Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Totally agree here -- almost like services preparing for a Gator dominance of the state!
They get a lot of pressure from people screaming Florida bias and SEC bias. I'm sure rating some more West coasters or northeasterners means they sell a few more ads.

I'd rather stick with the top kids in our state. Own our factories. And we must stop trailerbammer, Climpson, and Ugly from skimming the cream off the top. Stay home and show our boys love from the beginning.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yeah, bullshyt. Just stay home, take those proven hometown all state Fla 4 star studs. Pounceys were 4 stars.
Actually, one of them (Maurkice?) was a 3 star on Rivals. If you check, it will now say 4, but it stayed 3 through signing day. The fact that they adjust retroactively is one of the reasons you trust ratings more than I. I was new to recruiting at the time and wondered how they determined one of the twins was better than the other. I also didn't understand why the board went crazy over a 3 star snd a 4 star. I put it down to keeping them from fsu.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Actually, one of them (Maurkice?) was a 3 star on Rivals. If you check, it will now say 4, but it stayed 3 through signing day. The fact that they adjust retroactively is one of the reasons you trust ratings more than I. I was new to recruiting at the time and wondered how they determined one of the twins was better than the other. I also didn't understand why the board went crazy over a 3 star snd a 4 star. I put it down to keeping them from fsu.

Maurkice was always a bit better than Mike. He still is.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Yeah, bullshyt. Just stay home, take those proven hometown all state Fla 4 star studs. Pounceys were 4 stars.

I was thinking about that with regard to Elam & Steele.

In 2008, Janoris Jenkins was a 4-star recruit, #6 CB in the country per Rivals. Even with his weed issue he was by far the best DB in that class. The #1 and only 5-star CB that year was Patrick Johnson (LSU).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, one of them (Maurkice?) was a 3 star on Rivals. If you check, it will now say 4, but it stayed 3 through signing day. .
I think your memory is affected by large amounts of cheeba.

You also "remember" that Callaway and Scarlett were three stars.

I dont remember one Pouncey being ranked lower but I do remember Mike Pouncey being viewed as the one with more of a mean streak. possibly he was considered the one with the greater upside because of that. If I remember correctly he got on the field as a defensive tackle, due to injuries, first.

Rivals doesnt re-rank every two weeks and try to sell you a subrscription to view it, like 247.

There are times, like now with Griffis, that everyone knows he dominated at camp against elite talent but Rivals won't show the increase for a while. However everyone knows it is coming.

That being said I'm generally happy with mid-to-high three star offencive lineman. OL is the hardest for anyone to project, even the plethora of recruiting assistance at Trailerbammer miss a lot. You trying to guess how well a 16 or seventeen-year-old will develop as a 21-22 year old. Will we be able to develop into a 310 lb beast. Will they be the smartest people on the field that understand the entire playbook and will they manage not to get hurt.

I would take a line of three star 5 year RS seniors over more talented group of 19 or 20 year old sophomores.

You can whine about star rankings all you want but there's a reason CJ McWilliams and safety Juwan Taylor look like they do on the field.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
hAlso, the official university announcement, from signing day 2/7/07, seems to think that Rivals had Maurkice rated higher.

James “Michael” Pouncey

Offensive Line • 6-5 • 298

Lakeland, Fla.

Lakeland HS

PREP: Rated among the nation's top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (7th) and Rivals.com (31st)… As a senior, he helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006… Was an integral part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team as a senior… One of 16 offensive linemen in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100… Earned all-state honors as a junior… Chose Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan… High school football coach was Bill Castle… Full name is James Michael Pouncey… His twin brother, Maurkice, will also be a joining the Gators… Enrolled in classes at UF in Jan. 2007… Parents are Rob and Lisa Webster.

LaShawn “Maurkice” Pouncey

Offensive Line • 6-5 • 283

Lakeland, Fla.

Lakeland HS

PREP: Rated among the nation's top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th)… As a senior, he helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006… Part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team as a senior… One of 16 offensive linemen in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100… Earned all-state honors as a junior… Chose Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan… High school football coach was Bill Castle… Full name is LaShawn Maurkice Pouncey… His twin brother, Michael, will also be a joining the Gators… Enrolled in classes at UF in Jan. 2007… Parents are Rob and Lisa Webster.

Football Announces 2007 Recruiting Class - Florida Gators

However, Mike being ranked 31st by Rivals on commitment day does lead some credence to your allegation that the rankings changed later because the page now says Maurkice #15 and Mike #16.

It also as been as simple as an SID intern making a mistake and not updating the release.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

I dont remember one Pouncey being ranked lower but I do remember Mike Pouncey being viewed as the one with more of a mean streak. possibly he was considered the one with the greater upside because of that. If I remember correctly he got on the field as a defensive tackle, due to injuries, first.

Rivals doesnt re-rank every two weeks and try to sell you a subrscription to view it, like 247.

There are times, like now with Griffis, that everyone knows he dominated at camp against elite talent but Rivals won't show the increase for a while. However everyone knows it is coming.

That being said I'm generally happy with mid-to-high three star offencive lineman. OL is the hardest for anyone to project, even the plethora of recruiting assistance at Trailerbammer miss a lot. You trying to guess how well a 16 or seventeen-year-old will develop as a 21-22 year old. Will we be able to develop into a 310 lb beast. Will they be the smartest people on the field that understand the entire playbook and will they manage not to get hurt.

I would take a line of three star 5 year RS seniors over more talented group of 19 or 20 year old sophomores.

You can whine about star rankings all you want but there's a reason CJ McWilliams and safety Juwan Taylor look like they do on the field.
1) I never whine.
2) You are right about playing defense. Both played some (goaline defense and such) in HS and Mike played (badly) at UF.
3) I agree with your O-LINE views.
4) The recruiting services change ratings post facto to make themselves look better. Offers are a better guide.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Maurkice was always rated higher...Mike was at DT because of need and he couldn’t break into the lineup at OL...meanwhile Maurkice was starting

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Maurkice was the higher rated recruit, but you’re right about Mike playing DT as a true freshman. I’m a Lakeland guy (my mom taught at their elementary school) and was absolutely thrilled at how well he played it, too.

Mike played 4 years. Maurkice redshirted and left after his 3rd year.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Maurkice was the higher rated recruit, but you’re right about Mike playing DT as a true freshman. I’m a Lakeland guy (my mom taught at their elementary school) and was absolutely thrilled at how well he played it, too.

Mike played 4 years. Maurkice redshirted and left after his 3rd year.
After Mike was established on the O-LINE, Urban laughed and said he was terrible on defense although he imagined he was great.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After Mike was established on the O-LINE, Urban laughed and said he was terrible on defense although he imagined he was great.
He was unfortunately better than our other options. We had gotten very light on the DL then too. The next class or so had Omar, Shariff and Dominique.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1)4) The recruiting services change ratings post facto to make themselves look better. Offers are a better guide.
Many offers are made before a kid is recruited. Some obviously get better in the senior seasons or show themselves to be elite at camps. Obviously, the ratings are meant to change from time to time.

They are just ratings. Even 5 stars fail (don't become very productive, ie all SEC honorable mention at least) at a 50% rate (more or less). 4 stars are worse. 3 stars fail at a 95% rate. It's the best we have.

Other methods of rating productivity (ie he started) has the obvious problem that if you have a bunch of 3 stars, someone has to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.