Status
Not open for further replies.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes I wonder if some of you actually watch college football.

Oh the surprise = I got an unexplained dismissive toplofty rebuff from Swami Swonkey. We all just watched the CFB national championship game. Its outcome was determined by the passing of the QBs. That's what all watchers expected the game to revolve around. The dual-threat QB, Hurts, inserted to salvage the game, improved nothing for his team.?? So, my valid question (Would Mullen's alleged tunnel-vision for a running QB cause him to not choose a Trevor Lawrence?) remains unplumbed. As the purpose of a message board gets sabotaged by the bandito who rides a donkey to ride all posters. What about a discussion on it?

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If you look at CDM''s QBs at MSU you see some variation in running and passing skills. Some pass better and run worse or vice-versa. But I think the sobriquet "willing runner" is the minimum that can work in his system. In the ncs game Trevor showed a willingness (and skill) to run. So, yes, I am sure that he would take Lawrence.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AR, am I remembering right? = Lawrence only ran after the game was decided? That was to protect the ball from turnover? I remember, drive after drive feasting on his passing. I am sure throughout the game many times running yards were there for him, but he chose the pass. Lawrence's passes beat down Alabama. IMO, H.S. QBs are all around athletes. So, there should be many of high passing skill that can do the ad-lib running.?? So, make passing skill the choice marker.?? No college QB can withstand or deliver the bashing of Tebow.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I listened to the 15 January Dooley noted podcast and in it Andrue suggested that Bowman would be committing to UF very soon.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Oh the surprise = I got an unexplained dismissive toplofty rebuff from Swami Swonkey. We all just watched the CFB national championship game. Its outcome was determined by the passing of the QBs. That's what all watchers expected the game to revolve around. The dual-threat QB, Hurts, inserted to salvage the game, improved nothing for his team.?? So, my valid question (Would Mullen's alleged tunnel-vision for a running QB cause him to not choose a Trevor Lawrence?) remains unplumbed. As the purpose of a message board gets sabotaged by the bandito who rides a donkey to ride all posters. What about a discussion on it?

The fact that DM apparently passed on Corral may, in fact, be a result of off the field issues. But "fit" may have been a deciding factor as well. Whatever his other shortcomings may or may not be, Matt can really spin the ball, making one wonder if a lack of physical stature or "willingness" as a runner played a part in the decision to pass on the passer . I don't know if there's an answer in there anywhere, but there may be some indication of what DM looks at in making a decision on who will or won't fill the bill at QB in the RPO. Admittedly, a lot of supposition and not much substance. But if a fan's readiness to express his opinions does not exceed the grasp of his actual expertise, what then is a sports forum for?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
if a fan's readiness to express his opinions does not exceed the grasp of his actual expertise, what then is a sports forum for?

GatorChatter mantra-worthy statement, Lizard. (On a scale of one to ten, a lizard needs more scales.)
Well, 'spressed, sir.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we watched a true freshman QB totally Destry Bama with nary a run until the game way way out of hand.
Yeah.... so what? What does that have to do with Mullin's offense?

Plus I've told you repeatedly for a decade that Saban is weak vs the pass and overcommits to stopping the run, which is the right thing to do in a conference in which only one or two teams even know how to pass.

Hell, Matt Fatford threw for 400 vs Bammer and SOS did the same with a drunk fat dude. Neither of those can run.

When I mention Bammer is soft vs pass, I usually get a mass blast about how a running QB is the answer if the running game doesn't work. :smh:

Yes, a freshman, and Fatford, and SOS beat Bammer with passing QBs, but they also didn't have Mullinz as OC.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Yeah.... so what? What does that have to do with Mullin's offense?

Plus I've told you repeatedly for a decade that Saban is weak vs the pass and overcommits to stopping the run, which is the right thing to do in a conference in which only one or two teams even know how to pass.

Hell, Matt Fatford threw for 400 vs Bammer and SOS did the same with a drunk fat dude. Neither of those can run.

When I mention Bammer is soft vs pass, I usually get a mass blast about how a running QB is the answer if the running game doesn't work. :smh:

Yes, a freshman, and Fatford, and SOS beat Bammer with passing QBs, but they also didn't have Mullinz as OC.
Well, my ass-inine friend, if Mullen wants to win over Bama, this Bama not the Bama of 2008 or 9, the formula is well known Pass the ball on them, don't try to run it on them. And have a stout defense. So you want a passing QB that can occasionally run. Maybe to the tune of 30-40 yds per game. While the QB running the ball for 100yds per game might work for lesser teams, it does not work well against Bama or Georgia.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Swonkey is tethered to his foundational posts guaranteeing that Mullen is stupid. That he has a CFB IQ that will only win 6-7 games a season. That's why he keeps Mullen incapable of valuing a passer QB. Fitzgerald's terrible passing + solid running skills forced Mullen to think that dual-threat was the best way. With the quality QBs Florida can now attract, Mullen can smarten up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, my ass-inine friend, if Mullen wants to win over Bama, this Bama not the Bama of 2008 or 9, the formula is well known Pass the ball on them, don't try to run it on them. And have a stout defense. So you want a passing QB that can occasionally run. Maybe to the tune of 30-40 yds per game. While the QB running the ball for 100yds per game might work for lesser teams, it does not work well against Bama or Georgia.
I agree completely.

I've just never seen the slightest evidence Mullinz knows what to do with a passing QB. Maybe the 2006 OSU game but I'm pretty sure that wasn't his gameplan.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Swonkey is tethered to his foundational posts guaranteeing that Mullen is stupid. That he has a CFB IQ that will only win 6-7 games a season. That's why he keeps Mullen incapable of valuing a passer QB. Fitzgerald's terrible passing + solid running skills forced Mullen to think that dual-threat was the best way. With the quality QBs Florida can now attract, Mullen can smarten up.

And.....No one ever changes or adapts...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I agree completely.

I've just never seen the slightest evidence Mullinz knows what to do with a passing QB. Maybe the 2006 OSU game but I'm pretty sure that wasn't his gameplan.
What category of qb does Franks fall under? And Chris leak? They certainly aren’t dual threat or run heavy qbs so I’ll go ahead and eliminate those categories for you.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
A donkey of some minor fame,
Found pounding the rock rather lame.
So he brayed loud and clear,
That he'd never cheer,
'Til Dan Boy made passing his game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What category of qb does Franks fall under? And Chris leak? They certainly aren’t dual threat or run heavy qbs so I’ll go ahead and eliminate those categories for you.
Leak was certainly an excellent prototypical pocket passing QB and Mullinz looked like a monkey with a rubik's cube trying to figure out what to do with him (save 06 OSU). I'd love to have seen what SOS could have done with him. Poor kid, stuck running the fvkking option.

Franks..... well, he ran a spread in high school, with some running. Not a running QB per se, but certainly not a pocket passer either. This offense is probably as close as possible to suiting him. Everytime he is in the pocket he looks panicked.

EDIT: Understand when I say this is the best offense (simple, quick passes, some running, rolling out of pocket some) and best coach for him, I am NOT saying he is the best QB for Mullinz' offense. Make sense?

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Everytime he is in the pocket he looks panicked.

There is truth to this but I did see improvement later on when he began stepping up in the pocket rather than running for his life every time. Franks did a good job this year but I am hopeful for more either from him or Jones.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
So many descriptions of Mullen's type QB having to be a runner. Are y'all saying DM would not take a Trevor Lawrence? To me the QB should be a passer, arm & accuracy.

Yes, imho DM would take a Trevor Lawrence, Rog. I think Mullen values both passing accuracy and fast mental processing above all. Having dangerous run ability would be a plus but as Mullen oft says: you don't have to be a great runner, just a willing one. Lawrence certainly fits the bill. U know, Franks is somewhat similar to Lawrence. Both are 6'-6". Franks is heavier by 30 or so pounds. Both have very strong arms though Lawrence is more consistently accurate. Both are willing runners. Lawrence may process info faster - higher football IQ - though that's hard to say. Would Lawrence be inconsistent behind the offensive line Florida fielded this year and would Franks perform better surrounded by Clemson talent? Ideally, a Mullen QB would be a great runner, great passer, fast-twitch thinker and a load to bring down. What I think he doesn't want is a great runner that can't pass worth a damn or a glacially slow thinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.