Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sensing that nobody cares anymore. The administration sure doesn't care. Nor the AD. And the coaching staff sure doesn't give a shyt. But worse it seems that boosters and fans have accepted 8-4 as the new Gator standard.
I don't expect anything to change. Maybe ever.

Not until there's a new University President who hires a competent AD and tells him to make UF Football great again.

You realize, of course, that we haven’t actually had a single true 8-4 season since 2003, right? The closest to that would be a completely different version of a season last year that featured no OOC cupcakes, something afforded every single team and coach over the last 40+ years.

I’m all for change if there’s a reasonable hope of a better option. And I don’t mean any of this personally. But this is exactly the type of post that people are talking about when they say the board has lost its mind and is just a bunch of negative talk. There’s nothing to indicate the guys pulling the purse strings are ok with 8-4, and less to indicate this team is even going to have that record.

And to bring it back around, there is no way this staff can continue not landing better classes. The moment we get lapped by the noles, we are officially heading into every year with a minimum 3-4 teams on our schedule that have more talent. That’s simply not sustainable, even for the best coaches. Things will bottom and implode whether SS and KF want them to or not and we’ll simply move on.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
You realize, of course, that we haven’t actually had a single true 8-4 season since 2003, right? The closest to that would be a completely different version of a season last year that featured no OOC cupcakes, something afforded every single team and coach over the last 40+ years.

I’m all for change if there’s a reasonable hope of a better option. And I don’t mean any of this personally. But this is exactly the type of post that people are talking about when they say the board has lost its mind and is just a bunch of negative talk. There’s nothing to indicate the guys pulling the purse strings are ok with 8-4, and less to indicate this team is even going to have that record.

And to bring it back around, there is no way this staff can continue not landing better classes. The moment we get lapped by the noles, we are officially heading into every year with a minimum 3-4 teams on our schedule that have more talent. That’s simply not sustainable, even for the best coaches. Things will bottom and implode whether SS and KF want them to or not and we’ll simply move on.
Noles have the #4 class right now and 8 of the top 100 transfers. They're closing fast. 38th ranked classes won't get the job done.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Noles have the #4 class right now and 8 of the top 100 transfers. They're closing fast. 38th ranked classes won't get the job done.

That’s my argument. At the current rate, and with no changes, Norvell passes us and is a class away at most from a superior roster. That means at least 3, and often 4, games every year we are looking up at our opponent. Even going perfect against the remainder, that has 8-4/7-5 written all over it and will not be accepted by the boosters. It hasn’t happened yet, and I’m still optimistic it won’t(something changes), which was my first statement. But if and when it does, he’s gone.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im looking at last year's record. It says 8 wins, 4 losses. 2 of the 4 absolute embarrassments. And we're following it by retaining almost all the dead weight and a crootin class not even in the top 25. I don't know if he'll be fired anytime soon or not. But he deserves to be. And pretending like last year was really 10 wins is about as pathetic as the holes claiming they'd had a winning season if they'd just been able to play.

Some of the apologizing for this staff is unreal.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Every single coach in my lifetime has had a Montana State, SW Louisiana , etc to pad it’s schedule. Usually two at the beginning and since 2006, one before the noles. I’m not going to pretend that isn’t reality. The 4 losses are the 4 losses. They don’t change, not have I dismissed them. But again, in any normal season, it’s a 10 win season, not 8. It’s not apologizing for the staff or making excuses because we still lost the games we lost.

As for uga, if it’d been UF many here would’ve said “next man up” or “injuries are part of the game, no excuse”. How does Smart’s QB room look like that after 4 years. Not going to rain on our win because of that. But to be clear, Meyer faced a walk-on, true freshmen, backup-bust, and RS freshman in 4 of his 6 games in Jax, not to mention a ravaged OL in front of Stafford in 2008. It happens and no one questions his wins.

Last edited:

Rhvgator

Mar 10, 2021
I’m new to this board, and this is my first post. I’ve been on here about 6 months. I’m a season ticket holder, and my first Gator game I saw in person was in 1969. I was a little kid then.

I was just wondering who do you all think the Gators should get (that would actually come) that could a better job than Mullen.

I’m no expert, but I started knowing a little about football in the 70’s

Dickey - wanted to force players into a system he wanted to play (wishbone) that he didn’t really have the type of players for, and he really didn’t know much about the wishbone.

Pell - came in and laid the foundation for where we are now. He skirted the rules (probably was doing things that many other programs did, but got caught.

Hall - survived for a while with the recruits that Pell brought in. Emmitt chose UF over Auburn. It was Emmitt to the right, Emmitt to the left, Emmitt up the middle, punt. Hall got caught with, probably could have survived if UF hadn’t just been on probation.

Spurrier - perfect coach for UF. He either wanted to give the NFL a whirl, got fed up with UF fans not being happy with “only winning SEC championships”, or upset with Foley because Foley didn’t defend him (Spurrier) after what Darnell Docket did to Earnest Graham, or some combination of all.

Zook - I’m not going to say he was a good hire, because he wasn’t. Gator fans didn’t like him when he was the Gator DC. Give Zook the hook was chanted during the Choke at Doak years. If Foley’s coaching search wasn’t Bob Stoopes, Mike Shanahan and Zook (one of these things is not like the other), Zook May have had a little more chance. Thankfully, he didn’t.

Meyer - a home run hire. He admitted when he was hired he wasn’t going to be a Bowden or Paterno. We thought maybe 10 years. He burned out and lasted 5 (his last year he wasn’t really there).

Muschamp - he was a hot commodity at the time. He endeared himself to the UF administration, but not the fans. He had a different offensive coordinator seemingly every year (not because they were leaving for better jobs, but because they weren’t working out). I didn’t personally didn’t really like him from the get go. He really lost me when the Gators lost to Vandy when he scolded the Gator fans by saying something to the affect that Gator fans need to re-set expectations, then he went on to lose to Georgia Southern.

McElwain - Muschamp had to go, UF couldn’t really take a chance on a unproven, there wasn’t really much out there at the time. Of the not that much out there, McElwain was the best. He didn’t endear himself with either the UF admin or the fan base. Very bad combo

Mullen - we couldn’t go with an unproven, we needed someone that embraces the Gators (Chip Kelly was an even bigger McElwain than McElwain - no way does he do the Gator Chomp coming off the plane). Of the available coaches at the time, Mullen has been the best. He doesn’t have that much staff turnover. He seemingly makes good in game coaching decisions. He knows what his type of players are that he wants, but can adjust to the players he has. I get the feeling that an NFL team will take a chance on him soon (if Kingsbury can get fired by Texas Tech and then hired as a HC in the NFL, surely Mullen could get a shot).

So, if you get rid of Mullen or he leaves on his own, you either need to get an unproven - could be a home run, could be a disaster (then you venture into Tennessee territory). You go after a proven - could use UF as a stepping stone, could be a success, or could be a meh.

Mullen’s offenses have been fun to watch. Last years defense was awful, but everyone’s defense was seemingly awful last year (was this because of Covid?)

University of Texas has had one disappointing HC hire after another. So has Tennessee.

Unless Mullen really does something very bad (violation or worse - and he’s already survived a violation and got a raise), or his team really falls off a cliff in record, I don’t see him getting canned.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

For starters, I’m not sure Newman playing completely guarantees a win for them. Our offense was the reason we won and a transfer from Wake that was not even the definite starter had no bearing on that. But that’s all speculation and hypotheticals, so very moot.

On the schedule, I think my point continues to be missed. It’s not about difficulty. I don’t think last year schedule was some incredible meat grind that we had to endure. My point is simply that in a normal year, there are two lock wins, that the 2020 team didn’t have. It used to be 2, recently it’s often 3, which is why we often knock the whole “10 wins” thing, since it’s basically the equivalent of 9 in the original 11 game schedule. Keep everything the same and simply add those two games—aka, a normal season—and it’s 10-4. The Lsu debacle is the same. The loss to A&M, still the same. Cotton joke approach still sucks. None of that changes. It just wasn’t a true 8 win in any normal year the way 2003 was with Zook for instance. None of this was even a defense of Mullen, but rather to refute the notion that everyone’s suddenly ok with 8-4, which is baseless to this point.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Unless Mullen really does something very bad (violation or worse - and he’s already survived a violation and got a raise), or his team really falls off a cliff in record, I don’t see him getting canned.

So your sayin the brass is comfortable with 8-4 or 9-3 every year? What about the horrendous recruiting we are seeing? Do I have the answer of who else would we hire? Probably not but Mullen and staff suck at recruiting and it will cause us to remain mediocre. How long do we ride that train? Do we go as long as Ga did?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

8-4, 9-3,10-2 etc. All the same. All that matters is consistently beating UGay, 'bama and everyone else that is surpassing us in talent. There is no reason to expect that to ever happen.

There's nothing to indicate that they aren't ok with 8-4. There's been nothing but apathy from Fuchs. And it starts at the top. Fuchs hires an AD known for fund raising and baseball. More apathy. And God knows Mulen doesn't care about recruiting.

Mullin's M.O. is to recruit worse and worse, Even so recruiting better doesn't help. We need to recruit best.
The admin has no interest. Mediocre Mullen will continue to be mediocre and he will be retained until there's an uproar from boosters but I don't even think boosters care anymore. In fact as TV contracts increase their influence decreases.
When I see people arguing about which recruit is the tallest midget in the class I see people who can't see the forest for the trees. In the words of the Clinton crime family matriarch "At this point, what does it matter". We are going to suck for a long time and even a new coach won't matter if the admin isn't dedicated to getting UF an NC.
We are looking at another lost decade.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I’m new to this board, and this is my first post. I’ve been on here about 6 months. I’m a season ticket holder, and my first Gator game I saw in person was in 1969. I was a little kid then.

I was just wondering who do you all think the Gators should get (that would actually come) that could a better job than Mullen.

Dickey - wanted to force players into a system he wanted to play (wishbone) that he didn’t really have the type of players for, and he really didn’t know much about the wishbone.

Pell - came in and laid the foundation for where we are now. He skirted the rules (probably was doing things that many other programs did, but got caught.

Hall - survived for a while with the recruits that Pell brought in. Emmitt chose UF over Auburn. It was Emmitt to the right, Emmitt to the left, Emmitt up the middle, punt. Hall got caught with, probably could have survived if UF hadn’t just been on probation.

Spurrier - perfect coach for UF. He either wanted to give the NFL a whirl, got fed up with UF fans not being happy with “only winning SEC championships”, or upset with Foley because Foley didn’t defend him (Spurrier) after what Darnell Docket did to Earnest Graham, or some combination of all.

Zook - I’m not going to say he was a good hire, because he wasn’t. Gator fans didn’t like him when he was the Gator DC. Give Zook the hook was chanted during the Choke at Doak years. If Foley’s coaching search wasn’t Bob Stoopes, Mike Shanahan and Zook (one of these things is not like the other), Zook May have had a little more chance. Thankfully, he didn’t.

Meyer - a home run hire. He admitted when he was hired he wasn’t going to be a Bowden or Paterno. We thought maybe 10 years. He burned out and lasted 5 (his last year he wasn’t really there).

Muschamp - he was a hot commodity at the time. He endeared himself to the UF administration, but not the fans. He had a different offensive coordinator seemingly every year (not because they were leaving for better jobs, but because they weren’t working out). I didn’t personally didn’t really like him from the get go. He really lost me when the Gators lost to Vandy when he scolded the Gator fans by saying something to the affect that Gator fans need to re-set expectations, then he went on to lose to Georgia Southern.

McElwain - Muschamp had to go, UF couldn’t really take a chance on a unproven, there wasn’t really much out there at the time. Of the not that much out there, McElwain was the best. He didn’t endear himself with either the UF admin or the fan base. Very bad combo

Mullen - we couldn’t go with an unproven, we needed someone that embraces the Gators (Chip Kelly was an even bigger McElwain than McElwain - no way does he do the Gator Chomp coming off the plane). Of the available coaches at the time, Mullen has been the best. He doesn’t have that much staff turnover. He seemingly makes good in game coaching decisions. He knows what his type of players are that he wants, but can adjust to the players he has. I get the feeling that an NFL team will take a chance on him soon (if Kingsbury can get fired by Texas Tech and then hired as a HC in the NFL, surely Mullen could get a shot).

So, if you get rid of Mullen or he leaves on his own, you either need to get an unproven - could be a home run, could be a disaster (then you venture into Tennessee territory). You go after a proven - could use UF as a stepping stone, could be a success, or could be a meh.

Mullen’s offenses have been fun to watch. Last years defense was awful, but everyone’s defense was seemingly awful last year (was this because of Covid?)

University of Texas has had one disappointing HC hire after another. So has Tennessee.

Glad you decided to start posting Rhv. You should fit fit right in with the older posters here, me included. As for the question, I think you have to go "up and comer" like Billy Napier, if he has a reputation as a recruiter. Who ever it is atleast he'll inherit a team ready to win. Oh, wait, nm.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Verbals from Rivals top 100 Florida recruits
- FSU - 9
- UCF - 4
- Mullen & Co - 3
I really hope Malzahnn isn't there for long or we may just have to get used to being number four in the state.

which is apparently fine by river rat as long as we occasionally beat Kentucky.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I really hope Malzahnn isn't there for long or we may just have to get used to being number four in the state.

which is apparently fine by river rat as long as we occasionally beat Kentucky.

Malzahn will be a serious thorn in our side if we don’t get our act together. Far worse than anything Frost would’ve been. There’s a reason he put up a billboard on 75 going through Gainesville referencing the program he’s building and the distance to Orlando. He has the SEC experience, can talk about NC’s, Cam, beating Saban, on and on. And worse, he can do all this without having to face any of the big boys each year and truly back it up.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Mullen - we couldn’t go with an unproven, we needed someone that embraces the Gators (Chip Kelly was an even bigger McElwain than McElwain - no way does he do the Gator Chomp coming off the plane). Of the available coaches at the time, Mullen has been the best. He doesn’t have that much staff turnover. He seemingly makes goo in game decisions. but can adjust to the players he has. I get the feeling that an NFL team will take a chance on him soon (if Kingsbury can get fired by Texas Tech and then hired as a HC in the NFL, surely Mullen could get a shot).

Welcome, Nice post. I have never been there but from what I hear looks like you will fit in over at Swamp A$$ as you appear to be have some glasses that are clearly shaded. But that is okay it takes all kinds.

I will just touch on the past 20 years, since we have been a non factor sans for Leyer the mercenary for which we are all appreciative. Thank you Bernie Machen for demoting Fooley to errand boy for that one.

If the hiring of Zook did not prove to you that Fooley was incompetent, nothing could. For a guy who says he kept a list, Shanahan and Stoops was not a list. The highest paid coach in the NFL and a newish head coach in college at a better place than UF was at the time (more money, more tradition, facilities, etc) is not a list. It is incompetence.

Muschamp I was agnostic about, He was Head Coach in waiting at TEX-A$$ and a well thought of coordinator. But when it was obvious that the bait was not catching the fish you cut it, not cast it out again.

Butters was a Fooley special right along with Mike White. Fooley's way of hiring a head coach after saying he would never hire one without previous experience. Fooley ask the Xerox boy in the office to bring him the past2-3 years records and stats from all the minor conferences. and Voila, that yields you Butters and Mike. Total shyt. Fooley specials.

As for Cousin Eddie: He doesn’t have that much staff turnover
That is b/c he staffs are total dog dykk. No one wants to work for or with him. we have the worst staff in the SEC. Joe Lee Dunn Jr.? Hev? Jules? complete Pop Warner shyt.
He seemingly makes good in game decisions.

To each his own but having watched Cousin Eddie for years and years his game management skills are awful. It was one of the top 3 reasons he was the last guy I wanted hired when Butters was canned.
Gets players he wants?
Yes he gets the guys who don;t go elsewhere. his recruiting skills are lengendary and not in a good way

I get the feeling that an NFL Team will take a chance on him soon

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One, he is considered a solid coach by virtually everyone.
He was considered a buffoon who couldnt get a job outside of Starkville.

He was Tinerc's 17th choice, the third time they hired in the last few years and they went through 12 plus choices each time.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You realize, of course, that we haven’t actually had a single true 8-4 season since 2003, right?.
8-4 and 10-4 are the same thing with the extra cupcakes added to the schedule (3 geographic schools and our little sisters now that Jimbo Bowden Bastard left.)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
8-4 and 10-4 are the same thing with the extra cupcakes added to the schedule (3 geographic schools and our little sisters now that Jimbo Bowden Bastard left.)

I specifically added just 2 for that very reason. And no, they’re not the same records. The cupcakes have always counted to win totals, regardless of how no competitive they may be. Try telling Spurrier he was 7-2 in ‘90, 7-4 in ‘92, 7-4 in ‘99, and see how it goes.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

What the F are you talking about? We lost to 3 teams that would have been on our schedule anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.