Status
Not open for further replies.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's a matter of numbers and he's on the edge. Thinking we told him that we like him and we're restricted on numbers, so it's not a no, just a no for right now.

We are also apparently in good shape for Perkins. If mom likes UF, there is a real chance we pull him from A&M.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I obviously have no idea how all this stuff works on the inside, but am assuming that part of the negotiations to hire CBN included financial commitments far beyond staff and recruiting. The guy has been here for about a month and he’s already improved the food, parking, and now housing for the players. I have to imagine there’s probably other stuff he’s done for them we just haven’t heard about. How is it he’s done all this in such a short period of time whereas the previous HC couldn’t do it in four years? Was the financial commitment not there? Was it apathy on the part of the previous regime? Was it both? It is truly remarkable the speed with which things are happening.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
How is it he’s done all this in such a short period of time whereas the previous HC couldn’t do it in four years? Was the financial commitment not there?

Vision drives organizations. Billy’s met the right place and time - the UAA & administration were ready to listen and financially able to commit.

If he’s the right guy at the right time, and I think/hope he may well be, we need to appreciate how rare and difficult that is to find. Right?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Vision drives organizations. Billy’s met the right place and time - the UAA & administration were ready to listen and financially able to commit.

If he’s the right guy at the right time, and I think/hope he may well be, we need to appreciate how rare and difficult that is to find. Right?

Right.
right.gif

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Buzz kill.
You know it's a buzz kill, if GBM is calling it a buzzkill.

yikes-david-rose.gif

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I keep remembering the way Stricklin kept referring to UF's "resources" during the post Mullen canning. I don't think the admin was going to open the checkbook for Mullen because after he was here a bit, they realized what they had. Waste of money.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I keep remembering the way Stricklin kept referring to UF's "resources" during the post Mullen canning. I don't think the admin was going to open the checkbook for Mullen because after he was here a bit, they realized what they had. Waste of money.

That’s definitely possible. I was never expecting Stricklin to say “I was wrong”, but I thought it was telling that he mentioned how Napier didn’t just ask for things, but rather had a specific reason given for his requests, outlining the need and result if provided. That may have been both a praise of the new guy and a shot at the last, as
I could totally see Mullen just arrogantly demanding things and/or constantly using it as a crutch for his declining performance. I still think, however, that Mullen didn’t care enough to try to and revamp things and is just content to being a well paid average coach that wins nothing.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

That’s definitely possible. I was never expecting Stricklin to say “I was wrong”, but I thought it was telling that he mentioned how Napier didn’t just ask for things, but rather had a specific reason given for his requests, outlining the need and result if provided. That may have been both a praise of the new guy and a shot at the last, as
I could totally see Mullen just arrogantly demanding things and/or constantly using it as a crutch for his declining performance. I still think, however, that Mullen didn’t care enough to try to and revamp things and is just content to being a well paid average coach that wins nothing.

Stricklin was AD at Miss State from 2010-2016. Mullen was head coach at Miss State from 2009-2017.

So they worked together for 7 years prior to UF, and it wasn't until two or three years later that Stricklin realized what he had? That doesn't make sense at all.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
What it comes down to is The university did not want to spend money and CBN came in and basically told them I want this this and this and I'm your coach and if say this this and this needs to happen then it needs to happen. He's turning us into an elite school again by getting us into the 21st century. You can't just say hey we're the University of Florida anymore, you have to prove to kids that take visits to schools all over the country that we are on anyone's level when it comes to player amenities.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Wait. Mullen was canned. I thought that was only in Singapore. BUT, works for me.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Stricklin was AD at Miss State from 2010-2016. Mullen was head coach at Miss State from 2009-2017.

So they worked together for 7 years prior to UF, and it wasn't until two or three years later that Stricklin realized what he had? That doesn't make sense at all.

To his credit ... OK, I'll say "so far" ... Strickland hired CBN and by all accounts is the guy who focused in on him as the prime post-Mullen candidate.

So I'm going to assume that Strickland thought Mullen was a good fit for Miss State, and its expectations. But it wasn't until they'd both been here a while that Strickland realized that Mullen didn't have the organizational & CEO skills, and drive, to get UF to a level to compete with demon-Saban and be regularly competitive at the elite level of SEC and national championships. That's a different level of expectations. Strickland is lucky that Mullen's effort in the second half of 2021 gave him a reason, and support, for dumping Mullen and eating Mullen's pay guarantees.

CBN is getting the things he wants because he has a plan, which includes clear rationales for the things he wants done. Anybody who has worked in a large organization knows there's no budget money for vague dreams.

And it helps that at this point, Strickland's undoubtedly realizes that his own fate is fully tied to CBN's success.

IMO, the new apartments for the football players is going to be huge, that removes a major disincentive for recruits. It's hard to think you're in a first class program when you're living in old, 2nd or 3rd class lodgings.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, big difference between Cowbell and here. At this point, I don't really care why, just glad decisions have been made and we're moving forward.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
“Great School, wonderful coaching staff and beautiful living quarter’s “
Napier and Co. are getting it done, 07E2C706-8496-4ABF-98CB-BE327940CEFE.jpeg

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I'd imagine watching the leghumpers stomp all over us in year 4 on their way to their first NC since 1980 was a decent wake up call to the boosters and the admin finally realizing that recruiting is the number one priority above all else.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I'd imagine watching the leghumpers stomp all over us in year 4 on their way to their first NC since 1980 was a decent wake up call to the boosters and the admin finally realizing that recruiting is the number one priority above all else.
Having a cupboard full of great Jimmy's and Joe's will trump a schematic advantage with X's and O's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb