praised Zook for recruiting the large class of seniors who played in the game. Twenty-two of the 24 starters were recruited to Florida by Zook."

Do you realize how misleading that stat can be? It doesn't say they were "signed" by Zook, just that they were recruited by him. Considering recruiting starts in some cases as early as 9th-10th grade, he probably recruited half of the 2007 class as well. No one is saying that Zook couldn't recruit. But he was a volume guy that had some very unbalanced classes and left some serious roster holes. I notice it doesn't mention the fact that we were forced to start a grad transfer from Utah and a converted 5th string WR at Corner because of Zook's unbalanced recruiting.

And in the BCS game, of course the lion's share of players were his. But just to put that season into perspective, we don't win the ut game without James, Tebow and RFN. We likely don't win the Lsu game without Smith, Coop, RFN and Tebow. And we don't win the the SECC and/or NC games without Tebow, Harvin, and RFN. All of those names have one thing in common. They were signed by Meyer, not Zook.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Link?
Law Donkey apparently is the only one in the world who has access to 90's recruiting rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.