2019 Spring Game

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
We have a whole lot more holes than OL. We are weak at DT, SDE, ILB and safety. All of our edge guys are weak vs run.

We will need a bunch of luck just to have a 3 loss season. Everyone has film now and knows which safeties are trash and how soft we are up the middle.
The defensive talent and depth gets scarier each time we look at it. Starting to worry that this will be an inverse of the Champ years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The defensive talent and depth gets scarier each time we look at it. Starting to worry that this will be an inverse of the Champ years.
Or 2007.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Really, it is exactly the same, at least on defense Chimp recruiting nothing but Rushbackers (buck under his scheme) and CBs also.

ForFthe DL, we will have 9 or 10 Rushbackers this year all of whom weigh 230 or less.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That is fvkki g nuts and there is zero chance you actually believe that.

In 2007 we had a five star RS freshman MLB named Spikes, 4+ star Earl Everett, 5 star Reggie Nelson at safety.

Please tell me the future all Americans we have at ILBor safety? Or who are even SEC starter caliber? Or where our DL are that are competent vs the run?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it's april and law has already hit peak punk ***** mode. what a disgrace you must be to your father who thought he was raising a man
Before you get too much indegestion you may want to remind yourself this is year #2 of a rebuild.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That is fvkki g nuts and there is zero chance you actually believe that.

In 2007 we had a five star RS freshman MLB named Spikes, 4+ star Earl Everett, 5 star Reggie Nelson at safety.

Please tell me the future all Americans we have at ILBor safety? Or who are even SEC starter caliber? Or where our DL are that are competent vs the run?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I was pointing to a step back defensively. Don't read anything more in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Before you get too much indegestion you may want to remind yourself this is year #2 of a rebuild.
Except not signing an inside linebacker, only 1 DT and 1 SDE IN TWO YEARS isnt rebuilding. It is making it worse.

Grantham will be gone. Probably Christian Robinson too. Wont matter to them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Except not signing an inside linebacker, only 1 DT and 1 SDE IN TWO YEARS isnt rebuilding. It is making it worse.

Grantham will be gone. Probably Christian Robinson too. Wont matter to them.
Hey, I'm happy with the development period. He's not Urban's equal in recruiting but he's a far better offensive mind. It's been since Spurrier that we had a coach who could call plays. I find that comforting.

The defensive talent will come. We are Florida. We have ALWAYS recruited well defensively.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The defensive talent will come. We are Florida. We have ALWAYS recruited well defensively.
Im sure they would come, but I can't exactly figure out why we haven't even been trying.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Im sure they would come, but I can't exactly figure out why we haven't even been trying.

I basically agree with a series of comments you made about the time the Grantham to the NFL story came out. Paraphrasing, you expressed the opinion that there are still holes in the roster as a result of the decade-long decline of the program, the poor recruiting performance of certain members of the current staff, and the "unbalanced" nature of Grantham's scheme and the fallout that resulted in recruiting. You went on to express frustration with Grantham, which I share to some degree, and the belief that DM would eventually correct the situation - one way or the other. I'm hoping for the best, but it's hard not to have some trepidations at this point. The addition of Dexter and Brown helps to some degree, though both have question marks pertaining to height (Dexter) and weight (Brown). And the unanswered deficiencies at ILB and safety, to date, are still a serious concern.

However, I do think we're in somewhat better shape for the upcoming season on the DL than some. But unless we make some serious recruiting strides in the above mentioned areas, we're going to be up schitts creek in another year or two. As far as projecting this year's won-lost record is concerned, I think a best case of 9-3 "with a lot of luck" is rather pessimistic. I frankly "expect" a 10-2 season with a couple of very big wins along the way. Exactly what effect a 10 or 11 win season will have on recruiting remains to be seen. I do believe in Mullen's vision for the program and that real progress is being made - but like others, I have some concerns. Stay tuned.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
However, I do think we're in somewhat better shape for the upcoming season on the DL than some.
The concern is t really this season. Poor recruiting classes echo three or four years later.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
i think thereis a rebroadcast today at 1pm sec network ... for you guys that like to dissect film and tear wings off flys

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did Wells play? I didn't see any backup receivers playing.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Did Wells play? I didn't see any backup receivers playing.

Wells played and had a few catches.

My primary takeaway is last year's coverage weaknesses -- LB's against any RB or TE and safeties -- are still a major problem. Davis and Stiner definitely let up on a few plays intentionally, where I think they deliver hits in a game. But, even accounting for that, they were beat badly multiple times.

Per Will Sammons, Stiner and Taylor had abysmal catches against rates for safeties last year (shocking to everyone, I know). Stewart was running with the 1's by the end of this spring, but they are still planning to rotate the group as though they are a defensive line unit. Pretty disappointing if they stick to that plan, which is exactly what they did last year so I suspect they will again.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Wells played and had a few catches.

My primary takeaway is last year's coverage weaknesses -- LB's against any RB or TE and safeties -- are still a major problem. Davis and Stiner definitely let up on a few plays intentionally, where I think they deliver hits in a game. But, even accounting for that, they were beat badly multiple times.

Per Will Sammons, Stiner and Taylor had abysmal catches against rates for safeties last year (shocking to everyone, I know). Stewart was running with the 1's by the end of this spring, but they are still planning to rotate the group as though they are a defensive line unit. Pretty disappointing if they stick to that plan, which is exactly what they did last year so I suspect they will again.

I agree about Davis pulling up. I saw that at least twice from him. They probably told them if it's a long reception, let the guy go basically. On one of the long TDs to Grimes down the left sideline Shawn Davis let up when he could've delivered a blow after the catch.
We need A. Williams in the next class to help make our safeties better. Hopefully Diwun Black ends up as a safety and lives up to hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator