Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if the intent is to elicit feedback on the state of the board, or the state of the program. Those are two very different things. But since you specifically asked lurkers to post, I'll drop my two bits... Maybe a dollar.

The board: I rarely post because it's pretty toxic here. I know I can skip everything beyond page 1 of a thread, as it's just members talking **** and attacking other members.

The program: was it a big sexy splash hire? Nope. But it's the first hire since urbz decided to bang a boosters wife, that I researched and actually liked *before* the various boards started pumping him.

The fan base freaking out 3 days in and only 2 official hires announced? Y'all need to calm your tits.
I feel that I can speak for a large segment of society when I say that active tits are much more fun than calm tits. You should think about this before you post again.

giphy.gif

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You're going to find a lot of disagreement on this. Certainly from me. The program is absolutely in the position of needing a complete rebuild.

Obviously Stricklin agreed with Napier on this.

Well if everyone already agree, posting my comment would be boring. That is in some sense the entire point of this thread.

The program is not in nearly as bad shape as it was in 1990. In 1990 there was no need to tear down the program before building it up. Similarly even in 2005 there were problems in the program in terms of entitlement, but Meyer did not completely tear down the program to rebuild it.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As far as the board goes I've never found it to be too toxic or anything and I've been around since gsmb days. I do tend to take long breaks from posting but that has nothing to do with gatorchatter or the people here. I just don't post much on any board. And this is the only Gator board I post on at all. Maybe my tolerance for toxicity is higher than average but I find most of the bickering to be funny and an indication of how much passion we all have for the Gators. Maybe the board would be a bit more popular and lurkers might post more if mods took a bit more action on the toxicity.... but would it still be Gatorchatter if they did?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You're going to find a lot of disagreement on this. Certainly from me. The program is absolutely in the position of needing a complete rebuild.

Obviously Stricklin agreed with Napier on this.

This is Napier's exact words at his presser, but nobody wants to listen, instant gratification:

"You guys are probably going to get frustrated with me. We're going to be very patient, and calculated about everything that we do." - Billy Napier, first press conference as UF coach

I'm expecting a 6-6, 7-5 type season next year (he went 7-7 his first year at ULL). Anything better than that is gravy. I expect 2023 to be a very good year and every year after that.....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well if everyone already agree, posting my comment would be boring. That is in some sense the entire point of this thread.

The program is not in nearly as bad shape as it was in 1990. In 1990 there was no need to tear down the program before building it up. Similarly even in 2005 there were problems in the program in terms of entitlement, but Meyer did not completely tear down the program to rebuild it.
It's far worse now compared to the other elite college football schools than it was in 1990 or 2005.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This is Napier's exact words at his presser, but nobody wants to listen, instant gratification:

"You guys are probably going to get frustrated with me. We're going to be very patient, and calculated about everything that we do." - Billy Napier, first press conference as UF coach

I'm expecting a 6-6, 7-5 type season next year (he went 7-7 his first year at ULL). Anything better than that is gravy. I expect 2023 to be a very good year and every year after that.....

Those words should have been expressed to Stricklin/Foley before the hire. Then Stricklin/Foley should have evaluated whether or not that sounds like a guy ready to step into a program that had won the SEC east 3 out of the last 7 seasons and fired the two coaches who led those 7 teams.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gator football the last ten years had the same mentality as GM in the 1970's, who kept putting out the same trash cars that they just knew people would buy because they are GM. They ignored the upcoming Japanese cars, who were superior in quality. It cost them dearly starting in the 80's.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I'm expecting a lack luster year next year as well. But it won't be because of Napier. The coaches and admins have been digging a hole since the 90s and we aren't gonna climb out of it in 1 off-season. But at least we now have the admins acknowledging the issues we've all been screaming about for years, and a coach with a plan to fix all of it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Gator football the last ten years had the same mentality as GM in the 1970's, who kept putting out the same trash cars that they just knew people would buy because they are GM. They ignored the upcoming Japanese cars, who were superior in quality. It cost them dearly starting in the 80's.

Blockbuster Video is another analogy.....smh

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It's far worse now compared to the other elite college football schools than it was in 1990 or 2005.

So your argument is that UF is in far worse shape than 1990 when:

1. Four players had been suspended for betting on college football games?

2. UF was coming off a probation that limited UF's scholarships numbers to as low as 75 when other programs could have 95 scholarship players?

3. UF had gone 6-5, 6-6, 7-5 and 7-5 the prior four seasons?

4. UF had to fight in state against powerful FSU and Miami programs and UF was clearly behind them.

If you are old enough, I think your memory is failing you. If you are not old enough, I think you need a bit of historical perspective of where UF was in 1990.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As far as the board goes I've never found it to be too toxic or anything and I've been around since gsmb days. I do tend to take long breaks from posting but that has nothing to do with gatorchatter or the people here. I just don't post much on any board. And this is the only Gator board I post on at all. Maybe my tolerance for toxicity is higher than average but I find most of the bickering to be funny and an indication of how much passion we all have for the Gators. Maybe the board would be a bit more popular and lurkers might post more if mods took a bit more action on the toxicity.... but would it still be Gatorchatter if they did?
Jules.jpg

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This man has a C4 Corvette so he knows what he's talking about

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will be exactly how I've always been. I'm not a big money donor so I have zero influence over who's hired and who's fired. All I can do is watch and hope for the best and that's what I always do with a new coach and staff. I hope they're what we want them to be. I pull for them to succeed until they show me their way of doing things isn't going to lead to success, or the kind of success we expect here at UF football anyway. Then I start speaking my mind about what I've been seeing. I do think sometimes it's felt pretty negative around here. Often I think it gets negative earlier than is warranted, but...then I end up getting proven wrong and that the people who started complaining "too early" were actually right. I've learned to keep my mouth shut mostly and just watch and see how things develop. Especially this last time around with Mullen. I didn't initially want him. I think most that've been around here a while know that. I was told to go away for breaking the news when Mullen was about to be hired because it bucked the narrative being told around here at the time. Anyway, enough about that. The point is, I didn't want Mullen. But we had early success under his leadership so I was pretty happy. But recruiting never started inching up towards to the top of the rankings. Our defense kept seeming to get worse and worse. The offense started well and then after bama seemed to drop off and we were a turn-over machine with EJ out there and Mullen didn't seem to want to play AR15. Some of that was injury I know, but we also heard reports he was cleared to play yet Mullen wouldn't play him. We all saw AR15 was the guy with the obvious higher skill set. And that wasn't the first time we'd seen players playing over guys we thought looked better. All this added up to me finally coming around to Mullen needed to go. I was close at the end of 2020, but 2021 just confirmed my gut feelings were right. So these are my Gatorchatter lessons learned. A lot of dudes here on this forum are smarter than I am. Or maybe I'm just a pumper at heart and hold out hope for longer than most. Either way, I do eventually tend to see the light and understand the negativity wasn't unwarranted after all. It does suck around here at times though when things start going south. The negativity can weigh on a person after a while if it's all negative all the time. Hopefully our new coach and staff will bring a happier board. Our own Gatorchatter utopia if you will.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Are there times when people get too pissed at each other and throw some over-the-top insults around? Sure, but I don't think that is all that common,

Well you're probably much better liked than me. So....

:mac:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Personally, I like the Bachelorette analogy about thinking all we needed to do was win the pillow fight.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve liked all the posts in this thread except this one. Yeesh.

First off, your takes on Napier are idiotic. It’s people like you pearl clutching over every little thing he has said or done in the 72 hours he’s been the coach (because you hate the hire) are what drive me nuts.

Also, this is not a “free” board and never has been. There are no rights or Freedom of Speech. It’s a dictatorship, with a pretty loosey goosey dictator.

If I’ve ruined anyone’s concept of a free board “forever”, feel free to leave. I understand my style isn’t for everyone. I used to have fantasies about a massive board that would bring in enough revenue for me to quit my job, but those dreams are over. I dug out a small niche and I’m happy with it. If some people decide it isn’t their cup of tea, so be it.
:drunk2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator