2022 State of the Board: A new era for UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, When you went full SwampGas, it just puts the rest of the concept of this being the free board in doubt forever. It is the free board unless you feel it is Christmas Eve and a pony will be there in the morning. Sorry, but it won't. But, you will have cool Ghostbusters gear.

Regardless, the best part of this board, and some of the most negative here, is that they are often right and earlier than the rest of the fans, media, admin, etc.

We can also be hopeful and know we are far better off than 30 days ago, yet still find the lack of effort on grabbing the true Urban Meyer of this coaching class - Lincoln Riley - to be disappointing and another sign that Sticklin is not the guy for the job. Florida football has been at its best with large cult of personality type coaches. Riley is the closest there is in all of college football right now. But, he doesn't match Stricklin's milk-toast personality.

I can simultaneously have that view and recognize that nearly everything Napier has done so far seems to be on the right track.

But, let's not act like nothing is concerning, including his offensive philosophy being so heavily shaped by Butters that he is quoting him word for word to his team. Another example, let's not act like he only said stars don't matter as much as eval or something similarly benign and out of context, because if any of our other coaches we now hate said it in the same context, we would all be killing him. He was asked a recruiting question and came out of the gate with a warning about stars not mattering being the most important thing. If we step away from the honeymoon, we'd see that is a pre-built excuse. To the state of the board question, that is the type of thing we used to be able to notice while also appreciating the budget improvements. Not so much this week.

Ox went full SwampGas more than this board went full negative. This board has been 85-95% positive on Napier and even those who are hesitant aren't fully bashing the guy, but expressing concerns to keep an eye on.

The nuance (and personal insults) set this place apart when allowed to occur.

So the guy that clearly wants nothing to do with the SEC is the next Urban Meyer or Steve Spurrier?

Lincoln Riley is a younger version of Dan Mullen, an offensive coordinator playing head coach.
No thanks.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've been involved in sports at almost every level most of my life. And been to plenty of sports bars, biker bars and even titty bars. In my interactions with people at any of those places and with people in general I try to treat them with a level of respect and civility. That doesn't mean I don't joke around, rib and do some light hearted ball busting.

Zambo, I find you, Ox, Law and almost every other poster on here to be smart, witty, and generally hilarious. I come on here to see that and get a good laugh. Its a message board, I don't take it very seriously.

But there's a line that can be crossed where wit, sarcasm or ribbing isn't light hearted or tasteful and becomes downright rude, mean or personal. I'm sure that line is different for everyone. My rule of thumb is if I wouldn't say it to someone's face I probably shouldn't say it here. If I say something that would probably get me punched at a sports bar I've probably gone too far.

Thats what I'm talking about.
I'm glad you get that, but I really don't see where the big problem lies. I must've made about 1000 mom jokes over the years and every single one of them has been a good natured jab at someone I consider to be a buddy or ally, and I would certainly make the same joke if we were face to face in a bar. Are there times when people get too pissed at each other and throw some over-the-top insults around? Sure, but I don't think that is all that common, and I just take it as a sign of passion for Gator sports when it happens. As I said in a different post, the key to making it work is simply having effective moderation, which is just the in-person equivalent of having your buddies pull you back from a fight if you've had a little too much liquid courage in the sports bar.

outofstep

Mar 27, 2017
Not sure if the intent is to elicit feedback on the state of the board, or the state of the program. Those are two very different things. But since you specifically asked lurkers to post, I'll drop my two bits... Maybe a dollar.

The board: I rarely post because it's pretty toxic here. I know I can skip everything beyond page 1 of a thread, as it's just members talking **** and attacking other members.

The program: was it a big sexy splash hire? Nope. But it's the first hire since urbz decided to bang a boosters wife, that I researched and actually liked *before* the various boards started pumping him.

The fan base freaking out 3 days in and only 2 official hires announced? Y'all need to calm your tits.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Don't post very often but appreciate the site and but here are my .02

I thought Muschamp would be a success and was wrong. I did believe Mac and Mullen were horrible hires and time has proven me correct. For my mental health I've decided to give Napier at least 2 years before I form an opinion one way or another.

I enjoy the freedom of speech this board offers everyone from both sides of the aisle. My opinion has been and will affected by the opinions shared. I pride myself on my open mindedness.

I'm embarrassed to say that I was a paying member for at least 15 years @ Swamp Ass but that site became a totalitarian hell hole because their business could only exist if they remained in good stead with the uppity types within the UAA.

The site can at times become very childish with the constant talk of banging other's mother's, wives and the like but I still the ability to put you on ignore you if it becomes excessive.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
we-all-have-that-one-co-worker-thats-like-this-31009508.png
You son of a bytch

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I think it's a solid hire, can't say he was my first choice. He seems genuine and like a tireless worker, which is the opposite of the last 2 lazy asses we've hired. The commitment from the administration probably has me the most excited. Finally we'll be operating on a level field with the big boys. I do think he planning to methodically rebuild the program, which I don't know if the fan base will have the patience for, if we don't see progress by the end of year 2. As far as the board, I think it's fine. Ox usually gives a longer leash on posting things than others boards do. I've had my share of ban's given to me, they're usually only a couple of days. I know Donkey irritate some posters to death, but he and other posters like Itraz, Cover2, and I'm sure there's a few other I can't think of off the top of my head, have a knowledge of football that many on here don't have. So I usually enjoy reading they're input on UF football. This is still the best board I've came across for UF sports, you usually get all the breaking news here as fast as anywhere else. I'm glad I stumbled upon this site like 5 years ago, it's a really entertaining place. Hopefully Napier is the right guy in the long run and we're beginning our journey back to the top. GO GATORS!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I just hope we give Napier time to turn things around. Harbaugh is in his 6th year at Michigan and we would have canned him already.

I really enjoyed last year with Trask slinging it around, even got a Trask jersey!

Here are two of the problems I see:

1. As I said on another thread, these guys all dream of getting a power 5 job, but imagine it will be pre-Bill Snyder Kansas State. Zook was like that even though he was taking over what had been the best program in college football for the past decaded plus. Napier seems to have the same issue. UF has a good program now. It was good under McElwain and good under Mullen, it just was not great like we wanted back. Napier seems to think the program is trash and he has to tear it down to rebuild it. If he persists in this, he won't last long at UF.

2. Nothing in Napier's past suggests he will ever be willing to run an offense like UF's 2020 offense. I have said to friend, Trask/Mullen fired Napier in 2020. What I mean by that is UF fans were perhaps far enough removed from 2001 to have forgotten how fun a true fun offense can be. UF fans might have forgotten that feeling of an offensive penalty on frist down, not problem. We felt that feeling again in 2020 after not really feeeling that way since 2001. Now perhaps a fan base can change its spots after many many years, UGa apparently had a for the times high flying passing offense in the 1940s under Wally Butts, but they never quite won it all or had a Heisman winner and then they did in 1980 in the middle of two decades of Vince Dooley changing the culture there. Maybe eventually Foley/Stricklin along with Napier can change the culture Ray Graves and Spurrier built at UF, but I sort of doubt it. I doubt it more this close to the Kyle Trask season 2020. We shall see.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UF has a good program now. It was good under McElwain and good under Mullen, it just was not great like we wanted back. Napier seems to think the program is trash and he has to tear it down to rebuild it.
You're going to find a lot of disagreement on this. Certainly from me. The program is absolutely in the position of needing a complete rebuild.

Obviously Stricklin agreed with Napier on this.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ox
Thanks for a great post. I totally agree. I am happy with the new coach and am very excited about the future.
I saw a video of Coach Napier somewhere that was during practice. In it you could see he had a good personal relationship with each player. It was obvious his players love him. I think one of his best attributes is he is a great communicator. He is very likable. He reminds me of Charley Pell a lot. If you can remember the people who cleaned the toilets at the stadium, cleaned them better after Pell came. He affect everyone. I think Napier will do the same.
I hate to say it but the donkey is a cancer on this board. I think your numbers would had doubled if it had not been for him. He is soo negative I left the board for a year one time.
Gator football is about to be fun again. We need to be patient for some time. It will happen.
When Kirby not-so-smart first hired in, from a good source, I heard UGA hired 50 additional people to do nothing but recruit. They would bombard every great potential recruit with psychological good info about their dogs. They do this 24/7. That is the main reason UGA recruits so well now.
I hope this board will be more fun to visit in the future. Good criticism is healthy. Finding fault with everything and everyone is miserable.
Thanks for all you do. I respect your opinion.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if the intent is to elicit feedback on the state of the board, or the state of the program. Those are two very different things. But since you specifically asked lurkers to post, I'll drop my two bits... Maybe a dollar.

The board: I rarely post because it's pretty toxic here. I know I can skip everything beyond page 1 of a thread, as it's just members talking **** and attacking other members.

The program: was it a big sexy splash hire? Nope. But it's the first hire since urbz decided to bang a boosters wife, that I researched and actually liked *before* the various boards started pumping him.

The fan base freaking out 3 days in and only 2 official hires announced? Y'all need to calm your tits.
I have no desire to calm any tits!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am genuinely optimistic about this hire. Albeit cautiously. We haven't had a head coach or an administration with a clear plan to get back to the top in a very long time and it seems we have that now. I've said it in other threads, but I think even if Napier eventually gets fired for not winning enough he won't be considered a failure if he enacts this plan he has to bolster the program behind the scenes and the administration follows through on their promises to spend the money to help him do it. I just don't see any way Napier leaves the program worse off than he found it. So for now I'm happy..... for now.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know, I know….you’re all thinking “8 pages in and we haven’t heard from BNA yet? I hope he’s not dead!”

Well, I’m not dead. I’m very much alive, but after reading some of the drivel in this thread, I’m considering offing myself from embarrassment…but then I realize that this won’t fix most of you people, and it wouldn’t be fair to those who wake up every morning longing for my next post. I do this for you. You know who you are.

This place is an important part of my life. My wife calls it “the other woman”, and she’s not far off. Like @soflagator posted (btw, he’s likely the most underrated poster here), this place is a way for me to escape from the stresses of life to unwind, learn, blow off steam, and to generally have unfiltered exchanges with people I agree with, disagree with, and everything in between.

And there it is. That’s the key. The magic of a place like this is exactly BECAUSE it is filled with very different people with very different life experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, and opinions. But that’s where it gets tough, because people you don’t agree with can get on your nerves, especially if they are caustic, or crude, or abusive. For those who this strikes a chord for you, here is my advice…

LIGHTEN THE FUCHS UP!! Not a single death, maiming, or injury has occurred from a post on this site. Not a single one….0 for 1.3M. Those are good odds. If somehow someone hurts your precious feelings, then IGNORE THEM. It’s incredibly easy - it’s like 2 clicks. But before you do that, consider this - some of the smartest, most insightful, knowledgeable, and funniest people here are also some of the most rude, crude, caustic, and socially unacceptable. If you can put your ego aside for just a moment and realize that in the majority of cases you are treated poorly because YOU ARE LIKED and included in “the tribe”, then you might actually have the chance to enjoy yourself. And guess what? Despite the immature claims, not a SINGLE member here has had sex with another poster’s dead mother. Not once. Even MattM.

Swonkey is a dick. He prides himself on being so. He is abusive, combative, and likely tests to see what your opinion is and immediately takes the other side and calls you a moron for doing so. Think about how ridiculous that is, and now think about how funny that is. He has pissed every single one of us off at some point in time and that is his charm… his contribution. Do we really want a board full of vanilla? Fuchs no. This place would have 1/2 the posts, 1/2 the threads, and 1/2 the debates if he hadn’t been around.

Napier is a great hire. Napier is a horrible hire. Napier is a so-so hire. One of those is right, and nobody here knows for a fact which of those is ultimately true. Why TF would anyone get upset at anyone saying one or the other?

Listen…this place is important to me, and it’s the immaturity combined with some incredibly smart and insightful people that (and it pains me to say this) I feel like are real friends, that is what makes it important.

And if you damn drama queens screw that up, I will hunt you down and have sex with your dead or alive mother. Got it?
171dbb47f0b993c152b552924f3b4278.gif

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I know, I know….you’re all thinking “8 pages in and we haven’t heard from BNA yet? I hope he’s not dead!”

Well, I’m not dead. I’m very much alive, but after reading some of the drivel in this thread, I’m considering offing myself from embarrassment…but then I realize that this won’t fix most of you people, and it wouldn’t be fair to those who wake up every morning longing for my next post. I do this for you. You know who you are.

This place is an important part of my life. My wife calls it “the other woman”, and she’s not far off. Like @soflagator posted (btw, he’s likely the most underrated poster here), this place is a way for me to escape from the stresses of life to unwind, learn, blow off steam, and to generally have unfiltered exchanges with people I agree with, disagree with, and everything in between.

And there it is. That’s the key. The magic of a place like this is exactly BECAUSE it is filled with very different people with very different life experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, and opinions. But that’s where it gets tough, because people you don’t agree with can get on your nerves, especially if they are caustic, or crude, or abusive. For those who this strikes a chord for you, here is my advice…

LIGHTEN THE FUCHS UP!! Not a single death, maiming, or injury has occurred from a post on this site. Not a single one….0 for 1.3M. Those are good odds. If somehow someone hurts your precious feelings, then IGNORE THEM. It’s incredibly easy - it’s like 2 clicks. But before you do that, consider this - some of the smartest, most insightful, knowledgeable, and funniest people here are also some of the most rude, crude, caustic, and socially unacceptable. If you can put your ego aside for just a moment and realize that in the majority of cases you are treated poorly because YOU ARE LIKED and included in “the tribe”, then you might actually have the chance to enjoy yourself. And guess what? Despite the immature claims, not a SINGLE member here has had sex with another poster’s dead mother. Not once. Even MattM.

Swonkey is a dick. He prides himself on being so. He is abusive, combative, and likely tests to see what your opinion is and immediately takes the other side and calls you a moron for doing so. Think about how ridiculous that is, and now think about how funny that is. He has pissed every single one of us off at some point in time and that is his charm… his contribution. Do we really want a board full of vanilla? Fuchs no. This place would have 1/2 the posts, 1/2 the threads, and 1/2 the debates if he hadn’t been around.

Napier is a great hire. Napier is a horrible hire. Napier is a so-so hire. One of those is right, and nobody here knows for a fact which of those is ultimately true. Why TF would anyone get upset at anyone saying one or the other?

Listen…this place is important to me, and it’s the immaturity combined with some incredibly smart and insightful people that (and it pains me to say this) I feel like are real friends, that is what makes it important.

And if you damn drama queens screw that up, I will hunt you down and have sex with your dead or alive mother. Got it?
Luther-nailing-theses-560x538.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

You "rarely post" is an understatement! This is your first post!! Post more often! I'll beat up SwampDonk if he f*cks w/ you!!

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I've not read all 8 pages. Don't know if I will or not. I've been Gator since birth, graduate, 25 year season ticket holder, blah, blah, blah. I'm not an insider and never claim to be. I come to this board for the banter and for opinion. I've offered my opinion on the Napier hire and without going into details I feel that because I'm not toeing the party line I'm on the outs now. It's not a good feeling because I've never made personal attacks nor hijacked threads with off topic bs. I have my opinion in the thread asking for opinion.

I like the tenor of this board. I prefer to keep it real and I'm all in favor of contrary opinion. It's easy to say I loved the SOS and Urban hires in hindsight but those who knew me then will know that these 2 men were my benchmark for what I want to see in UF's HBC and I loved the hires from day 1. It was completely different with Zook, Chump, et al. Maybe I'm just too old school. I hope I'm wrong because I spent 2+ years thinking I got Mullen wrong. I want UF success. Fall is much happier for me when the Gators are winning. I hate seasons like this.

Anyway, good thread. Hope Napier is another Meyer and not another Hee Haw. I'll cheer the team on in any event. In all kinds of weather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb