Recruiting 2022 Post-ESD Recruiting Thread: 4* DE Jack Pyburn commits

Status
Not open for further replies.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Because college athletics is for academic students who want to use their off study time to relax on the fields of friendly strife. If college athletics are to be about the money, get the business off campus, disassociate it with academic institutions and make the leagues development businesses for the pros. The more college sports deviate from this ideal, the more I am in favor of the European model of universities or how the University of Chicago handled the football injury controversy.

Good gawd...you are so out of touch with reality. Are you so old that you grew up watching gladiators forced to fight to the death against tigers and such so you could relax in the stands? Seriously, that is the most out of touch thing I have read in a long time.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I think everyone can see a need for some sort of common regulation for all schools.
Where does it come from? The NCAA has become unless. Is it time for congress to step in?
Right now each state draws up its own set of guidelines which is a recipe for utter crap.

To pay a little tribute to Meatloaf that died today “For crying out loud”
Oh god no not congress! I would rather toss it covered with blood into a shark tank. Better chance to come out alive than with congress. AOC would "like" it with her dating app and MTG would zap it with her Jewish space laser.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
netang has already said I can't say this but the scholarship athletes get paid upwards of $250K for fours years of work.

They dont get paid a single dime. They get benefits like housing, meals and health coverage. But they dont get paid anything.

I don't think I have ever heard of a "full ride" academic scholarship. I had a ROTC scholarship that paid tuition, fees and books plus 100 per month. Had to work 20 hours a week for the Air Force to maintain it. National Merit Scholars don't get room and board and usually have to work or borrow to stay in school. I think only BB and FB athletes get the full ride treatment. Of course I have been away from the campus a long time and may be misinformed.

And not a single person is paying $ to go watch some national merit scholar take their english 101 course either.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Do you think the players shouldn't be able to be paid then? Its a one time free transfer. I kinda think a player knows why he had a good year and will make a decision based off that and why shouldn't the player get more $ after a good year. If a player has a bad year then they could get told to maybe go look somewhere else dont they (processed)? It should be a fair two way agreement.
Like Rival said it really doesn't matter what any of us think the ship has sailed, it is currently in uncharted territory navigating stormy seas. If I would have had a vote I would have paid all of them, all extra curricular participants, the same rate they pay student assistants who put the books on the shelves in the library (if they still have books or a library). Every hour spent making the experience better should be reasonably compensated, for a college student it's minimum wage.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't think I have ever heard of a "full ride" academic scholarship. I had a ROTC scholarship that paid tuition, fees and books plus 100 per month. Had to work 20 hours a week for the Air Force to maintain it. National Merit Scholars don't get room and board and usually have to work or borrow to stay in school. I think only BB and FB athletes get the full ride treatment. Of course I have been away from the campus a long time and may be misinformed.
Yes, you are misinformed. National Merit Scholars get the Benaquisto Scholarship. (Is available at all of the big 4 yr schools in Florida.) When combined with the National Merit money, it covers: tuition, room and board, books, computer and software, supplies, transportation, and there's some miscellaneous. It pretty much covers everything; and currently that's in-state and out of state kids.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Like Rival said it really doesn't matter what any of us think the ship has sailed, it is currently in uncharted territory navigating stormy seas. If I would have had a vote I would have paid all of them, all extra curricular participants, the same rate they pay student assistants who put the books on the shelves in the library (if they still have books or a library). Every hour spent making the experience better should be reasonably compensated, for a college student it's minimum wage.

Again, the university isn't paying them. And I totally agree that if a football player did stock the shelves at the library then they should get the same amount as all other students. You are tripping up over things that don't even apply here. The university isn't paying them. But lets not even pretend that same university isn't making millions of dollars off the football players. Hey, if a company wants to pay some political science major student for their NIL because of the way they perform on the school's debate team then Im all for it. But I promise the university isn't making any money off the debate team.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yes, you are misinformed. National Merit Scholars get the Benaquisto Scholarship. (Is available at all of the big 4 yr schools in Florida.) When combined with the National Merit money, it covers: tuition, room and board, books, computer and software, supplies, transportation, and there's some miscellaneous. It pretty much covers everything; and currently that's in-state and out of state kids.

...and if I may add, the National Merit Scholar aint making the university a dime.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just dont trust anything these 'insiders' say because way more times than not they end up being wrong with a lengthy explanation about why they were wrong afterwards. There are a lot of realistic outcomes to this story and one very realistic outcome is he is just milking aTm for everything he can get out of them before going there. We will find out in a few weeks though.

the guy on 247 you’re talking about gets his info from a member of the program. He has been muted by the staff member recently on the CRob drama leaking names. Apparently the new site has a program member actually on their message boards.

there is legit info put out that just changes because everything is so fluid.

As for Merit Scholars, they mean an awful lot to a University. I’m sure DG can comment more about it, but my friend’s kid was a merit scholar. They got recruited just as hard as any 5* athlete. I don’t know the full financial trail, but UF receives huge amounts in grants due to their academic standing. So no, I wouldn’t undersell a merit scholar’s worth to UF.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, maybe not! I know the baseball team has 13 scholarship to split amongst the 36 players on the current roster. They have to get creative and getting grants and academic financial aid has always played a big part in filling out the team. I believe NIL will help Sully continue to bring in top 5 classes annually. Part of the key with football and basketball their is no time left for part time jobs after they complete their academics and team responsibilities. Not many years ago football players were prohibited from getting part time jobs by the NCAA due to booster transgressions in the past . You remember the jobs (wink, wink)
I haven't' had a decent car wash since. :(

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Really? I sure don't remember an OV or getting taken to Spurrier's restaurant for dinner.
Do football recruits go on visits via private jets? I know they ate at restaurants nicer than Spurriers. And his kid had plenty of spending money...financial aid, to not want for anything at school.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Do football recruits go on visits via private jets? I know they ate at restaurants nicer than Spurriers. And his kid had plenty of spending money...financial aid, to not want for anything at school.
I suspect your friend’s kid had a lot more going for him than just being a NMS. My son was not recruited in any way nor was his roommate freshman year who was also a NMS/Benaquisto kid.
And I was just referring to the recruiting part of your post. The scholly covers everything and they have plenty of spending money.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Good gawd...you are so out of touch with reality. Are you so old that you grew up watching gladiators forced to fight to the death against tigers and such so you could relax in the stands? Seriously, that is the most out of touch thing I have read in a long time.
Not out of touch. That was my opinion of athletic scholarships when I was on campus and it hasn't changed. You know, original intent and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator