2019 Roster

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of talk moving forward will be about next year. So why not look at the roster and see how we sit. Class will be as of 2019.

QB – Franks (RJR), Trask (RJR), Jones (SO?), Jones (FR)

If Jones takes over for Franks in the off season, I would expect Franks to transfer. I think a lot of that will depend on how much PT Jones gets this season and how well he responds to coaching. EJ could be a SO or a RSFR, but I expect that his RS is about to get burned.

Trask is going nowhere and will be a backup. Jalon Jones should be getting plenty of reps to get him ready to be the backup. Toney and Jayin Jackson can be emergency backups.

Even if Franks stays, this will be an improved group (not saying a lot). I think there is a good chance that Mullen gives Franks the reigns again, but plays EJ much more next year, but so much will depend on how EJ responds this year and the offseason.

RB – Scarlett (RSSR), Perine (SR), Davis (Jr), Pierce (SO), Clement (SO)

So the big question is whether of not Scarlett and Perine stay, and honestly there is no reason for either to stay. That would leave injury prone Davis, Pierce, and Clement as an unknown. We need a RB commit pretty bad in this class. Maybe two. Pierce and Davis have enough talent, Clement is an unknown. Lemons just couldn’t see 5 inches past his face.

WR – Jefferson (RSSR), Hammond (SR), Swain (SR), Cleveland (SR), Toney (RSJR), Wells (RSJR), Green (JR), Grimes (JR), Copeland (RSFR), Jaylin Jackson (RSFR), Marks (FR), Weston (FR)

I don’t expect any draft declarations, but you never know. I could see a transfer or two, but the big news is no Dre Massey, unless he gets a medical RS, which I haven’t seen discussion. The big concern here is what happens in 2020? I think we need one more legit WR in this class. Marks may be a sleeper, but Weston is a complete unknown. Will be a team strength in 2019.

TE – Krull (RSJR), Gamble (RSSO), Pitts (SO), Lang (RSFR)

We shoudn’t be any worse off next year. Have to wonder where Lang will end up. Probably need a TE in this class. Not sure if any of these guys can go inline and block. I think Gamble is a willing blocking, but not sure about size.

OL – Taylor (SR), Banks (RSSR), McCoy (RSSR), Buchanan (RSSR), Forsythe (RSJR), Heggie (RSJR), Delance (RSJR), TJ Moore (RSSO), Gouraige (RSFR), Bleich (RSFR), McDowell (RSFR), Harrod (FR), Simonds (FR), White (FR), Wilson (FR)

One of the more controversial groups heading into next season. A lot will be lost to graduation, and Taylor may decide to bolt for the NFL. Nothing about this OL makes me feel good right now. If Taylor stays, then you return him and Buchanan on the line, and Buchanan hasn’t exactly been a prize. Hopefully Heggie gets and stay healthy. At that point you hope that Delance and Moore are physically ready to step up. I really hope that Bleich can be ready skill wise, since he already appears ready physically. Good news is that numbers look to be up. Expect at least one more in this class and possibly a transfer. This is a young group that needs to hit the weights hard.

DL – Ancrum (RSSR), Shuler (RSSR), Zuniga (RSSR), Dunlap (SR), Clayton (SR), Polite (SR), Conliffe (JR), Slaton (JR), Campbell (JR), Carter (RSSO), Langham (RSFR), Diabate (FR), Humphries (FR)

Another controversial group. Will Polite and/or Zuniga declare? Will Clayton stay (does it matter)? Assuming Polite and Zuniga leave, we should have a competent DL, but anything beyond that will require some guys to step up. This class needs a lot more upfront before signing day.

LB – Johnson (RSSR), Jackson (RSSR), Reese (SR), Moon (RSJR), Joseph (JR), Brunson (RSSO), Smith (RSSO), Houston (RSSO), Miller (RSSO), Chatfield (RSFR), Black (FR), Hopper (FR), Pierre (FR)

No one is lost to graduation, take that how you will. We should see some improvement here for no other reason than physical development and a year in the system. We have some talented young guys that I hope can see the field. Some upperclassman have already hit their ceiling. There is there possibility that young guys could step up and take some roles. Class is pretty well filled out, but some discussion if we’ll take another.

DB – Gardner (SR), Taylor (SR), Lenton (RSJR), Davis (JR), Stiner (JR), Stewart (JR), Henderson (JR), Wilson (JR), Edwards (JR), McWilliams (RSJR), Dean (SO), Burney (SO), Reese (RSFR), Huggins (RSFR), Whittemore (FR), Kimborough (FR), Hill (FR)

Potentially a great unit next year. Gardner could leave earlier which would create a big void. We will return two of the best CB’s in college football. Stewart has been great recently at S. If Dean can make the transition to S, that would be huge. I think Burney will be able to contribute and Davis is a capable backup. I’m not really sure why Reese is listed at DB, but he must have some great athleticism or a hybrid position?

I’d like to see another quality CB in this class a S wouldn’t hurt. As much talent as we’ll have on the one’s, there is a lot of waste here too.

ST – McPherson (SO), Townsend (RSSR)

Should be one of the best kicking tandems in college football.

Overall, Mullen is having to rebuild the talent on this roster. We need consistent Top 10 classes just so we can start processing guys out. Top 7 classes should be required for next year and beyond. Probably just too late this year unless we can pull Sanders, Thibodeaux and Steele.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Great summary. Thanks for the effort. I thought we would be worse off than this, so this is not as bad as it seemed.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Van Jefferson might go just due to not getting many catches due to this offense and Franks if he is half way convinced he gets drafted.

This may be one of those times the 2nd season is tougher than the transition year due to the schedule and Mullen's players not really taking over mostly until his 3rd season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perine is easily the best back on this team. There's rarely a play where he doesn't get something.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good thread @alcoholica

IMO:

- Scarlett is gone. Perine stays.
- Van Jefferson is gone. Wells needs to move to DB or transfer.
- Polite is gone. Clayton stays (and I really hope he does, he would be in the top 4 rotation if he returns).
- I don't care if any of the LB's leave or stay. Not a single standout in that group (some solid players, but none that are spectacular/All-SEC types - maybe a 3rd teamer).

This team needs to sign 4 CB's in this class. And Law needs to STFU about how easy it is to convert a player to DB.

We may see a grad transfer OL (Reese from Miss State?).

We need play makers in the secondary (hopefully the two CBs are healthy next year).

I'm concerned w/ Slaton being disgruntled about PT. What the hell happened to him? He went from starting the first two games to completely disappearing. The good thing about him, if he works hard he will stay all 4 years - and very likely be a starter his senior year. Conliffe needs to improve as well.

I think we see at least 2 grad transfer join the team - players who will contribute and/or start (not a Mason Halter type though).

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like BMF , I believe Perine will stay. He has the chance to be a feature back next year.
Polite and Zuniga are probably both gone. Chauncey too in my opinion. I'd like to see Langham
and Chatfield get some PT the last couple of games to get their feet wet. We will be counting
on them next season.I'd be surprised if Clayton returns.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Like BMF , I believe Perine will stay. He has the chance to be a feature back next year.
Polite and Zuniga are probably both gone. Chauncey too in my opinion. I'd like to see Langham
and Chatfield get some PT the last couple of games to get their feet wet. We will be counting
on them next season.I'd be surprised if Clayton returns.
Came here to say this. Chatfield and Langham will play plenty next year. No chance Summerall plays, and there’s a slim chance we get Thibodeaux who is an instant impact player.

Wilson and Hendo, with Dean/Steele/Elam in a rotation will be huge. CGJ is getting first round grades in the draft already so he’s gone. Shawn Davis is improving and I’m not sure we ever see Edwards play meaningful football here. Burney and Huggins arr very talented too and should provide a push there at safety. Huggins had an INT in the first game IIRC

Not even worried about OL with the way Hevesy has improved this mediocre unit. They were physical and held their own against Georgia, LSU, and MSU. Gouraige and Bleich will be good additions next year.

Copeland is the threat I think we want with toney. Toney makes so many outrageous cuts at the worst possible times. Idk how many first downs he juked his way out of gaining. He with Grimes and I’d assume Swain and Hammond are back is a good core to build confidence in with Jones.

Unless jones completely stinks up the joint, I don’t believe for 1 second Mullen rolls Franks out as a starter game 1.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Polite is being projected as a possible first round pick. He's gone without question.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Is Copeland healthy now? Only 4 games left, we could play him in all and still redshirt him. Want to see the ball in his hands.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Great job here Ltraz. Couldn't agree more regarding Lang moving to the other side of the ball, and Chatfield being a very important piece for 19' and beyond. I look for him and Langham to get some snaps late in the year. I think AC played in the opener, but i'm not sure on Langham. ML and Carter I see being the SDE next season. I believe Dean will be the nickel next year if we are able to close with Steele and/or Elam .
Though that is yet to be determined of course. Van is a father now, so I imagine if he has even modest draft projections he will be gone.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Agree on the WR issue. I posted in the recruiting thread about our WR recruiting (why would a top WR want to play in this offense? There are so many other schools throwing the ball downfield. Jefferson didn't have one catch vs. UGA). Maybe w/ EJ having a full year in the system he'd be better at running the O (and passing more)? Who knows? but this offense leaves a lot to be desired if you're a top WR.

There's no doubt Lang is moving to DL. I think that was the plan all along. Kind of like letting Joe Cohen play RB for a year....he was destined for the DL.

I agree w/ Burney and Reese. I've said this all along: 220 pound HS "Safety" doesn't play Safety in college. That's why I'm not high on us trying to flip the kid from Tennessee's class (Aaron Beasley, a 6'1 220lb safety). Would rather see a true HS safety signed (6'1 200).

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Chauncey would be a fool to stay. I hope he does, but he’d be foolish to.

Thank fvk Cyontai Lewis is a senior.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chauncey would be a fool to stay. I hope he does, but he’d be foolish to
Silly talk.

If he stays he may actually win something. Join those champion Gators before him. Not just leave with all those others from this decade that never won a dman thing.

If he goes to the NFL he has almost no chance. And they don't have the same cameraderie anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree w/ Burney and Reese. I've said this all along: 220 pound HS "Safety" doesn't play Safety in college. That's why I'm not high on us trying to flip the kid from Tennessee's class (Aaron Beasley, a 6'1 220lb safety). Would rather see a true HS safety signed (6'1 200).
First LSU and Bammer have had several 210-220 safeties.

Second, star isnt really a safety and we need some azz in the box desperately.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
First LSU and Bammer have had several 210-220 safeties.

Second, star isnt really a safety and we need some azz in the box desperately.

Law, totally agree w/ you. I'd love to see us w/ a 210-220 guy. But, these kids are coming out of HS at 220. We all know these kids put on a ton of weight/size once they get into a college S&C program, plus the training table. Any kid that loses weight is usually an out of shape OL or DL. So, if we're bringing in a HS kid who's already 220 during his senior year of HS he is very, very, very likely to outgrow the position. That's why I'd prefer to see us bring in a 6'1 200lb HS kid who can grow into that 210, 215-ish SS (or Star). I think Burney and Reese could play the Star, if they play closer to the LOS (I'm not sure we're seeing the true Star the way it's intended due to the lack of personnel on the roster).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, totally agree w/ you. I'd love to see us w/ a 210-220 guy. But, these kids are coming out of HS at 220. We all know these kids put on a ton of weight/size once they get into a college S&C program
Maybe... maybe not. Many of those kids have a little baby fat.

They can work on speed and stay lean with effort.

The good coaches pick positions for kids basically based on how fast a kid is. If you are slow and small, you go to the line and better start eating and working out.

Listing these guys at DB implies they are fast enough. I agree it is going to take work to keep them there (weight wise). And having a really fast 225-230 pound LB isn't the worst thing (Earl Everett) anyway.

LT Raz has commented often about this not being a 4-2-5 (mostly) or 3-3-5 (occasionally) but a nickel. I think that means he is drinking radiator fluid again, but he still hasn't explained why a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 isn't a "nickel" or what his version of a "nickel" is. Regardless, these "heavy" safeties can play "star" regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.