Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Will Sammon posted a nice article (sub required) on recruiting yesterday. A lot of this is coach speak or just obvious. Still, it was a fun read. Here are the highlights

"What Florida coaches want to see on film when evaluating recruits"

1. Billy Gonzales

Are you looking for guys at a certain size?

“Not really,” Gonzales says.

His track record suggests that is true. He helped sign Keith Mixon (5-8) at Mississippi State in 2015 and recruited Ja’markis Weston (6-3) last cycle for the Gators. Instead of a specific size, Gonzales prefers a certain level of toughness, versatility and physicality. What Gonzales puts the highest premium on while recruiting receivers is what a prospect can do with the ball.

“I really want a guy that when he touches the ball, it’s different,” Gonzales told The Athletic. “When he touches the ball and you turn that film on, it’s electric."

2. Todd Grantham and David Turner

“I don’t get into their technique and things like that because you don’t know how they’ve been coached, what they’ve been told, how old they are,” defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said. “They might be playing more than one spot or multiple sports, too.” ~ Grantham

“Obviously, it’s a part of it,” Turner said, “but I really don’t worry about the technique part as much … you get kids from big schools, small schools, and they’re all being coached differently.” ~ Turner

Technique, fundamentals, how to play the position and overall knowledge of the game were all things Florida’s coaches confidently believed they could teach to the point where it doesn’t matter as much if a prospect is somewhat deficient in one of those areas.

Essentially, Turner was describing defensive linemen who are explosive. Explosiveness was the constant word Florida’s staffers used when discussing their wants and needs, regardless of whether they coached on offense or defense.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
3. Larry Scott

What Scott wants to see, particularly from a tight end, is whether or not a guy has a natural skill set. That’s one reason why Scott often recruits athletes who play both basketball and football, particularly post players on the hardwood.

“They have great hand-eye coordination as rebounders, know about moving their feet, running in and out lanes and coming off of screens and picks,” Scott said. “Natural things like that. That usually translates pretty well to football, especially at the tight end position with some of the things you’re asking them to do in the receiving game.”

4. Dan Mullen and Brian Johnson

“I want to see the ball jump off his hand,” Johnson said. “I want to see him be able to move in the pocket and extend plays while keeping his eyes down the field. And I want to see him naturally throw spirals.

“Some of that stuff is really … it takes a lot of time to coach. And when they do it naturally, they start off at a higher baseline.”

Put in another way, Mullen and Johnson want to see quarterbacks do things that are harder to teach, like display natural arm strength. Accuracy, on the other hand, is something Mullen believes he can help develop.

“When throwing, you want to see a natural release,” Mullen said. “Am I going to have to change your throwing motion drastically? That’s harder to do. Does the ball jump out of your hand? Do you have natural arm strength? It’s much easier to teach someone to be accurate than it is to throw a spiral. Some guys, it just spins off their hand naturally, and other guys, you really have to work at it … which is kind of crazy.”

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
IMG_3209.JPG

Token white guy in wakanda... all joking aside what else do you expect from an IMG kid???

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s much easier to teach someone to be accurate than it is to throw a spiral.
Well... I don't know about that.

I'd guess that Fitzgerald, Tyler Russell, and Chris Relf beg to differ.

We will see. Dude gets paid to coach QBs, I don't.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well... I don't know about that.

I'd guess that Fitzgerald, Tyler Russell, and Chris Relf beg to differ. We will see. Dude gets paid to coach QBs, I don't.
Tyler Russell wasn't terribly inaccurate. He was around 58percent in his only full season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are we ever going to recruit inside linebackers again?

Defensive tackles?

One safety in three years?

These guys realize that CB and Rush aren't the only defensive positions on the field, right?

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Are we ever going to recruit inside linebackers again?

Defensive tackles?

Mullen has stated we need size along the d-line. Either he was BSing, or someone isn't doing their job. Turner hasn't been here long enough to get blame. We will struggle against UGly and the Sabans until this is fixed. We need playmaker DTs, not just space eaters.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Mullen has stated we need size along the d-line. Either he was BSing, or someone isn't doing their job. Turner hasn't been here long enough to get blame. We will struggle against UGly and the Sabans until this is fixed. We need playmaker DTs, not just space eaters.
I could like this a hundred times. As big and athletic as Slaton is, he plays the position like he's the Olinmen. Totally unaware of the back running right past him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Well, at this point we need to get some damn bodies at the position....and hope that Savage can physically mold them and the coaches can "coach them up". Letting Dorlus go to Oregon in 2019 (all signs say we decided we didn't want him) and Brad Culpepper's kid go to Penn State in 2018 are going to bite us in the ass if we don't get our sh*t together. I'd expect the 2021 defense to be one of our worst rushing defenses since the 2007 team. I'll admit, I didn't really like Dorlus (low ranked) but I'm not privy to the recruiting boards so I'm assuming we missed on 2 or 3 kids we thought we were getting....same w/ Judge Culpepper (who is now a 6'4 295lb DT).

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I'm not an X & O's like you traz, but I do attend the games and watch the replays. Slaton got plenty of opportunities to start the season and couldn't get the job done. Thank goodness Shuler and Campbell played well or we definitely wouldn't have came anywhere close to winning ten games. I will say he played better late in the year as learned the defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, they brought Slaton in on third and short, fourth and short, or goal line to actually play tackle like a real tackle and he tears shyt up. Even in the spring game, they always gave the center help when TJ Slaton is on the field. In real games, sometimes he gets three. Making tackles or not swallowing up two or three blockers is terribly disruptive to an offense.

It shouldn't take a lot of X's and O's to understand this.

They take him out on other plays bc they don't give a damn about run defense and want a "tackle" (really a DE) who can line up on the center then loop around to the C gap (around the offensive tackle) or even drop back into coverage. Ancrum was dropping back in the spring game a few plays I noticed.

We really play two DEs and two outside linebackers on our defensive line.We will always be a 40th- 50th ranked run defense playing this scheme.

FYI Shuler and Campbell didn't play well. We had a 40th ranked run defense. Much of that was on the DTs, some was on the LBs. But to be fair, Campbell should be an SDE or DT, not NT and Shuler is an OLB or WDE, not a DT. It's not their fault they are being played out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member