Not open for further replies.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He fell off the 33-39 wagon.

“And while Mullen didn’t work with Stricklin at Florida, Stricklin, who came last year from Mississippi State, was Mullen’s boss in Starkville. Stricklin, a Mississippi State alum, understands the degree of difficulty at his alma mater. That’s why Mullen’s 69–46 (33–39 SEC) career record doesn’t bother Stricklin. Mullen always had the Bulldogs outpunching their weight class. If a coach can make the Gators outpunch their weight class, he can win national titles.”

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
SOS was on probation, had severe recruiting restrictions, and scholarship reductions. He immediately went to work and landed top classes despite the scholarship limits. Mullins did not inherit that.

The situation inherited doesnt matters at all if you arent recruiting at an elite level and building a championship contender.

BTW, by next year Mullins owns 75 of the roster. These excuses are gone by then.
Does this mean that Mullins isn't Spurrier? Who knew?

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
SOS went 1-2 against ranked teams his first year, Mullen went 3-1. SOS went undefeated against unranked teams where Mullen lost 2. It's just childish to only look at the end result imo. I think it's pretty important to see how you get there. But then it's much more difficult to compare situations.

Recruiting at an elite level and building a championship contender? That's just personal opinion. What determines elite level recruiting? Who determines if a contender is being built?
Imo an elite level recruiter wins the battles that mean something (Bowman) is a great example. Bowman was an highly elite Rb who was looking at us and Clemson. We took 3 of his teammates last year and Mullen still couldn't close the deal. I get that there are things that make that happen but 3 years from now when our facilities are equal to it's no excuse anymore.

An elite recruiter also has a better 3 to 4 star ratio than Mullen has been pulling. They also pull way more top 150 players than Mullen has pulled. I'd be happy with 7 top 100 players and 16 top 250 with at least 1 5* a year. That's not asking much, that's recruiting on par with the elite recruiters

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
SOS went 1-2 against ranked teams his first year, Mullen went 3-1. SOS went undefeated against unranked teams where Mullen lost 2. It's just childish to only look at the end result imo. I think it's pretty important to see how you get there. But then it's much more difficult to compare situations.

Recruiting at an elite level and building a championship contender? That's just personal opinion. What determines elite level recruiting? Who determines if a contender is being built?
The end result is the only thing that matters. Everything else is just noise.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for the stats.

But that 2000 class was the most overrated class of all time.
Florida 2000 Football Commits

As I recall the 1993 class was largely a bust, Fred Weary being a notable exception.

Or given that UF had a coaching change after the 2001 season, perhaps this class was one of the most under coached class of all time. The coaching UF provided them as JRs and SRs was radically different than the coaching they signed up for.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Or given that UF had a coaching change after the 2001 season, perhaps this class was one of the most under coached class of all time. The coaching UF provided them as JRs and SRs was radically different than the coaching they signed up for.

Good point. We certainly saw the flip side of that on the other end when Meyer took Zook’s holdovers and almost to a man radically improved them.

And we’re seeing it now.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
this is silly. We competed this year. We were one CB away from going 4 qtrs toe to toe with them.

And we were fortunate to catch SC with walk on DBs, F$U at their 40+-year worst, and Michigan disinterested and without several star players. Taking the season as a whole, we wound up well and with a long way to go.

We’re clearly making progress. Everything is better and moving in the right direction. But it’s a short slip from 10-3 to 8-5, and restoring our brand to the top tier is a much tougher climb than getting back to the top 10. I see a whole lot in CDM’s organization and approach that gives me hope, but he does need every scrap of talent + development + gameplay/game day he can muster to get there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
this is silly. We competed this year. We were one CB away from going 4 qtrs toe to toe with them.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
Moral victory almost competed status again.

You were celebrating when Butters scored that one offensive TD vs Trailerbammer and almost scored once vs Clowntown, werent you?

Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program period. Take away Fred Taylor, James Bates, Ike Hilliard from 96 and we arent champions. Take away Leak, Percy, Tebow, and Spikes (and those fifty other bluechippers, even Zook ones) from 06 and 08 and we arent champions, PERIOD.

Saban and those other elite coaches (no, not Shart) know how to develop their 4 and 5 stars too, you know.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Imo an elite level recruiter wins the battles that mean something (Bowman) is a great example. Bowman was an highly elite Rb who was looking at us and Clemson. We took 3 of his teammates last year and Mullen still couldn't close the deal.

Everyone around here that thinks we should get any kid that goes to Lakeland is fooling themselves.....this is not the reality and has been made up by us fans and these are words coming from the staff. Yes there is still a small chance we get Bowman but Clemson is a better situation for him and it has nothing to do with our staff. Etienne departs after this season and the backfield is his for the next 3 years, thats not the case with our stable!

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
And we were fortunate to catch SC with walk on DBs, F$U at their 40+-year worst, and Michigan disinterested and without several star players. Taking the season as a whole, we wound up well and with a long way to go.

We’re clearly making progress. Everything is better and moving in the right direction. But it’s a short slip from 10-3 to 8-5, and restoring our brand to the top tier is a much tougher climb than getting back to the top 10. I see a whole lot in CDM’s organization and approach that gives me hope, but he does need every scrap of talent + development + gameplay/game day he can muster to get there.

Troo dat.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
Moral victory almost competed status again.

You were celebrating when Butters scored that one offensive TD vs Trailerbammer and almost scored once vs Clowntown, werent you?

Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program period. Take away Fred Taylor, James Bates, Ike Hilliard from 96 and we arent champions. Take away Leak, Percy, Tebow, and Spikes (and those fifty other bluechippers, even Zook ones) from 06 and 08 and we arent champions, PERIOD.

Saban and those other elite coaches (no, not Shart) know how to develop their 4 and 5 stars too, you know.
The idea that we didnt compete is dumb. We didnt compete 2 years ago vs uga. We competed last year.

I usually celebrate TDs. If the game was already out of hand I probably didn't.

Recruiting is very important. I just dont think its black and white . On top of that, we hired a guy who has made coaching a higher priority than recruiting. So do we just bitch about it? Or do we support the new coach?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Everyone wading through pages of this for @Slevin ,@leogator , or at @BMF to post something relevant:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We kind of made Michigan disinterested. It was a tight game in the first half.

Perhaps for the Michigan players who PLAYED. The stars who sat out in advance of the draft were clearly disinterested before "we" did anything. Also I would argue their disinterest probably spilled over to some of their teammates.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Everyone wading through pages of this for @Slevin ,@leogator , or at @BMF to post something relevant:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

With FNL coming up, I'm not seeing any predictions on any 2020 kids committing...but there could be a few 2021 kids. I'm hoping we go ahead and green light QB Carlos Del Rio. The QB dominoes are already starting to fall for 2021 w/ Oklahoma, Alabama, A&M, Texas and a few others already getting QB commits. Although not a very highly ranked QB, Del Rio is pretty good. Clemson is starting to go after Plan B's and Del Rio is on their list.

I'm hoping/expecting to see Lee possibly getting back in the class - if we don't get him, or flip Bowman (pipe dream) the only other blue-chip RB available seems to be Toafili. OT Marcus Dumervil could be committing sooner or later - he'd be our best shot at a blue-chip OL (ranked in the top 200 overall). Possibly seeing Robinson flip from Alabama, or we get Pouncey (or both) at CB. I'm not sure who the other heavy DL will be, but we'd love to see Z. Walker (lots of competition for him though), otherwise we have several Plan B's lined up. I'd love to see Isaiah Walker flip from SC (but Miami could be the favorite if he does flip), would be another blue-chip O.

Others we are still hoping for: X. Henderson (Chris' brother) - Clemson still thinks they have a shot at him (and they have the most predictions)...but it also looks like Clemson is taking the Ajou Ajou kid out of Clearwater (he's pretty low ranking, but lots of bigger schools like him). Henderson or Arian Smith (Lakeland) are our best shots at a stud WR (if Manual doesn't qualify).

I think we get Laddarius Tennison - solid football player, but short at 5'9. Auburn & Miami are the other teams in the picture.

I'd like to see Malik Heath (JUCO WR) commit. Our WR depth takes a huge hit this year and Heath is a stud - who fits the 'big' WR mold Mullen likes. The Miss schools are pushing for him, especially MSU (where he previously committed to Mullen).

This is from the Clemson board on Henderson:

• Haven't yet confirmed any weekend plans for four-star Xzavier Henderson, the third and final Clemson wide receiver target in the picture right now. Florida is also hosting a recruiting event on Friday and has hoped to host Henderson, but nothing has been confirmed on that end either. The Gators have been viewed as Clemson's biggest competition, along with longer-shot contenders LSU and Alabama. Florida most recently hosted Henderson for a two-day visit on June 20. Clemson most recently hosted him for the Dabo Swinney Camp in early June. Visits to Georgia, LSU, and Alabama were squeezed in between. The Tigers hold 70 percent of the 247Sports Crystal Ball selections, including my own.

This is also from the Clemson board (don't expect UF to finish with a top 6 class). We'll be battling Michigan, Miami, A&M, Penn State, Auburn, and Oklahoma (and possibly Texas if they go on a tear - they only have 10 commits) for #7 thru #14:

— A good bit of chatter recently about other schools catching up to Clemson's current No. 1 recruiting ranking in the 2020.

1) Clemson (94.56) still owns a comfortable lead on Alabama (93.15) in average rating per commitment and it'd be surprising if Clemson doesn't finish No. 1 in that category.

2) In terms of No. 1 overall class, I checked in with other reporters, and listed below is the likely number of total signees come February for each of the top four ranked teams. Current number of commitments are in parentheses.

Clemson: Up to 23 (18)

Alabama: Up to 28 (22)

LSU: Up to 25 (21)

Ohio State: Up to 25 (21)

Ohio State is expecting multiple commitments within the month, so it wouldn't be surprising to see the Buckeyes begin the 2019 football season as No. 1. Alabama could end up making a push for No. 1 before it's said and done. It's difficult to see Clemson finishing the cycle any worse than third.

Some order of Georgia, LSU, and Notre Dame will likely round out the top six.

But bottom line, if Clemson lands five-star linebacker Justin Flowe of Upland (Calif.) and five-star defensive end Jordan Burch, then it's game over. Flowe and Burch would combine with Bryan Bresee and D.J. Uiagalelei to give the Tigers' four of the nation's top six prospects for 247Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator