Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I want every single member of Gatorchatter to make a post in this thread with their thoughts. No exceptions. Lurkers, pipe up.

This is somewhat long - anyone who responds with "TLDR" gets a ban.

I got to thinking about some things today after Swamp Donkey went nuts out the blue, called me names, and was banned for a week. Then I got an email from him basically saying we'd become Swamp Gas because of my insistence of the board being positive about this hire. He made me think, he often does. This thread isn't about Donkey, but I will say I don't know if he'll return or not.

We've always been known around the Gator Nation as the "negative" board, which I understand. Since Gatorchatter was launched in 2014, there really has been very little to be happy about. The brand has taken a complete dive, dropping UF out of the elite schools that annually challenge for titles. Hence, being negative hasn't bothered me, since we were just dealing with reality and the truth of the situation. However, Donkey made me think of something today, and that's this.

Some people are negative about the program because the program is bad, some people are negative about the program because they want to be negative. They actually enjoy the bashing and negativity. When something positive happens, they don't really like it. They get some kind of kick or power from wallowing in the mud.

While I certainly don't like blind pumperism, being "woe is me" on Gatorchatter for 7+ years now has really taken a toll. We've complained about a lot, and rightfully so. The garbage facilities, the constant cheap tactics from the administration (other than overpaying bad head coaches), their seeming to embrace mediocrity while other schools pass them by, it has really sucked. The product on the field has obviously also suffered as a result.

HOWEVER...

Everything seems to finally be changing. Mullen and his embarrassing group have been jettisoned. The Heavener Complex (which really is nice) is supposedly almost done. Stricklin has decided to throw money in places that we've been demanding for years. No matter what you think of Billy Napier's X's and O's, he certainly seems to have the right attitude about what needs to be done, starting with recruiting. We're going to have a lot more eyes on the team and our opponents. These are going to be a functional, prepared teams. There's a lot to be happy about.

Even after all this came to light, many members of this board were so beaten down (and I really do understand) that they couldn't help be miserable anyway. They hated the hire, they hated everything. It bugged me. It's like they were happier when they were upset, down and pissed. I feel like they would have hated almost any hire just out of reflex. This is the kind of thing I would like to see turn around on this board.

My draconian tactics to control the misery are over - I think I made whatever point I was going for. I'd like for each of you, as part of a 2022 resolution, to attempt to change your mindset about this program. We asked for things and we got them. It really is a new day and it feels like it.

Discuss.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
JRDR (Just right; did read)

With that out of the way, I agree that the last several years (and the coaches during those years) have really brought Gator Nation down. It's time that we all put our support behind Napier and the possibility that he will turn this thing around.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think most here are on board with Napier. The increased staff and his focus on recruiting is a welcome development. I will support him until he gives me reason not to , and I hope he knocks this out of the park.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
You know what they say about "habits"...It can take anywhere from 18 to 254 days for a person to form a new habit and an average of 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic. Like you said, we've basically been programmed into mediocrity and negativity the last decade and I'm sure I speak for most when I say "I'm f-ing sick and tired of being sick and tired" when it comes to this program and the AA, etc. Sad that we became a Top 5 University academically, but have regressed so badly athletically. Here's to 2022 being a new era and the launch of a successful run of winning, championships and kicking ass :chomp:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
TLDNFR...:stirpot:

Just kidding. I read it and get it. I left (technically not my choice, but I knew it was going to happen) Gator Country after about ten years die to getting tired of mods getting pissy about petty complaints about the program.

I joined here in 2017 and, frankly, the negativity fed my negative feelings about the new hire and the program direction. I took a long break until this year. I could no longer suffer alone (I have a mixed marriage - my wife went to Nebraska).

I appreciate the banter and don't mind the negativity here any more than I mind the nutswinging. And I appreciate that I don't have to be shy for fear of offending - so sick of that shyt!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am with you on the football program and I am hoping for the best in the years to come. As a result I am taking the high road when discussing the latest.

However, being a very passionate gator basketball fan for 40 years now, I maintain the right to continue to be negative when discussing the free fall we have witnessed for the last 5-6 years. When Scottie addresses that disaster I will be ready for sunny days ahead.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't down on the hire, I was down on the admin after their cheapness over the last decade except giving coaches fat contracts and unwarranted extensions. SO I didn't believe that they would open the wallet to give Napier what he needs to succeed.

He saw the bama & clemson machines,, he knows what it takes to build a program to compete for national titles. From what we are hearing, things are definitely moving in the right direction. The "army of analysts" that he mentioned in his presser was music to the ears. Mullen never started a game looking prepared...

The 2 biggest things will be what staff he hires and recruiting,, because bottom line is, you need the talent to compete with their talent, doesn't matter how many analysts there are back in the office.

I'm all aboard ...

Go Gators

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Being negative about the program and being negative because you hate life are separate discussions, so I agree and applaud you as its getting harder and harder to distinguish the difference around here lately

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Ham sammich…

however, I do agree with you 100%. I’m not sure there’s been anyone more negative than me over the past few years; but I do believe it’s time for a fresh approach, because this hire and the direction things are going, have most definitely changed. No one knows what the results will ultimately be, but it is clear that the approach is MUCH better than we’ve seen in a long f*cking time.

And that reason alone is enough to make me hope for something better. I’m onboard the Napier train. It may come off the rails at some point, but until then, I’m gonna try to enjoy the scenery for a change. The view is a helluva lot better than what we have been looking at.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it’s futile to try and tell anyone how they should think or feel about anything. Some folks are just negative and critical by nature. Others have been beaten into submission. Some just want to go along with crowd.
Point being, I’ve always appreciated you letting the board dictate what’s acceptable and what’s not. Don’t really understand why you’ve started to try and control the narrative. Personally, I’m excited about the hire but I don’t mind hearing from those that aren’t.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We calls it as we sees it here. When the product on the field sux, we say so. If that has become illegal, please let me know. And I refuse to be positive as long as Fooley is around. Hopeful, maybe, but Fooley's got to go!

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
FTR I agree both with the draconian tactics to start with as well as knocking them off now. This is basically a free board and I love it.

Pumper or dumper your gunna catch flack from other members. I think we will do a decent job of policing ourselves. I think we are mostly positive here now with the admin loosening the purse strings. As I've said before I haven't been this excited since Urbs was hired and I'll be pumping until it's obvious we ain't trying.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:grouphug:

:highfive:

:pumper:

:swampqueen:

:yes:

I'm not always negative and I'm not full of misery....... I wasn't happy with the Mullen hire, from day one. I spoke my mind but I got tired of the constant drum of Hate directed at all things touched by Mullen. I stuck it out because there are some really smart and funny posters here. I learned alot from the opinions and Banter found here. There is not a better Forum for Gator's to share the up's and down's of Fandom. I would like for this Forum to continue into the new era of Gator Football without the need to fit some 1 size fit's all mold. Win or lose, we are Gators by the Grace of God!

Keep up the good work and please continue to share your real feelings about the State of Gator Sports.

Who's Mother was rammed last night? :scoff3:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
tumblr_n5btksoYlI1qbxi45o1_500.gif

tumblr_niicliozb31r2csa0o1_400.gif

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Great post, Ox. I hope Coach Nap delivers on what he said we will do and will be as a football team, and I hope Donk returns. The place won't be the same without him.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Some guys are negative because nothing pleases them. Some remain negative even when they have reason to be positive. Most that have followed Gator football for any amount of time were never excited about Mullen because they remember he was fairly mediocre here as Urb’s OC before being fairly mediocre at MSU. He was a desperate hire after Frost blew us off and Kelly left us at the altar. There was reason to be negative, even when he was winning despite himself. Right now we have a new head coach that is already running circles around the old one with his emphasis on recruiting. What’s not to be happy about? Now if 2 years from now we are still 5th in the SEC East and pulling in 15th or above racked recruiting classes then it might be time to start thinking if this was a good move or not. Barring a total meltdown where we go 4-8 the next two years, We are a good 3 years away from even worrying about it IMO. Besides, now CMW has given us something to focus our negativity on again so football should be good! As for me, I’m going to take Dr Leo Marvin’s advice a take a vacation from my problems for the next 3 years, at least the football one’s anyway! Baby steps Baby!!

giphy.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want a "pumper" board. If something sucks, we should say so. However, let's not make drama up so we can b!tch about it out of habit. Stuff like hand-wringing when Napier says "it's not all about stars" are the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's a Chimp/Butters/Cousin Eddie reflex.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TLDNR. There, I said it. Actually not a bad post Ox. But be prepared. Even if we've made the right hire, it takes a long time for an aircraft carrier to do a 180. When the news that Napier might be hired my first reaction was, oh crap here we go again. I've since become cautiously optimistic.

I'm old and much grumpier than I used to be. In view of that, I ask for special dispensation.

OH and it's not 2022 yet. Can we still raise hell until the turn of the year? Think basketball.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There isn't a single thing to complain about in the Napier era thus far. Everything that has been done is in the exact direction we have wanted since Meyer left. Im excited about the future and refuse to complain about the potential of this or that until it becomes realized.

And the negative brand of this board has been vindicated. Less than 2 months ago you couldn't say a thing about muLLLLLLen needing to be fired at places like swamp@ss without morons over there ridiculing you for being too negative. Now they are saying the exact same things about muLLLLLLen that has been said here since the get go.

Gatorchatter is a great board and I appreciate its existence. There are some negative nellies here for sure but they are known and they are not the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator