2019 Schedule, Early Assessment

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Chances are it will be at 3:30 on CBS.

Alabama is at Texas A&M that day. That will be the CBS 3:30. South Carolina is at UGA that day. I'd bet USC/UGA and UF/LSU will both be night kickoffs, one on ESPN and the other on SEC Network.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well, Fresno State is a FBS team that just won their conference and a bowl game and is in the top 25 of nearly every power rankings list, and Towson is a 7-6 FCS team that lost by 30 to ACC doormat Wake Forest last year...but other than that - yeah, no difference.

A cupcake by any other name is still a cupcake. It’s a no win situation. We should beat them easily. Hell we should beat most of the P5 easily.
In any case I see no difference in playing Fresno over Towson. It’s a boring non-conference game that we win by three TDs instead of five. I enjoy winning by five more.
Honestly I think it’s comical that this is what ur whining about.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I have not read this entire thread and maybe someone has mentioned this, but this year UF ended up playing two D1 FCS teams because Idaho dropped down from D1 FBS to D1 FCS between the time UF scheduled the game and when it was played. That is excusable in my view.

Other than that though, I agree that UF should not be playing D1 FCS school as a rule. The only reason to play D1 FCS schools is to save money on the fee and maybe it is true those schools to not demand as big a pay day as D1 FBS non-power 5 schools. Of course if all D1 FBS non power 5 schools are no longer willing to play a game without a return game, then that would be an addition reason to schedule more or maybe even all D1 FCS schools.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
A cupcake by any other name is still a cupcake. It’s a no win situation. We should beat them easily. Hell we should beat most of the P5 easily.
In any case I see no difference in playing Fresno over Towson. It’s a boring non-conference game that we win by three TDs instead of five. I enjoy winning by five more.
Honestly I think it’s comical that this is what ur whining about.

And there it is. You don't want to add another game that Florida could potentially lose. I think 95% of time the Gators would handle business - but there's at least the possibility of getting beaten. You'd rather see our WRs run against complete air all day long in a game that is basically a bye week in pads. Were you the guy as a kid that played Madden on easy? I think it is laughable that anyone would argue against playing a real football team out of fear our Gators might lose.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Of course if all D1 FBS non power 5 schools are no longer willing to play a game without a return game, then that would be an addition reason to schedule more or maybe even all D1 FCS schools.

There are plenty that will for the exposure and the chance to get their team in front of recruits in the state. Even if we did have to give them a game, the UAA obviously didn't think getting a 2 for 1 with USF or UCF was bad for the program. I've actually got a lot of hope that Stricklin will move this in the right direction. In 2020 we only play one FCS school and have one so far on the 2021 schedule. After that it is pretty wide open with the exception of USF in 2022 and 2025 and our yearly meet up with F(ive and)S(even)U.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Relax chief. Its more a bytch about the likes of the Townson’s coming in.

Yes we need to expand our recruiting reach. We need to do everything we can to climb back on top of the mountain. Alabama has 70+ players from outside their state. What is that 50% of their roster, or more! Townson adds no value to the program. Its less than an inter-squad scrimmage. Let us not be afraid to play the toughest schedule. Let us not be afraid to travel north or west once every couple years to beat down a Texas, West Virginia or a Boston College. Let them come to the Swamp for a beating too. These cupcake games just plain suck a$$.

I get it, but how many Bama players are outside of the arc I mentioned. Alabama is a small population state and Auburn is there also. Now I would be happy to get the brother of their current QB. We have had poor results with west coast players in the past, so spending a lot of effort on them is not something I would want. Now if you have some special interest or connection with a player I want the best from wherever.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I've actually got a lot of hope that Stricklin will move this in the right direction. In 2020 we only play one FCS school and have one so far on the 2021 schedule.

I am not sure why? It is my impression UF did not ordinarily play FCS schools until Stricklin showed up with his Miss. State view of things. Am I wrong on that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Stricklin and Cowbell regularly played 2 or even 3 FCS and never played any decent team OOC.

Only 1 fcs win counts for bowl eligibilty but people still add it to overall record it seems. Bowden did it too in the late years.
It is a common ploy to boost records.

It is probably cheaper too. Im sure we pay less for those games.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We should not be playing any FCS schools. I'd like to see the numbers now with all of the TV money involved. I would bet that those monies easily offset any money we'd lose in a home and home series with some decent schools.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I am not sure why? It is my impression UF did not ordinarily play FCS schools until Stricklin showed up with his Miss. State view of things. Am I wrong on that?

We typically played at least one per season. Most of the schedule commitments outside of the USF deal were signed before Stricklin took over and as someone else pointed out - we couldn't help the Idaho move (although it is also fair to say that Idaho was in the toilet when we put them on the schedule). I like that he got us USF and that he didn't hesitate to offer our open dates in a 2 for 1 to UCF.

My ideal schedule would be a neutral site with a P5 as an opener, two group of fives and FSU. Personally I'd be thrilled if we did a neutral site game with Miami every year as the old school hatred is real - but I realize that will never happen for a lot of reasons.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And there it is. You don't want to add another game that Florida could potentially lose. I think 95% of time the Gators would handle business - but there's at least the possibility of getting beaten. You'd rather see our WRs run against complete air all day long in a game that is basically a bye week in pads. Were you the guy as a kid that played Madden on easy? I think it is laughable that anyone would argue against playing a real football team out of fear our Gators might lose.

I said we’d win by three TDs instead of five. Reading comprehension ‘bro.
But if you want the mighty Fresno State <?> on the schedule good for you. I laugh in your general direction.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mizzou and Kentucky are losing way too much, they'll both take a big step back next year. Plus we'll have the revenge factor on our side, no way we lose either of those games.
KY loses 12 starters

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I said we’d win by three TDs instead of five. Reading comprehension ‘bro.
But if you want the mighty Fresno State <?> on the schedule good for you. I laugh in your general direction.
Reading between the lines and noticing the yellow stain.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Reading between the lines and noticing the yellow stain.
I'm not advocating Towson over Fresno. It's just all the same to me. Either you're P5 or you're not. I'm not going to crow about a victory over Fresno anymore than I'm going to crow about a victory over Towson. Neither are games that I'm going to re-arrange my Saturday around. I just find it comical that this is what you guys are bytching about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb