Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well that honeymoon didn't last long.

I wondered if UF in the negotiations required him to continue to offer some percentage of UF's commitments. It looks bad for the University, the program and the coach for a new coach to come in and dump all the committed guys.

It is of course not clear if Napier was willing to take Gibbs or not. Then of course he was not able to pull back in Bond if he wanted him. Now two more guys, Evers and Smith, "decomit," but did Napier want to keep them or not.

Still as you say, Napier is plowing through his good will with the fan base quite quickly.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gibson, CJ Smith, and Lightsley haven’t been contacted. CJ Smith and Evers decommit. This is a fiasco.

I hope it’s part of his plan.

Don't be that guy! LOL

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Isaiah Bond to Bama.

another WR just decommitted from LSU’s class. Three or four star kid. Maybe a chance there.

Napier offered a 3star WR this afternoon. Caleb Douglas.

also trying to flip a CB commit whose verbal is to the cocks. Emory Floyd.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
CJ Smith looks UT bound.

Napier trying to flip 320 lb OL Jaylen Early from FSU. He has one official visit left and they’re trying to get him here. He’s teammates with a FSU TE commit and they seem a package deal. You get one you get the other…

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
I really would like to know who he wants and who he is just chasing off? He hasn't given much of an idea yet what he wants in the players he's looking for. Maybe he is just saying things to some commits to make them move on, without coming out and just telling them they don't fit his plan. I really want to be onboard so this is how I am going to choose to look at it. We will see more in weeks and months to come that will show more one way or the other.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm content to let Napier do his job. Does it feel good to see talented guys decommit? Of course not. However, if you show up to the barbecue late and there's a half plate of leftover food, do you just settle and take what's there or do you ask for a clean plate and wait for the food you actually want, even if it comes out later? I think most would do the latter. I don't care which recruit we miss on this cycle. I only care that we're set up to have top 5 recruiting classes in the coming years. I'm sure Nick Evers is a good kid, but if Napier has taken a bit of time and likes another QB better, he should try to get his guy. Whether he's a success or failure at UF, there is no reason that Napier should not bring in the players and personell HE wants. He can only control his current roster to a degree aside from relying on the portal, but he can certainly control who he recruits into the program going forward. Let the man do his job properly. Attrition is necessary before addition.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I keep seeing people say he wanted to be the only QB in the class he's in.
#1 - Scared money don't make money (be a competitor)
#2 - Who was he told we are going after?

ULL was the very first school to offer 5* Walker Howard, who seemed intrigued when Napier got hired.....but one would think it's a little late on that one

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is just speculation on Evers. I haven’t watched a snap of him playing. But, Dopey did like projects. Just because they have a high ranking doesn’t mean they are polished. It just means they have a lot of physical ability. Is Evers a Franks or Joe Milton type?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Why would Napier take an inhome visit in the precious few days left before ESD to tell Evers to decommit? Makes no sense.

It just seems that whatever he was selling Evers was not buying. It is what it is. This could be the worst transition class we ever had in decades.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I didn't realize how incredibly....let's say "involved" his parents were. We don't need someone who's going to publicly question the coach is all I'll say.
It does suck to lose Evers, but it is what it is at this point.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
Maybe Evers is a pocket QB and doesn't want or can't run well which makes him not wanted by the new coaching staff. I know from watching ULL that they like a mobile QB and he may not fit that mold. He could be more like Trask or Franks and running is something he does only if he has to.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Evers is a pocket QB and doesn't want or can't run well which makes him not wanted by the new coaching staff. I know from watching ULL that they like a mobile QB and he may not fit that mold. He could be more like Trask or Franks and running is something he does only if he has to.
:stirpot: :eek3:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is just speculation on Evers. I haven’t watched a snap of him playing. But, Dopey did like projects. Just because they have a high ranking doesn’t mean they are polished. It just means they have a lot of physical ability. Is Evers a Franks or Joe Milton type?
I will say that he has an awkward release and he holds the ball low as he is about to pass. SOS always had his QBs hold the ball up near their head as they throw.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The article i read on Evers was that he had a super quick release and a lot of velocity. It didn't mention accuracy or mental ability. Maybe he's lacking there?

As for the rest, I'm not worried, yet. Everyone is losing commits this year. Given how much these kids loved to be coddled, I'm not surprised some guys are leaving. Besides, are we really quibbling over Mullen recruits when Napier's been on the job for 3 days?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Why would Napier take an inhome visit in the precious few days left before ESD to tell Evers to decommit? Makes no sense. It just seems that whatever he was selling Evers was not buying.

This is probably true. Taking what @williston_gator said, a team is not getting more than one stud QB. If Napier tried to sell Evers on two QBs, that will almost always backfire. He isn't Saban, Swinney, or Riley. This is why, if Mullen wanted a second QB in the class, he took a player like Kitna who won't be seen as actual competition.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is probably true. Taking what @williston_gator said, a team is not getting more than one stud QB. If Napier tried to sell Evers on two QBs, that will almost always backfire. He isn't Saban, Swinney, or Riley. This is why, if Mullen wanted a second QB in the class, he took a player like Kitna who won't be seen as actual competition.
I thought Evers was reaching out to Howard, trying to get him into this class.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some rumors floating that Napier is asking kids to sign in Feb because the coaches want to evaluate everyone.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Maybe Evers realized the class has been gutted of its best pass catchers, and he wants to go somewhere where he'll have bonafide WRs and TEs to throw the ball to. This basically came on the heels of Bond committing to Bama, and CJ Smith decommitting from the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.