Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So far, Christian Scott and Jacob Young are the only ones to sign contracts. I will post the Baseball America Draft Hub link below.

MLB Draft Database

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting as you go thru the rounds how small some of the signing bonuses are to high 6 figures in the same round. But it appears that those getting the snall bonuses are those who probably have no other option. Those who come from high school and those that still have college options have much more leverage.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Didn't see this mentioned by anybody but a kid from our recruiting class, christian painter, was predictably drafted at 13 and has signed a contract. Pretty sure somebody on here was saying that was one of their friend's kid or something.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Didn't see this mentioned by anybody but a kid from our recruiting class, christian painter, was predictably drafted at 13 and has signed a contract. Pretty sure somebody on here was saying that was one of their friend's kid or something.

I thought I recognized his name and not at all surprised he signed for that $$. I plan to find a list of our probable signees and check their status on this list.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I mentioned in this thread on draft night that Painter was drafted 1st round and the chances of him showing up on campus was zero. I have a feeling that Allen won't be on campus either.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting as you go thru the rounds how small some of the signing bonuses are to high 6 figures in the same round. But it appears that those getting the snall bonuses are those who probably have no other option. Those who come from high school and those that still have college options have much more leverage.

I was very glad to find this. Baseball America and D1 Baseball are bookmarked in my browser but most of their content requires a paid subscription. I imagine Fabian is using the threat of returning as leverage to see how much money he can get. I don't know what his magic number is.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was very glad to find this. Baseball America and D1 Baseball are bookmarked in my browser but most of their content requires a paid subscription. I imagine Fabian is using the threat of returning as leverage to see how much money he can get. I don't know what his magic number is.

Like in the 3rd round a high schooler signed with a 900K bonus and 3 college guys drafted before him got about 600K apiece signing bonus. In the 5th round a high schooler signed with a 850K bonus and the guy drafted one spot ahead of him got $12,500. Now that is a disparity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't MLB have only have a finite amount of money to sign any or all of their draft picks?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Like in the 3rd round a high schooler signed with a 900K bonus and 3 college guys drafted before him got about 600K apiece signing bonus. In the 5th round a high schooler signed with a 850K bonus and the guy drafted one spot ahead of him got $12,500. Now that is a disparity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't MLB have only have a finite amount of money to sign any or all of their draft picks?

I heard an interview with a MLB draft guru (don't remember his name) who discussed how teams determine their total draft $$'s with a distinction between salary and bonus money. They determine draftee value, how much the draftee is willing to sign for (salary vs bonus) and then shuffle the money around. Sounds like they try to find out where the player itches and then find a way to scratch it. He also said they talk with players extensively before the draft. Something resembling a creative horse trade.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I just saw this:

I wonder if he coached much hitting at UF. I wondered why Sully didn't hire Lars instead of Jeroloman. Lars is definitely a better 3rd base coach than Craig Bell, but then Homer Simpson would be a better 3rd base coach than Craig Bell.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just saw this:

I wonder if he coached much hitting at UF. I wondered why Sully didn't hire Lars instead of Jeroloman. Lars is definitely a better 3rd base coach than Craig Bell, but then Homer Simpson would be a better 3rd base coach than Craig Bell.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that Craig Bell sucked ballz as a 3B coach. And whoever asked, we do not have a hitting coach or one that knows anything about hitting.. it is quite obvious.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I thought I was the only one who noticed that Craig Bell sucked ballz as a 3B coach. And whoever asked, we do not have a hitting coach or one that knows anything about hitting.. it is quite obvious.

Bell's continued employment as an assistant coach is yet another cause of my long time discontent with Sully. He is the worst 3rd base coach I have ever seen at any level. His resume says he was a high school coach and professional scout. Sully says he is good at evaluating talent. I have been praying for a good hitting coach since Sully got here. Our best hitting coach was John Cohen, our assistant under Pat McMahon.

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

It was me. His name is Andrew Painter, he's the GS of a friend of mine. I haven't heard from her other than a "woo hoo" text on draft day. I'm totally not a baseball fan, and have no idea what this means. I know he had committed to us, pre-draft, but with numbers like that (from the "bonus" link).....doubt we'll ever see him play for us. What, exactly does this bonus mean? Srsly, I know ZIP about BB. Thanks, hanging up and listening now.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This is surprising. Arkansas' Kevin Kopps did not go until the 3rd round as the # 99 pick to San Diego and has signed for $300,000.00

Kopps Wins Golden Spikes Award

I saw that and was surprised he was drafted that high. Yes he had a great season, but from what I read he was not a highly touted pro prospect. They are not sure how to use him or that the whirlybird that he throws will work in the bigs. We shall see.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I saw that and was surprised he was drafted that high. Yes he had a great season, but from what I read he was not a highly touted pro prospect. They are not sure how to use him or that the whirlybird that he throws will work in the bigs. We shall see.

My expectations for him were much higher which was completely based on his college success and winning the GS award.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Cleveland signed Tommy Mace for $1.1 million, Jack Leftwich for $167,000 and Franco Aleman for $175,000

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cleveland signed Tommy Mace for $1.1 million, Jack Leftwich for $167,000 and Franco Aleman for $175,000

Don;t think that was what Leftwich had in mind after his frosh season. As far as Aleman, I guess he just did not feel he would improve enough to warrant a return. Either that or maybe being a student just did not appeal to him? Any who good luck to all of them and enjoy playing for the Cleveland Baseball Organization.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I want to apologize to Sully. Before the season started I said he’d probably have his team dominate the regular season but shyt the bed come tournament time. I was wrong & Sully didn’t do that…he pretty much had his team shyt the bed from the outset. My apologies, sir!

I give Sully credit for consistency, though. Another “0-2 & BBQ” finish to this post season. Same old, same old….

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.