2022 Kentucky Derby / Preakness / Belmont Thread

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fuch @gator1946 his name is Rich Strike, not Quick Strike. For someone who’s speaking of past experience, get his damn name right.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Money just never leaves my mind. I tried to block it out. ;)

Inforthelongterm

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2016
Where'd you get that. He did to immediately to the rail from the outside post and he was in the middle of the crowd on the last turn. Other than that, best I could tell he was saving ground. Maybe 10 or 15 yards?? I don't know. I ran some numbers on the difference between being on the rail on the turn and where he was. It was something relative to the leaders but not much. His initial quick run to the rail was a no stress hand ride.
Saw the stat in a Horse Racing Nation article, but can't find it now. It seemed odd to me when I read it, especially since some of the horses were 9 wide in the final turn. The article was trying to build a case for Rich Strike having a chance v. Epicenter in a rematch. Maybe the author wrote, or meant to write, that Rich Strike's trip was longer than Epicenter's?

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
8 horses is a good sized Belmont field. Enough traffic to make it a battle of wits coming into the home stretch.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's not as big a usual. I haven't looked at who can run the longer race. But it could very well be that at the turn they'll be only three or four with any gas left. Less about wits and more about who can hang on.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
It's not as big a usual. I haven't looked at who can run the longer race. But it could very well be that at the turn they'll be only three or four with any gas left. Less about wits and more about who can hang on.
I was going by the '73 Belmont. I've watched that race so many times I have the field memorized. Secretariat, Twice A Prince, My Gallant, Private Smiles, and Sham.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was going by the '73 Belmont. I've watched that race so many times I have the field memorized. Secretariat, Twice A Prince, My Gallant, Private Smiles, and Sham.

So have I I got hooked because we owned horses (just to ride...nothing more than that). But especially after being a semi insider when Affirmed won the triple crown.

I highly recommend watching the duels between Alydar and Affirmed in the 1978 Triple. Three very close races. I could have been in the owner's box for the Affirmed wins. But while we were good friends with the owner I wasn't exactly rolling in it. I figured they were dreaming. After turning them down for the Derby there was no invite for the other two races. That ranks right up there with the dumbest decisions I have ever made. It might be at the top of the list. And I've made more than my share of dumb decisions.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
So have I I got hooked because we owned horses (just to ride...nothing more than that). But especially after being a semi insider when Affirmed won the triple crown.

I highly recommend watching the duels between Alydar and Affirmed in the 1978 Triple. Three very close races. I could have been in the owner's box for the Affirmed wins. But while we were good friends with the owner I wasn't exactly rolling in it. I figured they were dreaming. After turning them down for the Derby there was no invite for the other two races. That ranks right up there with the dumbest decisions I have ever made. It might be at the top of the list. And I've made more than my share of dumb decisions.
It's hard for me to watch those. My heart breaks for Alydar knowing the price he eventually paid for losing those races. He was a valuable stud horse, but not valuable enough to save him from the scumbag running Calumet in 1990.

This is a long read, but it is riveting.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard for me to watch those. My heart breaks for Alydar knowing the price he eventually paid for losing those races. He was a valuable stud horse, but not valuable enough to save him from the scumbag running Calumet in 1990.

How is it that I never heard that. That's disgusting.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Wow, I had no idea about this story with Alydar
Calumet farm is about 10 miles down the road from us.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Rich Strike will win by 10+ lengths today. His gutless owners are going to feel even more foolish that they skipped the Preakness, as this horse was a Triple Crown stallion all the way.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Rich Strike will win by 10+ lengths today. His gutless owners are going to feel even more foolish that they skipped the Preakness, as this horse was a Triple Crown stallion all the way.
I'll take the under.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The order of finish in the 154th Belmont Stakes was:

1. Mo Donegal

2. Nest

3. Skippylongstocking

4. We the People

5. Creative Minister

6. Rich Strike

7. Barber Road

8. Golden Glider

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users