Warning: Political Takes 2020 College Football: the “season” has officially started

Should Sec go after other conferences teams that are disgusted?

• Yes

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Maybe if it's Ohio St, Michigan or Usc

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I too am hearing that this will be around for a while. For instance, I’ve read reports that the 2nd wave could come as soon as the 26th of this month. And one model suggests that the 4th wave could be 11 times worse(though to be fair, that one had all the ear marks of being a fake). In any event, I was born in 1980, a looong time ago, and I’ve never seen anything like this.

upload_2020-5-24_15-10-52.gif

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yes, somewhat. I know this place is all about football, not so much science. But, this is different than the flu, a better analogy would be the measles or rubella. With COVID-19 once infected and recover you appear to have have (lifelong?) immunity. This is not the case with the seasonal flu. Also, it is 40 times more deadly than the flu, that is noteworthy. Early indications are a few people have suffered kidney and brain issues after infection, this is not the case with the flu. But this is early, not fully established. You right in that it will eventually become endemic like the seasonal flu. But this will just be among the population that does not have the antibodies. This pandemic virus will spread worldwide until at least 60% to 70% of the population have antibodies (either through infection or vaccine). According to The W.H.O. we are 4-5 years away. I assume 3 based upon 18 months to get the vaccine and 18 more to manufacture, send through the supply chain, and distribute and vaccinate people. Eat right, exercise, and help other people where you can. My coping mechanism is the Stockdale Paradox, be optimistic and realistic at the same time. Football seems minor, but we will get through this and football will return.

Great points, but somewhat it is more frequent because it is new. I looked closely at the process for developing vaccines, it is full of time that in an emergency can't be taken. I also expect that manufacturing will be ready as soon as a vaccine has passed the shorter process. It is possible none will pass, but I wonder why with all our better science tools it is not easier to develop both vaccines and treatments. Surely the military has done work to counter bio attacks, but maybe it is more difficult than I can imagine.

I bet only some football will return, some smaller schools will eliminate all sports and some schools might even close. The shutdown and emotional responses will have long term effects, some negative and some positive. Thanks for the input.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Colleges playing in empty stadiums makes zero sense.

It makes total sense if the alternative is no TV money. Now I agree those with boxes should be allowed to attend. Various sections allowed with say masks and social distancing. It all can be done but only if we take a rational approach without the totally emotional idea that no new infections are acceptable.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No it's really quite simple. All players must be 6 feet from one another, otherwise throw the penalty flag. If any opposing player gets within 6 feet of the ball carrier he's tackled. :eek3: Just a few minor rule changes.:grin:

... and no coach can tell a player to take a breather?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
About half way through he starts talking about the viability of the fooball season taking place.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
It seems I'm wrong as much as I'm right lately but hearing as few as 15,000 in the swamp this season with possibly only a SEC schedule being played.
If so the alumni getting the tickets, with the most points are probably the same old farts that have no business being there.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I had a feeling Alabama put their players up in a 4/5 star hotel at some secret location
and have continued to workout and practice. This all but confirms it.
Or they were never sent home in the first place like every other team in the country.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If they were testing for STD's the whole team would be positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.