2019 Schedule, Early Assessment

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like having the late season patsy to rest up from the SEC schedule. Also, it makes for a light-hearted trip, as proven by the Idado game this season, which was a blast to take the fam to AND got to see SQ, CS and BNA -- amazing. As mentioned before, we also get to see some of the next gen players. Those games earlier in the year come with higher temperatures, which don't bother me, but the rest of the fam is impacted.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
It’s called money. UF makes a fortune playing at home (against anyone), while a fraction by playing a true road game. Why dafuq would anyone do that?
I think we can forego a couple home games over say four years to ratchet up the schedule a bit. I am a long term season tix holder and have very little interest in watching Townson get demolished. I would rather have an interesting home and home series with a better school. I would travel for that. Plus it expands our reach. Just saying it doesn t always have to be about money.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would love it, but I don’t think we’re there...yet.
We essentially self-destructed. Just cut back on the stupid mistakes. There's not nearly as much of a gap as there was at the start of the season.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
But it is.
Are you telling me that say if we scheduled a home and home with Texas that the UAA and Gainesville would not benefit more than having a Townson come in and we have to pay then what, a cool mill. Come on man! Townson will be 40% empty. I would love to see the analysis.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
\
Are you three really that clueless?

It isn't clueless. We don't owe group of five teams home and homes or even 2 for 1s and could find plenty willing to play us at home for a pay day. It doesn't have to be these FCS nonsense games.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Why dont you just fill us in chief.
So you really don't know. The first is scheduling, When the SEC went to 14 teams that left us with two dates to schedule OOC teams. Because of the Florida-Georgia game and our annual OOC with FSU that meant that those two games could only be home games. (Money for the city of G'vile and UF). P5 schools don't agree to travel to your stadium unless you travel to theirs and that ain't happening, When the NCAA went to 12 games that gave us some leeway with the extra game and we entered into agreements with Miami to play at neutral locations and like last year against Michigan. Schedules are made years in advance so even those are difficult to schedule. The Div II schools will make the trip for the money despite getting crushed. "Mid-majors" have enough pride that they'd rather not schedule a sure defeat. P5 teams don't need the money.
The second reason is a question. Why? It is no benefit to us. We don't need any help with our SOS. Playing in the SEC gives us all the credit we need. Personally I want what's best for us. Unlike you, I guess, I'm a Gator fan first. I don't want to play a game the week before F$U that we have to seriously prepare for AND risk injury. Plus I'd like for backups/freshman to get a chance to play. I preferred the 11 team regular season when we opened with two warmup games before heading in to SEC play. It was good for us - again I'm just a Gator fan that wants what works best for us.

TLDR:
Scheduling & Gators first

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
yeah just trade up those FCS games for some lower level Power 5 games like Louisville, Oklahoma St, Purdue, NCSt, Wake, UNC, Duke, Cuse, BC, VT, KU, ISU, TT, Baylor, etc.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I understand most of what you are saying, but, Townson? Maybe getting the non-con games organized is harder than I believe. In my mind, and I know I am often wrong, I believe the likes of a Ga Tech or WVU would love to come and prove themselves in the swamp. Furthermore, I would love an away game somewhere outside the SEC.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Agreed I woul love to see a quality series with teams like Texas, Ga Tech, or WVU.

I guess they thought the opening game with Miami would be very competitive when they agreed to play. Miami should be at a disadvantage considering the coaching change and recruiting cycle.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I guess they thought the opening game with Miami would be very competitive when they agreed to play. Miami should be at a disadvantage considering the coaching change and recruiting cycle.
Yep great I get to go to Orlando and deal with scUM fans.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We play in the SEC. Our OOC games is Miami and FSU. Typically, those are tough games. The other two games are patsies. Who cares ... we aren't UCF and have to go out and find fights when you are fighting them constantly in the SEC.

I get so sick and tired of people complaining about our easy OOC schedule then wonder why we fade in SEC play at the end of the year. I say schedule some patsies so those OOC games are like bye weeks so we can get ourselves ready for SEC play and get ourselves back to full strength after the SEC play in time for FSU.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We’re playing 2 ACC schools. How is playing 2 cupcakes (besides those ACC schools) any different than anyone else?

Because they are FCS level opponents, at least play one of the two against an FBS team.

Also, as far as money, yes, forfeiting a home/home means losing a bit of money, but the opponent would have to pay us too, and getting a check from say, a Texas, Southern Cal, etc. with a capacity of 90,000+ would likely offset a weak non-sellout gate at BHG against an FCS opponent who we would have to pay at least $250K to play.

Getting scUM back on the slate was nice next season, until seeing it diluted by two FCS level cupcakes. Heck, play a weaker Sun Belt team that may bring 5,000 or so people with them and fill more seats.

How many other SEC schools schedule two FCS level teams besides the two in Mississippi?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I understand most of what you are saying, but, Townson? Maybe getting the non-con games organized is harder than I believe. In my mind, and I know I am often wrong, I believe the likes of a Ga Tech or WVU would love to come and prove themselves in the swamp. Furthermore, I would love an away game somewhere outside the SEC.
Not saying we can't get a "mid major" to come here but it costs more and again why. We do it once in a while. Like UCF for instance. But were not going to get a P5 to come here without us going there. Ga Tech and WVU ain't coming here unless we go there and that just ain't happening.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The last major home/home I can remember with a P5 (not FSU or scUM) was Syracuse in 1986 and 1991, and we know how the trip up there ended up. We had the great home/home with USC in the early 80's, when Wilbur had his coming out party at the expense of Sean Salisbury. We also had one with Rutgers, when they inexplicably tied us here.

Proof it can be done, and proof Foley was a pussy.

UGA is playing part two of a home/home with ND in Athens next, and have ones schedule in the next decade with Clemson, UCLA, and Texas. Proof it can be done with a rival ACC game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its seems like Auburn sucks every year we expect em to be good and every year we expect them to suck, they're good. Idk with that one. They always seem to hang around and beat us by the skin of their teeth . I think we get uga back next year. LSU is a toss being that its in death valley. I think we win every other game and take the east.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The last major home/home I can remember with a P5 (not FSU or scUM) was Syracuse in 1986 and 1991, and we know how the trip up there ended up. We had the great home/home with USC in the early 80's, when Wilbur had his coming out party at the expense of Sean Salisbury. We also had one with Rutgers, when they inexplicably tied us here.

Proof it can be done, and proof Foley was a pussy.

UGA is playing part two of a home/home with ND in Athens next, and have ones schedule in the next decade with Clemson, UCLA, and Texas. Proof it can be done with a rival ACC game.

So far we got a home and home with FSU, Miami and USF through 2022. Nothing is scheduled past that except FSU. So we are on par with what you show UGA doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator