Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Local bidness man.
Math!

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
And wrong on so many levels. NIL is 90% of the way to destroying college football. Basketball too, probably.

No it isn't. These universities make ridiculous amounts of money because of the work of the players. Why is it wrong that they are able to cash in on it now? Especially when you consider that many won't make it to the next level and some that will could lose out on the $ at the next level due to injury. You act like NIL is the problem because you are denying that whats legally happening now was illegally happening before. The truth of it is NIL is just as big of a reason we are climbing out of the hole as the coaches out there selling it.

And dont come back with free education BS because the truth of that is a red herring discussion that has a lot more to do with an over inflated worth attached to that so called education. Plus, $ from NIL aint coming from the school.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I don't mind the kids wanting to make money, hell who doesn't wanna make money but I hate the transferring at the drop of a hat and the ever growing "opt" outs. In my opinion having 1/4 of your starters sitting out games at the end of the season is making those games mean so much less and that's gonna hurt college football. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to help slow that down with these NIL deals. Unless the kids injured then he plays to earn all his money, if he decides to sit out fine but he losses a certain percentage of the money.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I don't mind the kids wanting to make money, hell who doesn't wanna make money but I hate the transferring at the drop of a hat and the ever growing "opt" outs. In my opinion having 1/4 of your starters sitting out games at the end of the season is making those games mean so much less and that's gonna hurt college football. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to help slow that down with these NIL deals. Unless the kids injured then he plays to earn all his money, if he decides to sit out fine but he losses a certain percentage of the money.

Opt outs and NIL are mutually exclusive. Opt outs is about playoff football. The university isn't paying them to play, however they are receiving a scholarship.

I like the transfer portal and the one time transfer with immediate eligibility. It keeps recruiting honest.

RivalFlorida

We got weights in fish!
Aug 30, 2018
Opt outs and NIL are mutually exclusive. Opt outs is about playoff football. The university isn't paying them to play, however they are receiving a scholarship.

I like the transfer portal and the one time transfer with immediate eligibility. It keeps recruiting honest.

Doesn't this become like NFL "free agency?" I don't think that is good.

Kid has a good year, then he goes to portal to look for the highest bidder.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Doesn't this become like NFL "free agency?" I don't think that is good.

Kid has a good year, then he goes to portal to look for the highest bidder.

Do you think the players shouldn't be able to be paid then? Its a one time free transfer. I kinda think a player knows why he had a good year and will make a decision based off that and why shouldn't the player get more $ after a good year. If a player has a bad year then they could get told to maybe go look somewhere else dont they (processed)? It should be a fair two way agreement.

RivalFlorida

We got weights in fish!
Aug 30, 2018
The way it is set up now, I don't think its good.

In my opinion, the whole process needs to be reviewed and changed to make it better.

There is no real allegiance to a school, team, or its fan base. In our current system its all about the money, for some.

But, opinions are like *******s--everyone has one ,and most of them stink!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Do you think the players shouldn't be able to be paid then? Its a one time free transfer. I kinda think a player knows why he had a good year and will make a decision based off that and why shouldn't the player get more $ after a good year. If a player has a bad year then they could get told to maybe go look somewhere else dont they (processed)? It should be a fair two way agreement.
Because college athletics is for academic students who want to use their off study time to relax on the fields of friendly strife. If college athletics are to be about the money, get the business off campus, disassociate it with academic institutions and make the leagues development businesses for the pros. The more college sports deviate from this ideal, the more I am in favor of the European model of universities or how the University of Chicago handled the football injury controversy.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
SEC Made $651,000,000. In 21 that number is expected to grow over a Billion by 2025 with expansion and a new contract.
Like it or not it’s big business now and there is no going back.
Players are just trying to get their cut. Don’t blame them.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That's because people like me can't disassociate the institution from the sports franchises. I root for Gators, even the debate team. If that was on TV, I'd watch. So wrong.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
A lot of good discussion in the posts above/ Interestingly, it hasn't devolved into name calling since a certain poster is no longer a contributing member, refreshing. A lot to consider. Not every recruit or player is going to benefit from NIL. I doubt there is a lot of clamor for the image of the freshman back up long snapper? So, his decision is more likely going to hinge on the benefits of getting a college education from a great school vs his dreams of glory and chicks from "the show". The probability that some of these companies or people throwing money at these kids will build some clauses into the contract that guarantees the player stays and plays for a given time, I anticipate backloading $$$ will become the norm for the high priced spread. I've always believed student/ athletes should have been paid something for their time practicing and preparing to win one for the gipper just never thought it would go from zero to gazillionaire overnight.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
A lot of good discussion in the posts above/ Interestingly, it hasn't devolved into name calling since a certain poster is no longer a contributing member, refreshing. A lot to consider. Not every recruit or player is going to benefit from NIL. I doubt there is a lot of clamor for the image of the freshman back up long snapper? So, his decision is more likely going to hinge on the benefits of getting a college education from a great school vs his dreams of glory and chicks from "the show". The probability that some of these companies or people throwing money at these kids will build some clauses into the contract that guarantees the player stays and plays for a given time, I anticipate backloading $$$ will become the norm for the high priced spread. I've always believed student/ athletes should have been paid something for their time practicing and preparing to win one for the gipper just never thought it would go from zero to gazillionaire overnight.
netang has already said I can't say this but the scholarship athletes get paid upwards of $250K for fours years of work.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
netang has already said I can't say this but the scholarship athletes get paid upwards of $250K for fours years of work.
If you receive an academic scholarship you get the same $250K benefit yet you don't have a 30+ hour per wk commitment on behalf of "the university".

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If you receive an academic scholarship you get the same $250K benefit yet you don't have a 30+ hour per wk commitment on behalf of "the university".
I don't think I have ever heard of a "full ride" academic scholarship. I had a ROTC scholarship that paid tuition, fees and books plus 100 per month. Had to work 20 hours a week for the Air Force to maintain it. National Merit Scholars don't get room and board and usually have to work or borrow to stay in school. I think only BB and FB athletes get the full ride treatment. Of course I have been away from the campus a long time and may be misinformed.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I think everyone can see a need for some sort of common regulation for all schools.
Where does it come from? The NCAA has become unless. Is it time for congress to step in?
Right now each state draws up its own set of guidelines which is a recipe for utter crap.

To pay a little tribute to Meatloaf that died today “For crying out loud”

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
shut it douche :grin:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I don't think I have ever heard of a "full ride" academic scholarship. I had a ROTC scholarship that paid tuition, fees and books plus 100 per month. Had to work 20 hours a week for the Air Force to maintain it. National Merit Scholars don't get room and board and usually have to work or borrow to stay in school. I think only BB and FB athletes get the full ride treatment. Of course I have been away from the campus a long time and may be misinformed.
Maybe, maybe not! I know the baseball team has 13 scholarship to split amongst the 36 players on the current roster. They have to get creative and getting grants and academic financial aid has always played a big part in filling out the team. I believe NIL will help Sully continue to bring in top 5 classes annually. Part of the key with football and basketball their is no time left for part time jobs after they complete their academics and team responsibilities. Not many years ago football players were prohibited from getting part time jobs by the NCAA due to booster transgressions in the past . You remember the jobs (wink, wink)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb