2022 State of the Board: A new era for UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
C. I did not like the McElwain hire, did not think trying to be U.A.L would work at UF, but hoped I was wrong and that UF would get back to competing at the very top.

E. I do not like this Napier hire, do not think trying to be U.A.L. with a McElwain acolyte is right for UF, but I am again hoping I am wrong.

1. What does the “L” in U.A.L. stand for? I can figure it out when you tag Lincoln onto Nebraska, but this one has me stumped.

2. Mac never implemented the organizational structure now underway. That in itself won’t assure championships but it is a huge step in the right direction. The facilities upgrade helps too but the organizational structure and culture improvements plus facilities all together are the right direction.

3. Re: passing, it’s not just clinging to the SOS identity. Look at Saban’s shift from competent game managers to now 4 consecutive elite QBs with a pile of elite WRs. Saban still recruits fantastic RBs but the offense can fly.

Run-first UGA couldn’t hang with them and Bennett’s arm isn’t good enough. Kirby opted again for the safer guy. He should have started Barrett all season in preparation for that game.

Napier needs to build that direction and be the guy as Saban ages and Dabo diminishes.

4. Teeth color is very easily managed by a guy with a $7m income in a hugely public position and with a big, big smile.

5. The fact that Napier learned from Mac doesn’t make him an acolyte. He has learned from Dabo and Saban, too. If he’s smart, he knows how Mac failed. This guy isn’t like Muschamp or Mac or Mullen. He reminds me more of Pell and Meyer. Methodical, intense and able to get into players’ heads.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
God forbid we point out the AD spent less than 2 minutes shopping the discount bin while other programs at least tried to make big moves. It remains to be seen which coaches will be successful, but we shouldn’t be forced to pretend to be happy about settling. Hope I am wrong and end up having to eat crow, but I’d put it at about a 90% chance we are in this exact same position 3 years from now.

90%? I’d say more like 95%.

That would be true if we’d hired Riley or Kelly of whoever else you think of as a “splash” hire. Championships in this league are a supremely difficult climb and come with an 800lb gorilla awaiting at the summit. We have enjoyed being THAT program twice and desire it again.

Did we settle? Or would we have lunged at a name and splash that would also come up short? If we’re looking for someone to be THE guy then why hire someone who failed to win a championship at Oklahoma or Notre Dame - 2 storied programs with all the resources, history, etc.? Who else you got? Cristobal? Venables?

You’re not wrong. I just don’t know what right is until we see it happen. So I’m going to support the effort until I can’t. And I like what appears to be underway. (Critique and criticism are fair game, too.)

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You must be confusing me with your inbred bros there...i ain't that stupid.

Maybe you understand the way the Kracker abortion of the of language is written?
In the spirit of this thread, I've let a lot of stuff go with you, far more than I ever have with anyone in 7 years, in fact. You're the only person to ever post a picture of a swastika on Gatorchatter - congratulations. Enough. For someone that hates political crap dragged to the main sports forum, you've been the biggest catalyst of it in this thread.

That goes for everyone else. No more political jabs.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be part of a board where the owner and so many of its members I viewed as complete human debris. Seems totally bizarre to me when there are other places to go.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The fact that Napier learned from Mac doesn’t make him an acolyte. He has learned from Dabo and Saban, too. If he’s smart, he knows how Mac failed. This guy isn’t like Muschamp or Mac or Mullen. He reminds me more of Pell and Meyer. Methodical, intense and able to get into players’ heads.
I don’t quite get the fear this relationship has inspired among the chatterers. If I were CBN I’d have Butters on speed dial.
I can just imagine the scenario where the staff comes to CBN because they have a problem and can’t decide if the solution is plan A or plan B. CBN can’t decide either when suddenly he has a brainstorm: “I know what to do; call Coach Mac!” After a lengthy discussion, Mac pontificates that the best choice is plan A. CBN thanks him, hangs up, looks at his staff and says “I’m now convinced; We’re going with plan B.”

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
After a lengthy discussion, Mac pontificates that the best choice is plan A. CBN thanks him, hangs up, looks at his staff and says “I’m now convinced; We’re going with plan B.”
giphy.webp

g8trjax

Aug 26, 2018
The gatas seriously deserve a good break when it comes to coaches...he's young, likeable and evidently very well organized. Honestly not much to dislike so far.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You must be confusing me with your inbred bros there...i ain't that stupid.

Maybe you understand the way the Kracker abortion of the of language is written?

Well Dr. Skippy, just based on your level of arrogance and condescension I'm guessing that you must have at least 3 or 4 PhD's.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
3. Re: passing, it’s not just clinging to the SOS identity. Look at Saban’s shift from competent game managers to now 4 consecutive elite QBs with a pile of elite WRs. Saban still recruits fantastic RBs but the offense can fly.

5. The fact that Napier learned from Mac doesn’t make him an acolyte. He has learned from Dabo and Saban, too. If he’s smart, he knows how Mac failed. This guy isn’t like Muschamp or Mac or Mullen. He reminds me more of Pell and Meyer. Methodical, intense and able to get into players’ heads.

3. After Napier left.

5. Napier did not follow Swinney nor Saban. He did follow McElwain to CSU. For that reason and mainly offensive style, I view him as a McElwain acolyte. He reminds me most of Muschamp/McElwain. I can see the possibility of a Pell like very tightly wound coach whose teams only win the SEC after he is gone and a more relaxed coach like Hall takes his place.

Possibly Napier will run a UF style offense FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER at UF. Anything can happen. Heck Mullen ran a legit offense in 2020 though after about half the season he could not contain himself and reigned it in scoring in the 30s against weak teams several games in a row.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I am really tempted to write something about our lousy political discourse. Out of respect for Ox, if I do, I'll do it in the Pol forum. Not sure I will. I don't go there much any more it's a scary place.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
3. After Napier left.

5. Napier did not follow Swinney nor Saban. He did follow McElwain to CSU. For that reason and mainly offensive style, I view him as a McElwain acolyte. He reminds me most of Muschamp/McElwain. I can see the possibility of a Pell like very tightly wound coach whose teams only win the SEC after he is gone and a more relaxed coach like Hall takes his place.

Possibly Napier will run a UF style offense FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER at UF. Anything can happen. Heck Mullen ran a legit offense in 2020 though after about half the season he could not contain himself and reigned it in scoring in the 30s against weak teams several games in a row.
Good Lord, let go of your hate. Only person worse than you is Crete.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is a “UF style of offense”?

I’d say that the 3 past regimes tried to cram the wrong QB into the style they wanted. Zero ability to adapt to the players actually on the field. Hopefully Napier will design the schemes around the PLAYERS

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Since the owner/operator demands a reply, here's mine:

When seemingly half of the posts offer nothing but unrelenting, grinding negativity and pessimism, I don't find it an enjoyable place to visit, that's not the kind of Gator Fan I want to be, and I don't visit often or stay long. I have better things to do with my leisure time than come here and wallow in misery over things I cannot direct influence.

If the tone changes, I'll visit more often and participate more.

YMMV and that's okay. We all make personal choices on who and what we want to be.
I don’t necessarily agree with you, but gave you a like anyway for responding and doing so with candor.

While I don’t like to think I was one of the posters who was/is constantly negative, I could never get annoyed with those who were as I sympathized greatly with their sentiment. We may have gotten spoiled as Gator fans by SOS and Urbs, but they also validated what Gator fans had known for years: UF could be a consistent powerhouse and compete for titles every year.

Once one knows both emotionally and intellectually that this is true, it becomes hard to accept mediocrity (or worse). None of the last three hires before CBN excited very many folks. Sure we all started optimistic, hoping for the best, and that maybe our instincts were wrong, but as the cracks started to appear, well, we knew what we knew. So sure, the negativism comes quickly to the surface. Once a coach starts circling the drain, there’s no point in doing anything other than moving on. And truth be told, it’s not really negativism to say UF should never lose to (over even have a close game with) an FCS school; UF should never have an offense that has trouble scoring, or UF should never have average (or worse) recruiting classes; it’s reality.

The majority of the posters here obviously speak their minds and it sounds negative, because, for the most part, the last 10+ years have been below the standard. To claim anything else insults our collective intelligence. If CBN turns this thing around, this place will be sunshine and roses and be as pumperish as the other sites. If not, it won’t be; but it will be honest.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
3. After Napier left.

Actually he did follow Swinney, when he succeeded Bowden and retained Napier. Last I checked neither Saban nor Swinney have gone anywhere since.

Please explain/translate “U.A.L.”

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In an open forum, there should be no moderation. I'm as libertine as it gets on speech. Even wantonly angry alcoholics should be given the freedom to disgorge their chunder. There is no boundary to art, even bad art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator